Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ab_initio
Stupid question, but as a holder of both the Citi AA Platinum Select MC and the Citibusiness AA Platinum Select World MC, can I use the Citi AA business card to *pay* for the taxes and still receive the 10% bonus or do I have to use my personal and not my business card to pay?
It doesn't matter what card you use to pay taxes/fees. The rebate is triggered by your status as a cardholder, not by use of a given card to pay out-of-pocket fees incidental to a redemption.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by beltway
It doesn't matter what card you use to pay taxes/fees. The rebate is triggered by your status as a cardholder, not by use of a given card to pay out-of-pocket fees incidental to a redemption.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I applaud your persistence. At the end of 2014, I called AA so they could count up the rebates for my SO and myself. There was a shortage and they made an audit request, miles posted about 60 days later.
thank you, i'm fighting out of principle now! and thanks for the datapoint - will wait 60 days until my next phone call

Originally Posted by diver858
I have had the opposite experience. Cancelled / changed several award reservations in 2014, received the bonus for the initial redemption, never clawed back.
make sure you double check your mile balances - the clawback doesn't appear as a line item, your account is just short the clawed back miles. meaning my end of october balance was for example 10000 miles but my starting november balance was 6500 miles (missing 3500 miles). very sneaky and confusing for all parties involved especially the CSR.

on the plus side received the 10% back instanteously with an award redemption today - no fuss, no wait. yay for a new year and new 10K limit!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
rebate data point -- 10% received instantly today

I booked 2 one-way award tix to Europe, one in F, the other in J and received the 10% miles rebates (limited to 10k RDM) as soon at the miles were taken from my account.

Since I've topped out for 2015, I'll have to use Mrs.G3's card for the next award.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:28 am

What if I cancel my award flight. AA then should redeposit mile back into the account and then citi will pull the 10% mile off as well, correct?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75
Originally Posted by IamHungry
What if I cancel my award flight. AA then should redeposit mile back into the account and then citi will pull the 10% mile off as well, correct?
Not in my experience
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by amiras
Not in my experience
You mean citi does not pull back the 10%?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Citi doesn't deposit the 10% and thus can't pull the 10% back.

AA is the one that deposits the 10%. Having the Citi card is what enables the 10% rebate, but it's AA, not Citi, that credits the 10% to your account.

So the question would be whether AA pulls it back (or doesn't give you the next one in compensation).

And the other question should be when. Ie, I could imagine them doing a once-a-year sweep to see if any 10% that were awarded were on flights that were later cancelled. In other words, even if you don't see it pulled soon after the awards cancellation, you might to watch your account carefully for a long long time to make it doesn't get pulled much later.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by amiras
Not in my experience
I tried this once, and they did take back the 10%, although weirdly there was no line item for it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I booked Qatar Airways/BA awards with AA miles, award was 55k...is this benefit only for AA redemptions or also oneworld, too?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I booked Qatar Airways/BA awards with AA miles, award was 55k...is this benefit only for AA redemptions or also oneworld, too?
The benefit applies to any award booked with AAdvantage miles -- regardless of carrier -- subject to the annual rebate limit of 10,000 miles.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Citi AAdvantage 10% rebate up to 10K mileage clawback, anyone else had this happen??

I just had an AAward from last year reissued, mysteriously 10k vanished from my account balance with no detail. AAdvantage CS says its a temporary clawback of the 10k rebate I got on the 110K Award last year and the 10K should reapear in a few days.

Any one else had this happen?

I already got 10K this year will that impact the 10K from last year coming back?

How long does it usually take to get the 10K back?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:10 pm

my Citibank AA credit card 10% rebate on redeemed miles didnt post.

Where should I call ?? AA or Citibank ??
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Just booked a couple of OW award trips and the rebates posted as soon as the tickets were issued. So gratifying, and so much more pleasant than the endless waiting, nagging, and uncertainty the system entailed one year ago.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: SPG Plat. AA Plat. UA Gold
The Barclays Aviator Red and Silver will also have this feature. I wish they'd hurry up and convert the cards. I have a big redemption in 8 days and I'm pretty sure I won't get the 10K rebate unless I'm very lucky.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.