Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012: Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012: Why are AA fares so expensive / non-competitive (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT
I've booked two separate trips to GRU this year in coach. Both times I booked tickets at least a month in advance. They were $2,500 per seat. Unreal.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy
AA isn't interested in filling planes; they want to maximize revenue, which isn't necessarily the same thing.
They want to maximize profits, which isn't necessarily the same thing.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DillMan
So to extend your logic:

Option 1 = high fares and full planes = bankruptcy

Option 2 = no bankruptcy = low fares abound

So if AA hadn't filed bankruptcy it would be charging less and therefore we'd so better deals. Ok.
I knew it. No wonder AA is in bankruptcy.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:42 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Charitab
Back in 2009 I purchased a roundtrip to Brazil for about $500 from JFK Where are the amazing deals?!
Merged with existing thread for discussion/ranting/speculation of why fares are more expensive these days. /Moderator
Old Jul 5, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAExP(3MM), HHDiamond, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, United Mileage Plus
Thumbs down Another crazy fare which seems uncompetitive

Ugh! I get that AA wants to be profitable, but some of these fares are borderline ridiculous.

Honest question for the crowd. Are they really able to command some of these fares or are competitors undercutting them on purpose?

EX: ORD - ATL, priced today for travel 7/24-7/25. AA: $888 RT all flights. Major competitors (UA, DL, WN, etc): $280 RT. And several of these AA flights were CR7.

Is it just me and the like, or are people that loyal? I know it drove me to a competitor even though I didn't want to.

(ORD-DEN is another rant, but that's another story...)

At what point is the balance?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Less a rant than just puzzlement - I'm flying NRT-DEN on 8/6, and booked 1 month ago. Fares were already higher than I expected, in the $2400 r/t range (~$1500 winter and spring).

Shortly after booking, most NRT-US flights +/- a few days from then sold out in coach or had nothing lower than Y (full) available. There's good availability in business, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Y availability is an oversell. I know summer is peak season, but is it really common for Japan-US flights to sell out in coach 2 months in advance?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:17 am

DFW-IAD RT coach is $1220 in October?

I need a short DFW-IAD RT at the end of the week (either Wed-Thurs or Thurs-Fri) in early October, and need to leave in the morning else I'll miss the meeting. The only option for direct flights I'm seeing are on AA and they're $1220 for an L fare. How is this possible?

AA has conveniently offered this alternative routing for only $600: DFW-LAX-IAD-LAX-DFW. How the hell can two transcons be cheaper than direct flights?

I'm perfectly aware of supply and demand, price discrimination, rev mgt, etc. but this makes no sense.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by soupcxan
I need a short DFW-IAD RT at the end of the week (either Wed-Thurs or Thurs-Fri) in early October, and need to leave in the morning else I'll miss the meeting. The only option for direct flights I'm seeing are on AA and they're $1220 for an L fare. How is this possible?

AA has conveniently offered this alternative routing for only $600: DFW-LAX-IAD-LAX-DFW. How the hell can two transcons be cheaper than direct flights?

I'm perfectly aware of supply and demand, price discrimination, etc. but this makes no sense.
I'd personally opt for the $600 option hahaha. Save $600 plus you would get a lot more EQM. Instant MR and work is paying for it. That being said your sentance about supply and demand is the reason. Non-stop between two business markets towards the end of the week. I was looking for some MR fares between DTW and anywhere west coast leaving on a Friday coming back Saturday. They all priced well above $1,000, however, I was able to snag DTW-DFW-SJU and back in business for $700. Supply and demand.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Passengers routinely paid these sorts of fares in the late 90's up until 9/11. Those who are too young or didn't travel at the time may not remember. However, $1200 from DFW-IAD r/t without a Sat night stay was very normal, as was CMH-MSP at $750 for a 90 minute flight.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:27 am

After checking other days, the lack of a Sat night stay is the problem. I thought that rule had largely gone away?

Yes work is paying for it but I am sick and tired of getting gouged (for both leisure and work travel) by AA just because I live in Dallas.

The best part is, after paying $1220 for the ticket, I will have to pay another $50-100 for decent seats.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Are the dallas cowboys playing the WAS Redskins or BM Raven in Oct? That may be a driver of the high fares?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by soupcxan
After checking other days, the lack of a Sat night stay is the problem. I thought that rule had largely gone away?

Yes work is paying for it but I am sick and tired of getting gouged (for both leisure and work travel) by AA just because I live in Dallas.

The best part is, after paying $1220 for the ticket, I will have to pay another $50-100 for decent seats.
Being based in DTW, the non-stop gouging by NWA was part of the reason why I avoided them whenever possible, amid numerous other reasons, and ended up primarily flying AA. Why would I want to connect in MSP to get to LAX when I could get there non-stop? Its the downside of living in a hub city. Delta appears to be reasonably better here in DTW, often cheaper then AA, but I've earned everything with AA so why change.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Can you fly into BWI and save about $200?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:43 am

I travel to the DC area a couple times a month and that has been the price recently (to both DCA and IAD). One week I found it for $500 round trip. Sometimes I will fly to BWI (usually ~$800) and take the train/metro in.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
.....looking at Southwest from DAL for Oct 9-10.....1-stops to BWI run $146-$280 advance purchase each way.....or 2-stops to IAD or DCA run $171-$313 each way advance purchase..............so there's your lower end of cost and lower end of convenience......or on SW the full-featured Business Select DAL-IAD is $509 one way (with 2 stops).....so there's your AA cost comparison----just $100 more for a non-stop!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.