Search

Domestic Upgrade with $ [money] Alone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lobo411
Actually, it's brilliant if you're aspiring to be the next Gerald Arpey. You can ruin the airline, get paid $6 million/year in salary, and blame it all on some poor sap who makes $45k a year serving Pepsi and orange juice to slack-jawed yokels.

The elite traveler can't check in for his flight if he wants to stay on the upgrade list unless he buys enough stickers to cover the upgrade. $$ in AA's pocket.

The kettle traveler isn't going to buy stickers--ever. But they will pay an equivalent price for a guaranteed upgrade. $$ in AA's pocket.

The elite traveler will never have the opportunity to use his stickers, since the kettle is being offered the seat first. So AA gets paid twice and only has to "ship" one product. Not bad, huh?

Of course, this is unsustainable in the long term. The elites will eventually wise up, and the airline will continue its vertical nosedive. But hey--what do you care? You're a Gerald Arpey, C-Suite, red-blooded American business executive. You don't care about the long run--only the Germans and the Chinese do that. Your job is to milk the company for every dollar it's worth and then move on to the next, Mitt Romney-style.
Except that his name is Gerard Arpey, I agree with everything you said here

Cheers.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by vxmike
UA sells upgrades out from under their elites all the time. Huge uproars on the UA board about it all the time.

DL does this too via FCM "first class monetization". Again, big threads on the Delta board.

I think it would be crazy to think AA hasn't considered doing the same and won't test the waters at some point. The only difference is that AA does earn revenue from it's PLT and GLD upgrades, so perhaps they can hold out longer, but I do think the era of free upgrades is reaching its end.
DL isn't selling TOD at check in like UA is. FCM is where DL is selling first class tickets (P class) for a reasonable amount above higher coach fares. Prior to the modification that DL has added to their booking page, there would be a note that "First class is only $59 dollars more" however, the coach fare was not a cheap ticket, it was giving high revenue ticket purchasers the option of buying a first class ticket.

All this fanfare caused many on the DL board to be upset as DL was selling first class tickets, leaving fewer seats for upgrades. Additionally people were upset because sometimes the P class ticket was cheaper than a Full Y.

Now when you book a ticket on DL, it automatically gives you the coach and first fare side by side clearly to dismay of some. Everyone including elites are given the opportunity to buy the first class ticket.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by j_mee
All this fanfare caused many on the DL board to be upset as DL was selling first class tickets, leaving fewer seats for upgrades. Additionally people were upset because sometimes the P class ticket was cheaper than a Full Y.
Seems to be going around. This bizarre US pricing was from Monday for a last minute SAN-PHX OW on Tuesday.

Old Apr 4, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Well, I can't agree with you on this point. I believe any additional revenue is good for the airline. I just don't see what AA wins if it turns down even 100USD from a coach pax to sit upront in faviour of an EXP - so that the latter has an incentive to buy yet another deeply discounted coach ticket but consume a much higher value product (a seat in F)?

Upselling during check-in is a creative way to maximize revenue - why give something for free if there are people willing to pay for it?
My view is that selling an F seat in any manner does not run contrary to the EXP perks which is free upgrades where available.

I know others have already mentioned this but you really are confusing the FT crowd with a typical EXP who achieves status by traveling for work.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Except that his name is Gerard Arpey, I agree with everything you said here

Cheers.
Ha! I've been calling him Gerald for years!
Old Apr 4, 2012, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Let's be clear, Gerard hated the idea of Ch. 11 and sought to avoid Ch 11 until the end (perhaps too long to save the business).
Wouldn't you, if staying out of Ch. 11 also meant preserving your $6 million gravy train?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Wouldn't you, if staying out of Ch. 11 also meant preserving your $6 million gravy train?
In all fairness he was not ousted. He chose to resign from the company.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:06 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by sukn
I know others have already mentioned this but you really are confusing the FT crowd with a typical EXP who achieves status by traveling for work.
So, that even helps my point. Presumably, these EXPs will be sitting upfront anyways because they choose to pay to be there, so AA should not worry that 'low-value' EXPs will defect to other airlines. And even if they do, other airlines seem to employ the same approach to filling pre,ium seats with paying customers.

I think in general the problem here is that people tend to think that complimentary upgrades is a guaranteed right rather than a perk. If I knew that I was entitled to something upon availability I would not demand that the airline does not sell F tickets (regardless of the method) to leave some open seats for me...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Nixon also "chose" to resign...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Nixon also "chose" to resign...
I can tell you for a fact that the board told him the company was going to file Ch 11 with or without him and he chose to resign rather than be a part of it. Say what you want about the principles he had, the man certainly stuck to them.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
So, that even helps my point. Presumably, these EXPs will be sitting upfront anyways because they choose to pay to be there, so AA should not worry that 'low-value' EXPs will defect to other airlines. And even if they do, other airlines seem to employ the same approach to filling pre,ium seats with paying customers.

I think in general the problem here is that people tend to think that complimentary upgrades is a guaranteed right rather than a perk. If I knew that I was entitled to something upon availability I would not demand that the airline does not sell F tickets (regardless of the method) to leave some open seats for me...
By what logic do you come to this conclusion? The vast majority of companies require their employees to travel in Y, with exceptions being made for senior management and sometimes for international travel.

As for the "other airlines seem to employ the same approach..." argument, this is where AA has stood out from the pack and differentiated itself and it is also the reason AAdvantage remains the largest and most popular frequent flyer program. For example, AA allows the use of eVIPs on all fares, where as the competition many times requires its elites to pay a much higher fare just for the privilege of getting on a waitlist for a possible eVIP equivalent upgrade.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
In a macro sense how many EXPs would be displaced if AA more proactively attempts to upsell F seats. DL and US gate upsell (DL only on certain fare codes though) and there does not seem to be rush to the podium. Also, EXPs usually clear before the airport battle ground begins. It would like be the poor GLDs that would find themselves sitting more in the back of the bus.

Of course, if you are that EXP that is sitting in the back because AA sold an upgrade to a non elite the overall macro factor would not mean much to you.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
DL and US gate upsell (DL only on certain fare codes though) and there does not seem to be rush to the podium.
And DL's is certainly not widespread. I can count on one hand the number of times I've even seen it offered... usually off-peak when they can't even fill the F cabins with Silvers.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by SFO777
And DL's is certainly not widespread. I can count on one hand the number of times I've even seen it offered... usually off-peak when they can't even fill the F cabins with Silvers.
And it only occurs when there are more F seats than elites. K+ fare is required for the gate upgrade.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:14 pm

So did Nixon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.