FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Any Chance Revenue Management Would Swap Award Seats? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1330616-any-chance-revenue-management-would-swap-award-seats.html)

jrussell Mar 30, 2012 8:18 am

Any Chance Revenue Management Would Swap Award Seats?

I am currently booked on an AA award ORY-LHR-DFW in F and want to change to ORY-MAD-DFW the next day. As of now no F award seats are available on the MAD-DFW segment.

As it turns out LHR-DFW is completely sold out in F (I suppose there could even be a waiting list) while MAD-DFW has plenty of available F revenue seats.

It seems to me AA would like to have a seat back on an oversold F flight (with a good chance of revenue resale) in exchange for an award seat on a flight which has plenty of seats available and may be unlikely to sell out. Do you suppose AA would consider such a request specifically framed as a swap rather than as a simple request to release an award seat?

To make the request I guess I need to find a res agent who understands the the situation and is willing to send you a request to Revenue Management. I am AA Gold so have no status leverage.

Should I give it a try or am I really just wasting my time?

BStrauss3 Mar 30, 2012 8:26 am

You can always ask...

But why don't you just cancel the one you don't want and book the one you do want?

travelmi Mar 30, 2012 8:32 am

OP is gold. If he cancel the original booking, there will be redeposit fee. I would ask AA, it does not hurt. Not sure if they can just make a change to the ticket.

Often1 Mar 30, 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by jrussell (Post 18302210)
I am currently booked on an AA award ORY-LHR-DFW in F and want to change to ORY-MAD-DFW the next day. As of now no F award seats are available on the MAD-DFW segment.

As it turns out LHR-DFW is completely sold out in F (I suppose there could even be a waiting list) while MAD-DFW has plenty of available F revenue seats.

It seems to me AA would like to have a seat back on an oversold F flight (with a good chance of revenue resale) in exchange for an award seat on a flight which has plenty of seats available and may be unlikely to sell out. Do you suppose AA would consider such a request specifically framed as a swap rather than as a simple request to release an award seat?

To make the request I guess I need to find a res agent who understands the the situation and is willing to send you a request to Revenue Management. I am AA Gold so have no status leverage.

Should I give it a try or am I really just wasting my time?

It's highly unlikely, certainly unlikely without fee, but it's a toll-free call to ask, so ask.

I would strongly recomend against providing your rationale. People don't like being told how to run their business and it's either going to happen or not.

sbrower Mar 30, 2012 8:36 am

Unlikely there is a wait list in F. But the answer is very easy. Call AA and calmly make your request. I personally anticipate that you will be told "No, thank you" but I think it is a good idea to ask.

jagoffee Mar 30, 2012 8:49 am

Assuming that it is all AA metal you could also check within 24 hours of the flight. Obviously if the scheduled as changed it will increase your odds. Just last week I was able to move an award flight when the schedule change was only 30 minutes within 24 hours of the flight.

dshargorodsky Mar 30, 2012 9:14 am

I don't think the basic rep will have the authority to open up award availability.