Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

New Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card Benefits

Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Benefits valid for all travel, or just if card used?

Originally Posted by dallasmombat
I emailed Citibank, and they told me in three separate replies that you MUST pay for your flight with the Citibank Aadvantage credit card, and that if you do not, you will not get any of the travel benefits, including the first checked bag free. I am still hoping and wishing that the rep and his supervisor are incorrect. Do you have a name of a Citibank person who says otherwise? i'd like to reference that in my next email to them. Thanks for your infom
I also emailed them via their website and got back only useless replies (boilerplate, benefits brochures that don't include the new benefits at all, promises to send benefits brochures via snail mail).

I called citi Customer Service at 888-766-2484 (sorry, I didn't get her name, but she was in the U.S.) and spoke to someone who initially gave the very same answer, so I asked he "Suppose I booked a flight with frequent flier points 3 months out, so there is no fee to pay, and when I get to the airport I want to check a bag." She asked me to hold on and came back and said as long as your frequent flier number is on the reservation, you'll get the benefits. She thanked me for asking the question so that she would have to find out the answer.

Also, the author of this web page: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/04/new-...ill-out-there/ says the same thing in reply to a comment on the article.

Perhaps someone official from American Airlines could comment on this? They were monitoring this thread earlier.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Some kiosk-purchased tickets and the like require chip and PIN cards for these transactions; as this card is chip and signature, it will not work for some transactions such as some railroads (e.g. SNCF for regional trains) online purchases that will be obtained at automated kiosks.

Not sure if this applies in your case or not, but it's something to be aware of.

Originally Posted by ccengct
I spend a quarter of my time in England and always renew my travel authorization at the Citi website before I leave the USA. Nevertheless, last week they refused my card in England when I tried to buy a train ticket on a UK website -- after I had already used the card several times successfully there. I was irate. If it happens again, I'm dropping the card regardless of AAdvantage benefits.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Here's a hypothetical game:

Citibank ties John Doe's 4147-11XX-XXXX-XXXX VISA credit card number (all Citi AAdvantage VISA have BIN number that starts with 4147-11) with his AAdvantage number, say it's ABCD123.

Every month (at least if John uses his AAdvantage VISA card), Citibank reports the miles earned from that credit card and deposits the miles to John Doe's ABCD123 AAdvantage account.

Likewise then, wouldn't the opposite be true? If miles gets deposited to American from Citibank, shouldn't American then know that John's is also a Citibank VISA cardholder?

IF John Doe Citibank cardholder 4147-11XX-XXXX-XXXX miles -> John Doe AAdvantage member ABCD123

THEN

John Doe AAdvantage ABCD123 = John Doe Citibank 4147-11XX-XXXX-XXXX

As such, there has to be a system somewhere in AAdvantage that says John Doe AAdvantage member ABCD123 is John Doe Citi VISA cardholder, therefore, give the John Doe all the Citibank VISA benefits when traveling on AA whether or not he used the VISA card to pay for this particular trip.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Here's a hypothetical game:

Citibank ties John Doe's 4147-11XX-XXXX-XXXX VISA credit card number (all Citi AAdvantage VISA have BIN number that starts with 4147-11) with his AAdvantage number, say it's ABCD123.

Every month (at least if John uses his AAdvantage VISA card), Citibank reports the miles earned from that credit card and deposits the miles to John Doe's ABCD123 AAdvantage account.

Likewise then, wouldn't the opposite be true? If miles gets deposited to American from Citibank, shouldn't American then know that John's is also a Citibank VISA cardholder?

IF John Doe Citibank cardholder 4147-11XX-XXXX-XXXX miles -> John Doe AAdvantage member ABCD123

THEN

John Doe AAdvantage ABCD123 = John Doe Citibank 4147-11XX-XXXX-XXXX

As such, there has to be a system somewhere in AAdvantage that says John Doe AAdvantage member ABCD123 is John Doe Citi VISA cardholder, therefore, give the John Doe all the Citibank VISA benefits when traveling on AA whether or not he used the VISA card to pay for this particular trip.
Supremely logical - and I don't give AA's IT dept credit for one second in being able to do this, lol.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Ritz
Supremely logical - and I don't give AA's IT dept credit for one second in being able to do this, lol.
Pretty sure they haven't. As I mentioned in this post, DH's ticket said "Group 2" even though he has both the Citi Plat AMEX and Visa.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Free Bag on BA Avios Award?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have the AAdvantage Visa Signature Card. If I book a domestic AA award in economy with Avios points from ba.com, will I get 1 free checked bag for each passenger in my itinerary? Since I haven't made the booking yet, can anyone confirm they've been able to add their AAdvantage # to an AA booking with Avios and get the free bag?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: AA exp(6mm), United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

I have the AAdvantage Visa Signature Card. If I book a domestic AA award in economy with Avios points from ba.com, will I get 1 free checked bag for each passenger in my itinerary? Since I haven't made the booking yet, can anyone confirm they've been able to add their AAdvantage # to an AA booking with Avios and get the free bag?
Worked for me last weekend. As an elite I also got an exit row seat. I am not elite with ba so unless I had my aa number in I wouldn't have gotten the benefits.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Originally Posted by JimLtravels
Worked for me last weekend. As an elite I also got an exit row seat. I am not elite with ba so unless I had my aa number in I wouldn't have gotten the benefits.
I believe the question had more to do with the fact that the poster has the AA credit card - your OneWorld Emerald status got you the other perks.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jumpdogjump
I believe the question had more to do with the fact that the poster has the AA credit card - your OneWorld Emerald status got you the other perks.
Exactly, I have no status on AA. However, if the AA credit card can get me and all other passengers on my reservation a free bag each, that will save a ton of $$$. It's a good sign though that Jim's AA status is recognized from BA award bookings. Based on the wording of the new credit card benefits' T&C, it seems like the free bag is coded into any reservation using your AAdvantage number. Hopefully this will work...
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Exactly, I have no status on AA. However, if the AA credit card can get me and all other passengers on my reservation a free bag each, that will save a ton of $$$. It's a good sign though that Jim's AA status is recognized from BA award bookings. Based on the wording of the new credit card benefits' T&C, it seems like the free bag is coded into any reservation using your AAdvantage number. Hopefully this will work...
I'm in the same boat. Would love some feedback on this. I booked a flight with BA points prior to this announcement and would love to get the free-bag and priority line privileges for that trip.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by index411
I'm in the same boat. Would love some feedback on this. I booked a flight with BA points prior to this announcement and would love to get the free-bag and priority line privileges for that trip.
I posted this before, my MIL used avios for domestic, paid taxes with this card, she got free bag, priority, etc....automatic. No status on BA or AA, just regular member on both programs. You do have to switch your AA number instead of BA.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:04 am

Programs: SPG 100 Plat, AA Plat, SWA, Avis Pref., Hertz GLD
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I posted this before, my MIL used avios for domestic, paid taxes with this card, she got free bag, priority, etc....automatic. No status on BA or AA, just regular member on both programs. You do have to switch your AA number instead of BA.
Did she book after this offer was announced? I booked back in March, but my flight isn't until September.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
How is the FF# switching done? I do not think you can do it on BA site, so I guess I just need to call BA and ask them to change it.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Izushisobaman
How is the FF# switching done? I do not think you can do it on BA site, so I guess I just need to call BA and ask them to change it.
Yes, just call BA and ask them to switch it. I did this for a fligt in April.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
Yes, just call BA and ask them to switch it. I did this for a fligt in April.
thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.