Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancel half an award ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Cancel half an award ticket

What fees would I pay to cancel half of an award ticket? I know you can change for free the flights if the destination and origin are in the same place the original trip was booked but what happens if you do the change on the return but cancel the outbound because you found another better option on another airline/alliance? Will there still be $150 redeposit fee?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ckc123
What fees would I pay to cancel half of an award ticket? I know you can change for free the flights if the destination and origin are in the same place the original trip was booked but what happens if you do the change on the return but cancel the outbound because you found another better option on another airline/alliance? Will there still be $150 redeposit fee?
Yes, if you want the miles redeposited for the half you are cancelling.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 8:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There is no such thing as "half an award" such as you attempt to describe it. You have two awards, which are one way, and you wish to cancel one of them. The fee is $150 for redeposting your miles if you wish to do that and not abandon those miles. (If you wished to cancel both award flights on one PNR, it would still cost you $150 - such a deal! )
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AA, UA Gold, SPG, Marriott Gold
I just went through this

I just went through this in February for March award.

If you booked 2 one-ways, its just $150 cancel 1 of the reservations and get your miles back. Or just cancel and forfeit the miles.

I had a round trip booked (a mistake I will not make again). I was fine just walking away from the 12,500 miles and wanted the outbound cancelled, but the return to stay as is (round trip was 25,000). I was told by 2 different call center people that the ONLY way to preserve the return flight was to cancel the whole thing (with $150 fee) and then they would rebook me 1-way on the return, but it would still be just 12,500 miles (even though 12,500 mile options were no longer available on that very popular flight).

If I didn't pay the fee, I'd be out the 25,000 miles (original round trip) and then have to rebook a 1 way for 25,000. So really it was $150 to preserve 37,500 miles. Though it should have been $150 to preserve 12,500 miles IMO. But again, I was told it doesn't work that way.

I hope that helps.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:10 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by blakeIV
I had a round trip booked (a mistake I will not make again).
Surely there are pluses and minuses to both (2 oneways versus 1 roundtrip). In your example yes, it would have been better to have had separate outward and return, but in other circumstances a single roundtrip would have worked in your favour, eg if you had wanted to cancel the entire trip.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by ckc123
...cancel the outbound...
Keep in mind that if this is an international trip, you will not be able to cancel just the outbound while preserving the inbound due to firm AA rule that the country of origin for the ticket can never change.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good point; thanks for pointing this out.

Originally Posted by Colin
Keep in mind that if this is an international trip, you will not be able to cancel just the outbound while preserving the inbound due to firm AA rule that the country of origin for the ticket can never change.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: Executive Platinum

If you booked 2 one-ways, its just $150 cancel 1 of the reservations and get your miles back. Or just cancel and forfeit the miles.

I had a round trip booked (a mistake I will not make again). I was fine just walking away from the 12,500 miles and wanted the outbound cancelled, but the return to stay as is (round trip was 25,000). I was told by 2 different call center people that the ONLY way to preserve the return flight was to cancel the whole thing (with $150 fee) and then they would rebook me 1-way on the return, but it would still be just 12,500 miles (even though 12,500 mile options were no longer available on that very popular flight).

If I didn't pay the fee, I'd be out the 25,000 miles (original round trip) and then have to rebook a 1 way for 25,000. So really it was $150 to preserve 37,500 miles. Though it should have been $150 to preserve 12,500 miles IMO. But again, I was told it doesn't work that way.

I hope that helps.
Interesting. Was this a domestic trip?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
Originally Posted by jagoffee
most likely it was for 25k rt...
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
I just purchased a one way award with miles I had and will cancel the whole original trip and have those miles redeposited into my account.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by jagoffee
Yes
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Random Flyer
Surely there are pluses and minuses to both (2 oneways versus 1 roundtrip). In your example yes, it would have been better to have had separate outward and return, but in other circumstances a single roundtrip would have worked in your favour, eg if you had wanted to cancel the entire trip.
True, but with the other advantage of one ways is immediately booking each leg as they come available, I won't wait to book round trips anymore.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Colin
so i am slightly confused....if you have two one ways, lets say ORD-HKG, HKG-ORD, wouldn't the country of origin be ORD for the outbound and HKG for the return? I guess I am just not familiar with this rule.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

........... deleted the beginning........

I hope that helps.
Seriously, IMHO, 12500 miles is worth paying the $150 fee.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Guys and girls, there are no round trip "oneworld and other airline" awards using AA miles. What this discussion is really about is whether it is advantageous for a single PNR (ticket) to include 1 or 2 awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.