Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic Upgrade with $ [money] Alone

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dopey!
Maybe AA would rather have someone who is willing to cough up some extra $$ to sit up front rather than an elite? Yea, we all enjoy our upgrades and blah blah blah, but this could be the new norm. If it's not worth the money for you, then so be it. It is what it is.
Then go to a system where you require stickers for EXPs, or co-pays for VIPs, or don't provide elites upgrades, or specify that they come after all paid upgrade offers. If they want to change the system - so be it - one of the reasons some mid-level elites like AA is because PLATs don't get free upgrades and there are thus more upgrades for those who are willing to pay for it. But a non-transparent system where an EXP thinks they are above a cash upgrade but aren't is the problem. I don't think that's currently the case on AA. But it is on UA and its not exactly helping them retain their elites.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sts603
Then go to a system where you require stickers for EXPs, or co-pays for VIPs....But a non-transparent system where an EXP thinks they are above a cash upgrade but aren't is the problem. I don't think that's currently the case on AA. But it is on UA and its not exactly helping them retain their elites.
They are quite possibly going this route. I get the frustration with the situation. I was just pointing out that maybe elite status is becoming less important to them. Look at DL as well. Everyone boards priority or whatever its callled there, just cause they have an Amex.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603
I stand corrected. I was confusing that with earlier reports of the check-in coutner upgrades at international outstations. That said, a post on page 3 of the DEL thread does indicate that even AA said that this was a "special." An odd use of the word to say the least. And suspicious. But until we see more posts of this happening domestically and from international outstations that still exist, I remain more than merely skeptical about any changes the LBFU system.
And, despite the fact that I disagreed with you earlier about the "unrelatedness" of these two instances, I agree with you here. Even though these seem very similar, they are just two cases, and many more folks have upgraded in the interim. I also remain skeptical of any actual changes in the works.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Could the previous LGA-ORD flight have canceled after OP's LFBU, thus dumping another flight's worth of EXP, PLT, and GLD passengers onto upgrade list?
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP .72MM
Maybe AA would rather have someone who is willing to cough up some extra $$ to sit up front rather than an elite? Yea, we all enjoy our upgrades and blah blah blah, but this could be the new norm. If it's not worth the money for you, then so be it. It is what it is.
I see a day where people willing to cough up extra $$$ will take priority over status!! Airlines need $$$$ Its not fun to hear for me as an EXP but more and more flights are clearing at the gate and not at the 100 hour mark!
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by favalarry69
Its not fun to hear for me as an EXP but more and more flights are clearing at the gate and not at the 100 hour mark!
Which, while true in many cases, has nothing whatsoever to do with the topic of the thread.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by scnzzz
Perhaps, but then that tends to alienate FFs who stick with AA despite its network disadvantages relative to *A or ST. Such as me...
Bingo. UA and DL can do it because they are on top, but AA can't afford to pull stunts like this. The underdog needs an edge. I know there are plenty of EXPs who stick with AA because of its excellent elite treatment, but if AA is even thinking about taking that away, you can bet on a massive EXP switch to UA 1K for the far superior star alliance network. @:-)
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
I know there are plenty of EXPs who stick with AA because of its excellent elite treatment, but if AA is even thinking about taking that away, you can bet on a massive EXP switch to UA 1K for the far superior star alliance network.
I dunno. AA would probably do quite well to drive cheapskates like me to another network (if I actually had a choice of carrier, that is), especially if they can sell the F seats I've been occupying. But I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Science Goy
...if I actually had a choice of carrier, that is...
But you do, out of LAX, or ORD, or NYC. If you are out of (or fly to) DFW or MIA, then you are stuck But that is still the point, choice of carrier. If all elite programs are becoming the same, the it's a no brainer to go to Star Alliance if for nothing but "a choice of carrier" and route.

But I still have faith in AA We will see...
Old Apr 3, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by favalarry69
I see a day where people willing to cough up extra $$$ will take priority over status!! Airlines need $$$$ Its not fun to hear for me as an EXP but more and more flights are clearing at the gate and not at the 100 hour mark!
I'm sure the money managers at AA would rather have money in the till than giving away upgrades to elites.

Money talks.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I'm sure the money managers at AA would rather have money in the till than giving away upgrades to elites.

Money talks.
That's very short sighted. If this becomes the norm, you can bet many elites will find other airlines, thus their revenue will go with them. These $90-$105 a seat upgrades will pail in comparison to a mass exodus of elites and their business travel budgets.

I am based in DFW and fly AA pretty much exclusively, if I notice that the benefits degrade I will consider other options, especially when flying West as VA has a much better product than AA. If I can't reap the benefits as an AA elite, what's the point in flying them ??

--wes
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wesmanz
That's very short sighted. If this becomes the norm, you can bet many elites will find other airlines, thus their revenue will go with them. These $90-$105 a seat upgrades will pail in comparison to a mass exodus of elites and their business travel budgets.

I am based in DFW and fly AA pretty much exclusively, if I notice that the benefits degrade I will consider other options, especially when flying West as VA has a much better product than AA. If I can't reap the benefits as an AA elite, what's the point in flying them ??

--wes
Considering that UA and DL are already doing this, where are you going to go? And VX? Give me a break. I'm not waiting until T-6 to maybe get an upgrade. And that's before we even start talking about a crappy FF program, no elite line, lousy phone agents.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I won't go into too much detail here because I have spent all my energy on the UA forum (and CO forum before that) talking about this issue. That said, to "sell" $90 upgrades on top of rock bottom discount coach fares to non-elites while elite status customers paying HIGHER fares sit in the back is simply morally corrupt and will not be a good long-term decision.

Maybe this is the McKinsey idiots testing their brilliant ideas.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
...misunderstandings and neglect create more confusion in this world than trickery and malice. At any rate, the last two are certainly much less frequent.

- Goethe
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sukn
A barren upgrade list on the LGA-ORD route is highly unlikely, especially on a weekday, more so on a Thursday evening flight.
I agree that it's unlikely that the upgrade list had been emptied prior to the neighbor's online LFBU opportunity. Still, we don't know.

Originally Posted by sukn
Also, the OP is an EXP so I trust his observations.
I trust the OP's observations as well. I did not and have not questioned the OP's accuracy or veracity. Neverheless, the OP was not privy to the upgrade list in the (up to 24) hours between the time the neighbor checked in online and time when the OP observed the upgrade list at the gate. My point: there's a lot of information that we don't know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.