Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

Sometimes it may take along time for a call to get through; this is particularly likely when there are system disruptions and many flyers are directly affected. Check out AA Alerts and see if there is such a disruption.

If you are directly affected and need to talk to an AA employee, the OSO (Off-Schedule Operations) Desk at 1.800.446.7834, staffed ONLY staffed during significant irrops (massive weather disruptions, etc.)

At other times, computer failures may be responsible for lengthy delays.

Link to American Airlines Travel Alerts (and Policies)

If it is not critical to call, try another time or another day.
Print Wikipost

Long wait on the ___ line (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Wait on the Platinum line

Has anyone noticed that the wait time has been unusually long on the Platinum Desk (yes, I know it's not really a special desk, just moves you to the top of the queue).

In the past, any wait at all was rare - and when it occurred, it was less than 30 seconds. I have had to call in several times time week and each time the wait has been upwards of 10 minutes.

Has AA reduced call centers / staffing in an attempt to save some bucks? Are others experiencing the same thing or have I just been unlucky?

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2013 at 8:45 am Reason: restore original post title
Old May 3, 2012, 9:40 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
My guess is that it is a combination of factors:

1. I think AA has been giving out PLT status like candy on Halloween. (just look at UA board).

2. Some call center hours have been cut/closed. (this is rumor I admit).
Old May 3, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
It could just be major IRROPS in ord tonight
Old May 3, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Ord has had a few ground stopd today. Big thunderstorms, United's board is full of canvels and delays, im sure that AA's looks the same right now.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
I tried to call in to the Platinum Desk again tonight to resolve my issue. I gave up after waiting 30 minutes. I've never seem wait times like this from AA.

Am I just unlucky or are others facing this?
Old May 4, 2012, 6:30 pm

There has been mention in other threads about exceptionally long wait times due to the storms around ORD.
Old May 5, 2012, 6:34 am

Programs: Various
We have one thread about having a 30+ minute wait for the "Gold" line. Next a thread about having to wait on the "Platinum" line. May I start a thread to mention that I had to wait on the "Executive Platinum" line for 15 minutes when calling from South America the other day?

Things happen, I wasn't pleased with having to wait, but two days later, I'm pretty much over it. Things happen; mostly out of our control. Sucks to have to be in the middle of things happening, but things could be alot worse, which makes me feel like my situation isn't so bad.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:18 am

Your Wait Time May Be More Than 60 Minutes

Trying to book an Iberia flight using AA miles and calling in. Figured Sunday morning would be a good time to try but got the "it'll be more than 60 mins" message.

Any suggestions?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Wait until there's no hurricane disrupting thousands of travelers' plans and causing AA's phone lines to be swamped.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Put the call on loudspeaker so you can do something else while waiting on hold, and try using a landline to reduce the risk of the call dropping.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:21 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
There are long phone delays due to disruptions caused by Hurricane Isaac. Someone in another thread suggested calling one of the international desks (I think it was Australia in that specific case), saying the wait was more like 20 minutes.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
+1 seriously, there are people trying to get out of a bad weather situation, wait a few days or book online if you can.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I've had a lot of similar messages over recent weeks but always get through more or less within the usual time. I wonder if there's a technical problem?
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:27 am

Didn't think of the hurricane. Makes sense ^
Old Aug 26, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Trying to book an Iberia flight using AA miles and calling in. Figured Sunday morning would be a good time to try but got the "it'll be more than 60 mins" message.

Any suggestions?
Call late into the night.

Though I am EXP so my experience my not relate exactly, but calling at 11pm PST last night, I got an agent right away, on two different calls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.