Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dallasmombat
Citibank told me that my reservation not only had to be linked to my aadvantage number, but had to be paid for using my citibank aadvantage card, and that since I used another credit card, i would not be eligible for the free bag check, nor any of the other travel benefits. Has anyone already traveled with this offer, and gotten the free checked bag, with a flight paid for by a non-citibank aadvantage credit card? thanks!
Why would citi be subsidizing your use of a competing card, by paying for benefits without getting something back themselves?

The competing cards that offer this benefit on other Airlines also require that you book using their card to get the benefits.

What you suggest would be the equiv of calling amex and asking for amex purchase protection on a gift you bought using a non-amex card.
Old May 3, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
We flew our first international trip since obtaining this credit card, and upon arriving in Tokyo and trying to use the card for JR train tickets, our card was denied. It was continued to be denied at JR and at locations where we tried to charge more than $100 at a pop during our two weeks in Japan. We called upon return to the U.S. and were told that Citibank was trying to protect us from those inappropriately using our card. What a difference between the fine services offered by American Express and AA's Citibank card.
I agree that AmEx tends to have much better customer service and smarter anti-fraud. With non-AmEx cards it's always a good idea to call in advance and let them know of your travel plans. However, my own experience with Citi cards is that they do tend to learn one's patterns, so after a few overseas trips using the card, there is no longer any need to call them in advance.

Originally Posted by rrgg
This isn't a problem if you just tell them you'll be traveling.

Chase and Capital One and probably others have the same policy. In fact I've heard of Chase denying all charges. FYI, you could have called Citi from Japan since they will accept a collect call. This should be printed on the back of your card.
Skype lets one call (800) numbers for free from anywhere in the world, without Skype credit. This is often the easiest way to contact credit card and airline companies when overseas.

Originally Posted by kebosabi
It could also be due to the fact that more and more places in Japan, as with the rest of the world EXCEPT the US, are phasing out the mag-stripe and moving to EMV chip cards.
My experience all over the world, including Japan last week, Israel the week before that, Europe a few weeks before that, is that almost any place that takes credits cards accepts the mag-strip only (no chip) cards. The exceptions I've found are fully-automated systems that lack any facility for a signature, such as train ticket kiosks in some European countries, but even then there is usually a staffed alternative that accepts the non-chip cards.

Originally Posted by ckendall
Had similar problems with charges refused outside the US from both Amex SPG and Citi Gold AA visa despite my attempts to advise Citi before I left (less so last trip with Citi MC World Elite). I travel outside the US fairly regularly and it seems the new fraud systems mean I have to spend a lot more time convincing the credit card people that it's really me.
Sorry to hear you had such bad experiences. I've had my share of problems with Citi and their CS, but improper fraud declines aren't one of them (they seem to know I travel a lot and use the card).
Old May 3, 2012, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Why would citi be subsidizing your use of a competing card, by paying for benefits without getting something back themselves?

The competing cards that offer this benefit on other Airlines also require that you book using their card to get the benefits.

What you suggest would be the equiv of calling amex and asking for amex purchase protection on a gift you bought using a non-amex card.
I didn't make any suggestions. I inquired about the policy, as I was told on another forum that it was an incentive for Citibank Aadvantage customers, to keep us paying the $85 or $95 annual fee. You seem offended, or to have taken my question personally. So, anyway, if anyone has traveled yet, without having charged their flight to Citibank, please let us know if the other forum I was reading is providing inaccurate information, and in fact we CAN get these features as a return on our annual fee investment.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA GLD
I just called to cancel my personal Visa signature and they mentioned I would be losing my $100 coupon which arrives "at renewal." I asked for more details about that, but the rep said I would have to call AAdvantage. I assume she is talking about the $100 for 30K spending, not a coupon or statement credit that automatically posts after the annual fee is paid? Anyone have any insight? That is a terrible deal and I'll just downgrade to Bronze if that is the case.
Old May 3, 2012, 4:29 pm

Priority Boarding - What's on your Boarding Pass?

Can someone who has used the priority boarding benefit describe what was printed on your boarding pass?

I just checked in for a flight that was ticketed on May 1 and aa.com put me in Zone 2 on all flights. I called AA and they said "Premium Credit Card" is on the reservation and that priority boarding might only print on the passes if I print them at the airport (?).

Last edited by TheInternationalLine; May 3, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Old May 3, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by anabolism
The exceptions I've found are fully-automated systems that lack any facility for a signature, such as train ticket kiosks in some European countries, but even then there is usually a staffed alternative that accepts the non-chip cards.
Except if the person who you're talking to can't speak the same language as you and is reluctant to swipe it.

Except if the staffed alternative ain't open (after hours, weekends, local holidays, labor cuts, etc.).

Alternatives such as whipping out an any of the EMV cards available in the US today is a faster solution.
Old May 3, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
However, my own experience with Citi cards is that they do tend to learn one's patterns, so after a few overseas trips using the card, there is no longer any need to call them in advance.
I spend a quarter of my time in England and always renew my travel authorization at the Citi website before I leave the USA. Nevertheless, last week they refused my card in England when I tried to buy a train ticket on a UK website -- after I had already used the card several times successfully there. I was irate. If it happens again, I'm dropping the card regardless of AAdvantage benefits.
Old May 3, 2012, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Except if the person who you're talking to can't speak the same language as you and is reluctant to swipe it.

