Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to primary card holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply to the Citi Gold World MasterCard, Citi Executive products, or some of the Citi Business cards.

The maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles per AAdvantage account. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate.

[/COLOR][/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Citi 10% miles back / rebate for award redemption

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:47 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ftbargain
I redeemed 135K yesterday and got 10K back within 7 hours. Pleasantly surprised.
I need to redeem another 135K. If I wait until Jan 1st, would I get another 10K back as it is on two different calendar year ?
Correct.

6 10% Back on Redeemed American Airlines AAdvantage® Miles
For benefit to apply, your Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open and active at the time of redemption. The American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles the primary cardmember earns through this benefit will be based on 10% of the total AAdvantage® miles the primary cardmember redeems each month during the calendar year. The maximum number of AAdvantage® bonus miles that can be earned annually from this benefit is 10,000 AAdvantage® bonus miles per calendar year and per AAdvantage® account, regardless of how many AAdvantage® miles you redeem in that calendar year. This benefit only applies to AAdvantage® miles redeemed from the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account. Discover all the ways to redeem AAdvantage® miles at aa.com/redeem. Please allow 6-8 weeks after your redemption for the American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles to post to the primary cardmember's AAdvantage® account.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ryId=undefined
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
I've reported in another thread, but there is a confirmed glitch for reservations already made and received the 10% back. To make a change to the award, the agent usually would redeposit your miles and re-book it in most cases. However, the system thinks you're simply canceling the award and it takes back your 10% without giving it back when the award gets re-booked.

The worst part is that it doesn't show on the online activity, it just deducts the miles by next statement with no activity. So your Starting Balance of the next month will be short (of the 10% you received) from the previous Ending Balance.

Confirmed glitch by AA Customer Service and said you'll just have to call back each time to get it fixed. Many people probably don't notice this since it doesn't show as an activity online.
i had the same thing happen on a recent redemption and still waiting to hear back from AA customer service (they requested the missing miles from citi). bummer - i've upgraded/changed award tickets in the past and probably lost the 10% bonus without even realizing it
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:46 pm

10% Rebate question (Citi cards)

Does anyone have both the AAdvantage visa/amex and the new "Passport" card? How does it work if you have two (or more) cards that offer the same 10% rebate of miles you use for awards?

E.g. is it 20% of 100k or 10% spread across 200k?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:58 pm

Neither. You get 10% back in miles per calendar year, with a maximum of 10k miles .... irrespective of how many AA cards you have.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

Well in that case I can't wait to close my Citi AA when annual fee comes, when I can get the same benefit + 10k miles a year from Barclay's
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:33 pm

Do you have to pay the taxes with the card to get the miles back?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by fedaputz
Do you have to pay the taxes with the card to get the miles back?
no.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
You're doing it wrong if you are paying an annual fee on the AA card. You can get it waived every year, with bonus miles.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by MAH4546
You're doing it wrong if you are paying an annual fee on the AA card. You can get it waived every year, with bonus miles.
Can you provide any guidance on how to make that happen? Thx.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Have you tried this with the Executive Card? Presumably it'd be pretty easy to get a $100 fee waived, but I'd imagine it'd be difficult to get them to waive a $400 fee or whatever it is.

Also, what's a Passport Card? Is it part of the passport challenge? I can't find reference to it anywhere online.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 10:29 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Booked an award ticket today and within an hour I had my mileage rebate within an hour. Definite improvement over my last experience where I waited several months. ^
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Does this work on OneWorld tickets as well? If I booked a one way JL ticket for 50K through AA with my AAdvantage miles would I still re ceive the 5K bonus?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Does this work on OneWorld tickets as well? If I booked a one way JL ticket for 50K through AA with my AAdvantage miles would I still receive the 5K bonus?
Yes.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Does this work on OneWorld tickets as well? If I booked a one way JL ticket for 50K through AA with my AAdvantage miles would I still re ceive the 5K bonus?
Any partner.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:19 pm

Earning 10% of redeemed miles

http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2015/...s-mistake.html

Guys

Can someone explain me how this works? I've had the aadvantage card in the past but no longer do. However, you would never redeem of the card but rather the card would send the miles to your AA account.

So can you redeem 67500 miles off your AA account and expect to get a year-end bonus credit of 6750 miles back?

Thx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.