Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Closures: IAD, MCI, PTY and SDQ Admirals Clubs Closing (31 July 2012)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

From an internal source (have seen the communication so will vouch 100% on its authenticity):

-IAD, MCI, PTY and SDQ Clubs will close. No word on whether the later two will have J-passenger access to a third party lounge like some other Central American airports. (IMHO - IAD Club closing is near-sighted).

<snipped by moderator - Tuscon call center closure now discussed in separate thread>

============MODERATOR NOTE===============

Alternatives for the recently closed Admirals Clubs are included below; if you know of others, please let the moderators know.

IAD (Dulles International Airport, Dulles, VA) = Galleries Club Lounge / First Lounge; Location details: Terminal B, airside, near Gate B50; Opening hours: Daily: 15:00-21:00. Notes: Access to First Lounge is restricted to Emerald members or those travelling in First Class.

Priority Pass: Lounge UNITED CLUB, Location Midfield Terminal, Airside - Concourse D, near Gate D8. Hours 06:00 - 21:30 daily.
Conditions Limited to six guests per cardholder - Cardholder must be 21 years of age or older - Each cardholder must present a government issued photo ID along with their valid Priority Pass card upon entry to the Lounge - Non-smoking. Note: Members holding a Priority Pass Select membership card and Priority Pass cardholders in the U.S. that receive their membership through a U.S. financial institution will not be allowed access to this Lounge

MCI (Kansas City International Airport) = None we know of.

PTY (Aeropuerto Internacional de Tocumén / Paitilla, Panamá) = None at the moment.

Priority Pass Lounge: AIRPORT CLUB. Location details: After security checkpoint in Concourse B, in front of Gates 32 and 33; Opening hours: 05:00- 20:00 daily. (This is the old Admirals Club, and serves as the Iberia lounge for Iberia passsengers.)

Priority Pass Lounge: COPA CLUB; Location Airside - 2nd Floor, above Gates 21 and 21A. Hours 05:15 - 22:00 daily.
Conditions Limited to six guests per cardholder - Cardholder must be 21 years of age or older - Each cardholder must present a government issued photo ID along with their valid Priority Pass card upon entry to the Lounge - Non-smoking. Note: Members holding a Priority Pass Select membership card and Priority Pass cardholders in the U.S. that receive their membership through a U.S. financial institution will not be allowed access to this Lounge.

Priority Pass Lounge TOCUMEN ROYAL SALOON; Location Landside - take the escalators to the 3rd Level. The Lounge is located on the right hand side, next to 'Irene's Boutique'. Hours 06:00 - 00:00 daily. Conditions Children under 2 years are admitted free - Alcoholic drinks are limited to three per person - Non-smoking.

SDQ (Aeropuerto Internacional Las Américas, Domingo, República Dominicana) = Iberia La Isabela Lounge, Location details: Airside
Opening hours: Daily: 11:30-20:00

Priority Pass: Lounge SALON VIP AERODOM; Location Airside - the Lounge is located on Level 1 immediately on the left hand side after passing the
Security Checks and Immigration Control. Hours 08:00 - 17:00 Monday - Friday. Closed: Saturday, Sunday & Public Holidays. Conditions Children under 12 years are admitted free - Smart casual dress at all times (no sandals, shorts or vests allowed) - Non-smoking.

Priority Pass: Lounge SALON VIP AERODOM; Location Terminal A Airside - before Passport Control in the Arrivals Area, Level 1. The Lounge is located at the end of the corridor on the left hand side. Hours 08:00 - 00:00 daily.
Conditions Children under 12 years are admitted free - Smart casual dress at all times (no sandals, shorts or vests allowed) - Complimentary alcoholic drinks are limited to three per adult - Non-smoking.

/AA Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2012 at 9:43 pm Reason: updated PTY / Tocumén info
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Huge to closing MCI.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt PLT
No need for internal sources, it's published on RestructuringAMR.com: LINK.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The MCI AC closing is not surprising given that ORD has gone mostly (or maybe even all) Eagle with only DFW also remaining. IAD a little bit more surprised at.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
IAD was remodeled fairly recently, wasn't it?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Huuuge bummer on all of these, but especially MCI as that's my home airport! I even always made sure to renew there with the staff so that they would get the "credit" for it, if there is such a thing.

Oh well, I wonder what the timeframe for these closings are.

where is the emoticon with tears who is bawling uncontrollably?

EDIT: I see the club closes on July 31st
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I was wondering how much longer MCI would last as they're down to a mere two destinations from there and as mentioned earlier, ORD is mainly Eagle. IAD is surprising though, they have transcons and they recently opened a new club when they moved from D to B. Big overall
Old Apr 18, 2012, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
The MCI AC AAngel was superb and always very friendly and helpful ^ It's sad to see it go
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I wonder if IAD will go joint AA/BA like PHL and DEN did. In PHL, AA just moved into the BA lounge. The DEN facility was new construction.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Ch. 11 issues aside, I wonder whether the IAD closure coincides with the introduction of DCA-LAX (not sure whether AA will consider switching any current IAD flights to DCA)? AA only has two other destinations from IAD, DFW and MIA while DCA also has Chicago on mainline and several others on AE.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Spiff
Huge to closing MCI.
Ditto. That airport, without the AC, is a miserable dump when you want to eat or drink. Or find a chair.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Ch. 11 issues aside, I wonder whether the IAD closure coincides with the introduction of DCA-LAX (not sure whether AA will consider switching any current IAD flights to DCA)? AA only has two other destinations from IAD, DFW and MIA while DCA also has Chicago on mainline and several others on AE.
AA has clearly prioritized DCA over BWI and IAD in the DC market. Just look at MIA and DFW frequencies as an example. And of course there isn't even an ORD flight from IAD. So yes, with DCA-LAX, maybe there will be less emphasis on the IAD-LAX transcons (even though they are 3x daily). The latter may not be particularly profitable with the competition.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:19 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
For the foreign destinations this makes the Amex Platinum card an even better deal as you get to access the priority pass lounges.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Trying to remember if Iberia has its own lounges at SDQ and PTY, or do they use AC? I think IB does at SDQ.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper110A
Trying to remember if Iberia has its own lounges at SDQ and PTY, or do they use AC? I think IB does at SDQ.
Not according to wikipedia. There is a joint UA-Copa lounge (but branded as a United Club). But AMEX Plat members have Priority Pass Select which excludes UA clubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.