Search

Transiting LHR: several random questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:28 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
So if the itinerary/invoice has the connecting segments (and the ticket numbers in remarks for good measure), the connection will qualify for the exemption. The issuance of the second ticket needs to be manually overridden (no tax GB6).
Which would exclude the pretty common case of a revenut TATL ticket to LHR connecting to an award BA flight within Europe. Even if both were booked through AA, it would not be easy (if at all possible) to get an itinerary/invoice showing both.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Before the section where the or is found it states

Originally Posted by hillrider
The connected flights must be detailed on the same ticket or conjunction tickets to qualify for the exemption
The or is part of the restrictions on the requirements for the conjunction to be accepted

From iata.org ( http://www.iata.org/worldwide/europe...ger_rights.pdf )

Originally Posted by iata
CONJUNCTION TICKET” means a Ticket issued to you with relation to another Ticket which together constitute a single contract of carriage.
Unless it is sold as a single contract of carriage , then I cannot see any reason why the APD is not due. The reference to summary of flights is only relevent if it is a conjunction ticket
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Before the section where the or is found it states

The or is part of the restrictions on the requirements for the conjunction to be accepted

From iata.org ( http://www.iata.org/worldwide/europe...ger_rights.pdf )

Unless it is sold as a single contract of carriage , then I cannot see any reason why the APD is not due. The reference to summary of flights is only relevent if it is a conjunction ticket
Unfortunately, this makes sense. When I read the part you've quoted it sounds to me as though it has been designed to essentially handle fare breaks when doing a single booking.

For example, I booked JFK-LAX last week on the same ticket as LAX-LAS next week so that I could apply the same SWU to both (and LAS still hasn't cleared ). However the price was equal to booking each as a separate one-way and the fare bases are different for each leg.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Oh, I did. BA was quoting GBP 75 for the flight; AA was quoting USD 500!
With hindsight, this ticket might have been very good value if originally purchased with CDG included in the fare as an open jaw.

I once got a good deal CPH-LHR-DCA-LHR on AA when I needed to visit CPH before my US trip. I used a separate cheap LHR-CPH one way.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by nbevan
With hindsight, this ticket might have been very good value if originally purchased with CDG included in the fare as an open jaw.

I once got a good deal CPH-LHR-DCA-LHR on AA when I needed to visit CPH before my US trip. I used a separate cheap LHR-CPH one way.
Well CPH is still a very good value (about $1,200 o/w from ORD) but CDG not so much. And since I don't care if CDG is in Y I figured I'd go as cheap as possible. The return flight also doesn't originate at CDG (BOD, actually) and there wasn't a good way to include BOD-LGW as part of the same pricing unit.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:25 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by nbevan
My interpretation of what hillrider said is that they would all have to be purchased through one organisation (in this case AA) in order to be on one itinerary. But that creates a problem: AA don't sell the cheap BA fares (take a look at what aa.com quotes for the extra flight!).
The original two tickets were from a single TA. However, since AA had to reissue the ticket for an upgrade they, in effect, became a second TA in the mix and had to reapply the cross reference to the new ticket.

I'm not saying that in practice this will be easy or even possible for the OP. However, the rules strongly suggest that it should be.

As a great philosopher once said, "In theory, practice is just like theory. In practice, it ain't."
Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sinanju
The original two tickets were from a single TA. However, since AA had to reissue the ticket for an upgrade they, in effect, became a second TA in the mix and had to reapply the cross reference to the new ticket.

I'm not saying that in practice this will be easy or even possible for the OP. However, the rules strongly suggest that it should be.
The rule clearly states that the 2nd ticket must be a conjunction ticket and there is an IATA definition of a conjunction ticket. 2 separate unrelated bookings are not conjoined

If the agent had issued as a single itinerary , then there would be eligability for the exemption

Dave
Old Apr 27, 2012, 2:33 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Thanks. I think I can choose to have 1, 2 or 3 hours at LHR. The 1hr connection could be tight, but I'll just have carry-on luggage and my feeling is that the 2hr connection will be plenty of time, but not necessarily enough to shower and eat, so perhaps the 3hr is best in my case if the 1hr is a close call. These tickets are $100 each so after spending north of $3k on the J ticket to LHR it wouldn't be the end of the world if asked to pony up $100 for another ticket (assuming prices haven't gone up since).
In the instance of unassociated separate bookings I would NOT reckon on any sympathy if your American Flight is delayed and you miss the CDG connection. BA are quite tight on generosity in my experience and the financial benefits of separate bookings are significantly reduced by the uncertainty of connection. (Plethora of cheaper point to point is making them tighter). Without associated ticketing I would strongly recommend 3 hrs or more! BTW you may want to look at ORY as an alternative to CDG. BA is pushing this route and offering lower fares at the moment. I also vote for T5 lounges than AArivals or landslide at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.