Wiki Posts
Search

Violation of use of emergency contact information

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Violation of use of emergency contact information

Is it just me - I always thought that providing the details for an emergency contact was exactly that - AN EMERGENCY CONTACT.

However, today AA completely violated my privacy. I am holding an award reservation for later this year. There was a SLIGHT problem with the reservation (nothing to make a big deal about), to which AA called me this morning and spoke to me about it and the problem was corrected. Imagine my surprise, when my emergency contact was called this afternoon (hours after I had spoken to AA) and provided with complete details of my trip, including where I am going, dates, class of service, who I am traveling with, etc. Although the flight is in November, my emergency contact was told this is an emergency and I must be contacted immediately and where can I be located.

I AM OUTRAGED . My privacy has been completed violated, they had no right to give all this information to anyone. I always thought that providing emergency contact information was to be used in the event of an actual emergency, not to notify someone about a reservation.

Has anyone else every experienced this type of behavior?

gnomie
Old May 3, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 7+ million miles
"Who I'm traveling with"... Uh Oh..
Old May 3, 2012, 4:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Never happened to me.

I would definitely call customer service and find out how/why this happened. This is just not right.

I would tone down the OUTRAGE when talking to them, though, as the conversation is likely to be more productive that way.

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by gnomie
Is it just me - I always thought that providing the details for an emergency contact was exactly that - AN EMERGENCY CONTACT.

However, today AA completely violated my privacy. I am holding an award reservation for later this year. There was a SLIGHT problem with the reservation (nothing to make a big deal about), to which AA called me this morning and spoke to me about it and the problem was corrected. Imagine my surprise, when my emergency contact was called this afternoon (hours after I had spoken to AA) and provided with complete details of my trip, including where I am going, dates, class of service, who I am traveling with, etc. Although the flight is in November, my emergency contact was told this is an emergency and I must be contacted immediately and where can I be located.

I AM OUTRAGED . My privacy has been completed violated, they had no right to give all this information to anyone. I always thought that providing emergency contact information was to be used in the event of an actual emergency, not to notify someone about a reservation.

Has anyone else every experienced this type of behavior?

gnomie
Never take your mistress on a trip with an airline you have status on.......
Old May 3, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by randapex

To answer the question, no, this has never happened to me. Then again, anyone I'd put down as an emergency contact would be someone I'd fully trust with information such as when/where I'm traveling.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So you gave them details of someone that they can contact in an emergency and they contacted that person and gave them details about a trip you had listed them as a contact about.

How is this a breach of any privacy given that you explicitly gave them the contact details?
Old May 3, 2012, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Providing emergency contact information is voluntary. Secondly, you do not need to provide it at time of ticketing. You could wait until you checked in at the airport. Those two items are for certain.

However, what AA defines as emergency, and what the OP considers an emergency, seems to be the point of contention here.

Frankly, if I gave AA contact information and they used it to reach out to me, I'm not sure how that is a violation of anything.

Q: Why am I being asked for an Emergency Contact?

A: American collects a contact name and telephone number from all international passengers. Providing this information is voluntary, and would be used only if necessary as notification in the event of an emergency.

Q: Can I provide Emergency Contact Information at the airport?

A: Yes. However, providing this information on AA.com will expedite check-in at the airport.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/FAQs...gerDetails.jsp
Old May 3, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by randapex
Noooooo....who would put the wife down as an emergency contact when traveling with the mistress? Really....Freud would have a field day with that LOL Sorry...the resident psychologist couldn't resist :-)
Old May 3, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's not what you think......

I'm amazed that the first thing people thought of was traveling with a mistress - that thought never even occurred to me.

I'm planning to take my Mom on a special trip and it was suppose to be a surprise to be presented to her at her birthday party, I have been working for months trying to arrange everything. My emergency contact was unaware that my Mom did not know about the trip and immediately called her after being unable to reach me.

So much for that great surprise moment that I had been hoping for.

If I remember correctly, providing emergency contract information was not optional.

BTW - I'm a she

gnomie
Old May 3, 2012, 5:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bad CS? Yes / Privacy violation? No

OP doesn't have a leg to stand on. If you don't trust someone with the details of your travel, don't provide them as a contact. Once you do, it's AA's decision and they made it. Maybe a bad decision, but that's about CS not "privacy."

If you list your wife as your contact and go on a fling for the weekend and have a heart attack on the flight back from LAS when she thinks you're at the church retreat.....
Old May 3, 2012, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I remember correctly, providing emergency contract information was not optional.
You remember incorrectly. The airline is obliged to offer you the opportunity to register someone as an emergency contact but there is no obligation to provide one.

It is unfortunate that it spoiled a surprise, but I cannot see how any privacy issues were breached
Old May 3, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
This sounds like good customer service to me. It may not have been an emergency but AA was expending every effort to contact you about a change. Much better than not contacting you at all and be left with sorting things out the day of the flight, which is a common complaint about most airlines.

As others have said, if you don't want anyone else to know about the trip, leave the contact info empty.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
So much for that great surprise moment that I had been hoping for.
Well, it really is awful that your surprise was ruined. I'd be upset too.

While you may not have a legal leg to stand on, I think you are within your right to at least write to AA to express your displeasure. Who knows, they may throw some bonus miles into your account for the regrettable customer service.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think AA owes the OP an explanation as to what constituted an "emergency" in this case, and what necessitated use of the OP's emergency contact, especially in light of the fact that the OP herself was contacted by AA and advised of the change before AA reached the emergency contact. In my mind, an "emergency" contact is not simply an "alternate" contact with whom AA can discuss any and all aspects of the OP's travel plans, even in the absence of a true emergency.

If AA's imprudent conduct here ruined a planned surprise, I think the OP has a good case for having the mileage redposit fee waived in the event that the OP now wants to cancel the trip and book something different at another time to preserve the surprise.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:36 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've always thought that the emergency contact info was to be used if the airplane crashed inflight. Yes, seriously. Color me as the only one in this thread to be shocked that the airline would actually call the contact about the flight schedule.

The Ts and Cs for the emergency contact info says it must be someone not flying on the flight:

Emergency Contact
The emergency contact's full name and telephone number must be solicited and included using the Special Services Request (SSR). The contact can be an individual or entity, and need not be related to the passenger. The contact may not be a person traveling on the flight. Be sure to include the area code and country code if outside the U.S. The regulation requires only that the emergency contact be solicited. The passenger may refuse to provide this information. For questions on (SSR) formats, please contact your CRS/GDS help desk.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...rg_contact.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.