Except if the staffed alternative ain't open (after hours, weekends, local holidays, labor cuts, etc.).

Alternatives such as whipping out an any of the EMV cards available in the US today is a faster solution.
I have no objection to obtaining and using a chip-and-pin card; I never said anything against it (in fact I look forward to having one of my own from Chase). All I did was point out that, based on my own experience, lack of such a card is unlikely to be the source of the problem reported here. I stand by that. In my experience, swipe cards work throughout the world, including many places where I don't speak the language and the clerk doesn't speak English. Naturally, YMMV.

Originally Posted by chuck till
I spend a quarter of my time in England and always renew my travel authorization at the Citi website before I leave the USA. Nevertheless, last week they refused my card in England when I tried to buy a train ticket on a UK website -- after I had already used the card several times successfully there. I was irate. If it happens again, I'm dropping the card regardless of AAdvantage benefits.
Sorry to hear you had such problems. One suggestion to consider is the Starwood AmEx, since they seem to be better about such things, and you in effect get 1.25 AA miles per dollar (by transferring in batches of 20k).
Old May 3, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I have no objection to obtaining and using a chip-and-pin card; I never said anything against it (in fact I look forward to having one of my own from Chase). All I did was point out that, based on my own experience, lack of such a card is unlikely to be the source of the problem reported here. I stand by that. In my experience, swipe cards work throughout the world, including many places where I don't speak the language and the clerk doesn't speak English. Naturally, YMMV.
A chip-and-pin card is definitely handy in Europe. Just went to Paris and London in March. In London, our "home" Tube station was Earl's Court and there was an automatic ticket machine that only accepted chip-and-pin cards or we could join the long line of people waiting for the ticket booth. In Paris, we had even less options. Our "home" station was Luxembourg RER station. No ticket booths. Just automatic machines that took chip-and-pin cards.

Luckily, we brought our British Airways card but we cancelled the card after returning to avoid paying the annual fee. I hope that the chip-and-pin is more widely available for this card soon! I need another one!
Old May 3, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
In London, our "home" Tube station was Earl's Court and there was an automatic ticket machine that only accepted chip-and-pin cards or we could join the long line of people waiting for the ticket booth.
I recommend an Oyster card, since it's significantly faster than buying tickets and less expensive as well.
Old May 3, 2012, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I recommend an Oyster card, since it's significantly faster than buying tickets and less expensive as well.
Yup. I got an Oyster card...at an automated ticket machine using my chip-and-pin credit card. ^ By the way, I did try a regular credit card as well. Didn't work.
Old May 4, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
A chip-and-pin card is definitely handy in Europe. Just went to Paris and London in March. In London, our "home" Tube station was Earl's Court and there was an automatic ticket machine that only accepted chip-and-pin cards or we could join the long line of people waiting for the ticket booth. In Paris, we had even less options. Our "home" station was Luxembourg RER station. No ticket booths. Just automatic machines that took chip-and-pin cards.

Luckily, we brought our British Airways card but we cancelled the card after returning to avoid paying the annual fee. I hope that the chip-and-pin is more widely available for this card soon! I need another one!

Your story as written doesn't seem to make sense. The British Airways card is not a chip-and-PIN card, it's only a chip-and-signature card. If all those places really only took chip-and-PIN cards, you'd have been out of luck! Presumably, if you were able to use your Chase BA Visa card there, they took both chip-and-PIN and chip-and-signature cards, and thus only require chip cards, not specfiically chip-and-PIN.

There are kiosks that only require some sort of chip card, and then there are other kiosks that rrequire a chip-and-PIN card, at which a chip-and-signature card won't work. Furhtermore, chio-and-PIN cards come in two varieties, online verficiation and offline veification. If yours only supports online verification, and the kiosk is offline, too bad, no go. (If your card supports offline verification, you cannot change the PIN by calling the card company; you can only do it in person at a compatibile machine, because chanigng the PIN on an offline verified card requires reprogramming the chip.)
Old May 4, 2012, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no objection to obtaining and using a chip-and-pin card; I never said anything against it (in fact I look forward to having one of my own from Chase).
As far as I know, no Chase cards are yet avialable in chip-and-PIN.

Chase so far only supports chip-and-signature.

If you really want a chip-and-PIN card (and you don't already have a Diners Club card), your choices are somewhat limited. Andrews FCU MC is the most practical for most people. See the "EMV cards available now" thread in the Credit Cards forum for more on that.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott, Hyatt
Received and activated my new Citi AA Visa card. The rep said that you have to call and request your Admirals Club passes and that they would not automatically be sent to me. Does this sound correct?
Old May 4, 2012, 9:27 am
/M3

Originally Posted by Travel22
Received and activated my new Citi AA Visa card. The rep said that you have to call and request your Admirals Club passes and that they would not automatically be sent to me. Does this sound correct?
I received my admirals passes last week. I did not have to call for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.