Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

NY Times Article mentions this board, discusses "customers' committees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/yo...our-money.html

I searched to see if someone already posted this and didn't find it (paging gemac..)

Interesting column in today's NY Times asking whether we as passengers should have a seat at the table in AA's bankruptcy proceedings. Also a few jabs at AA management, saying that they were "outflanked" by US Airways' Doug Parker.

I had always assumed there might be an organized effort once and if AA makes changes to the AAdvantage program, but never considered the option of proactively forming a group to provide input. It also seems to me that if they really want to know what we value, an intern could spend an afternoon on Flyertalk and summarize our great wisdom....

Worth a read if you didn't see it already.

(I've pasted the link but I think mods have to first approve links before they will display?)

Last edited by JY1024; Apr 28, 2012 at 8:23 am Reason: Fixed URL issue
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:54 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's the link.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/yo...oney.html?_r=1
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Typical journalism from neo-Marxist NY Times.

While I can understand in theory why you would have someone represent AAdvantage members (since the miles represent an obligation with a cost behind it), but passengers vote every day of the week by choosing between AA and DL and UA etc. etc.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
And in a companion post on the NY Times Bucks Blog (different writer) titled Passengers Tell American Airlines What They Want there's a poll for AA customers to rate the importance of different elements of the potential merger. It doesn't say how many respondents so far but judging from the results at least half of them are EXP.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by george 3

While I can understand in theory why you would have someone represent AAdvantage members (since the miles represent an obligation with a cost behind it), but passengers vote every day of the week by choosing between AA and DL and UA etc. etc.
Typical attempt to slam an article without actually reading it. Notably, from the article:

A customers’ committee would have no legal standing. Frequent-flier miles, after all, are not real currency, so members of American’s AAdvantage program are not creditors in bankruptcy court. But the airline does not exist or persist without its frequent travelers, and many of the people involved in the bankruptcy conversation seem to be taking their loyalty for granted.
So the article is just saying customers should just get together and make their voices heard, not that they should have any special powers.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Perhaps we could (gasp) learn something from other FTers who were in this situation before us and learn from their success in 2003. That is, after all, why we are here.

If nothing else, for many it would be an entirely new group of people to denigrate and flame.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The customer representative on the commitee would need counsel, who would pay for it?
Old Apr 27, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The customer representative on the commitee would need counsel, who would pay for it?
IANAL... but why would they need one?

Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
NY Times: AA FT board deserves a seat at the bankruptcy table

Now I've seen everything.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/28/yo...our-money.html

[...]

So a customers’ committee would gather enough of those frequent fliers in a membership organization and then negotiate on their behalf, whether it’s for the continuation of valued perks if Mr. Parker or one of his competitors ends up controlling the airline or for the transfer of certain privileges to Delta Air Lines or United Airlines if the customer collective decides to take its business elsewhere.

[...]

There are also plenty of people like me who spent decades diligently adding to their lifetime mileage totals so that they could cross the million mark, which comes with lifetime elite status in AAdvantage. It is unlikely that another airline will match that perk, and earning it all over again elsewhere isn’t a pleasant prospect.

[...]

Who would lead this customers’ committee? SaveSkyMiles emerged from the chat boards on FlyerTalk.com, a Web site where frequent travelers swap tips and chew over the rules at various airlines and hotel companies. There’s no reason a committed group of American fliers who hang out on FlyerTalk couldn’t take up the cause now. “That is a definite possibility and a really good idea,” said José Kirchner, who has been flying the airline since the days of the DC-3 propeller planes and is a co-moderator of the American Airlines section of FlyerTalk.

And what should the committee ask for? It’s too soon to say, since American’s fate is not clear and probably won’t be for several more months at least. At the moment, some of the conversation on FlyerTalk is about any number of parts of the AAdvantage program that Mr. Parker and his team may or may not dismantle, including lifetime elite status and the generous allotment of valuable upgrades American hands out each year to its best customers. “There is a lot of anxiety that is going in about 15 different directions,” Mr. Kirchner said.

[...]
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by emma dog
IANAL... but why would they need one?

Clearly YANAL. If you were, you'd have approximately $550/hr reasons why they'd need one.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:49 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by george 3
I rarely actually laugh out loud at posts on the Internet. Then I realized you were serious...
Old Apr 28, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: American
Let's get organized

I also saw the article. As it suggests, this would be the ideal venue to get AA fliers organized and the time to do that is now. Take the survey in the article and post to this thread if you believe we should organize. Not quite sure where to take it from there, but if we have good response, we can make it happen and have our voice heard.

Originally Posted by goldengate

I searched to see if someone already posted this and didn't find it (paging gemac..)

Interesting column in today's NY Times asking whether we as passengers should have a seat at the table in AA's bankruptcy proceedings. Also a few jabs at AA management, saying that they were "outflanked" by US Airways' Doug Parker.

I had always assumed there might be an organized effort once and if AA makes changes to the AAdvantage program, but never considered the option of proactively forming a group to provide input. It also seems to me that if they really want to know what we value, an intern could spend an afternoon on Flyertalk and summarize our great wisdom....

Worth a read if you didn't see it already.

(I've pasted the link but I think mods have to first approve links before they will display?)
Old Apr 28, 2012, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by jordyn
Typical attempt to slam an article without actually reading it. Notably, from the article:

So the article is just saying customers should just get together and make their voices heard, not that they should have any special powers.
I read the article. The slant is obvious. As it typically is in this newspaper.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:40 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat 5.6 mil (lifetime Plat if i wanted it!), Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
lets do it!

after 37 years loyal to american the NYT article struck home (as if i am ever there) . i dont want to sit on the side and watch my hard earned position in AA disappear or deteriorate.
based in NYC, willing to chair/host/organize an ad hoc AA EXECPLAT Preservation Group, AAEPGP??
contact me if you think you might want to join together
Old Apr 28, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: American
I'm in ...

Please keep me apprised.

Originally Posted by execplat 5.5
after 37 years loyal to american the NYT article struck home (as if i am ever there) . i dont want to sit on the side and watch my hard earned position in AA disappear or deteriorate.
based in NYC, willing to chair/host/organize an ad hoc AA EXECPLAT Preservation Group, AAEPGP??
contact me if you think you might want to join together

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.