AA Open Jaw -- Issue at Airport? (EZE/GIG)

Old Mar 29, 12, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
AA Open Jaw -- Issue at Airport? (EZE/GIG)

Hey all,

I'm flying JFK-EZE followed by yet undetermined transit to GIG, before flying GIG-JFK.

I know that AA would be cranky (read: would not let me board) if I only had a one-way into Argentina. Is it OK for me to have my return from GIG -- or will I need to provide some evidence to AA that I'm leaving Argentina (eg: via Buquebus to Uruguay).

Thanks! Hoping to avoid unnecessary hassle at the airport.

-W
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Wingman32 View Post
Hey all,

I'm flying JFK-EZE followed by yet undetermined transit to GIG, before flying GIG-JFK.

I know that AA would be cranky (read: would not let me board) if I only had a one-way into Argentina. Is it OK for me to have my return from GIG -- or will I need to provide some evidence to AA that I'm leaving Argentina (eg: via Buquebus to Uruguay).

-W
Why would AA be cranky about an one-way to Argentina?

There is no need for anyone to have a return trip from the same airport; it's perfectly the norm to fly into one place and fly back or to another destination from another airport.

Think of it this way: do any airline give a hoot if you fly into JFK and fly out of BOS and getting from New York to Boston on Amtrak or Megabus? Of course not.
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Flying AC from LAX-YUL and AA YUL-LAX. I'm sure both just appreciate I thought of them.
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Hey all,

-W

There is no need for anyone to have a return trip from the same airport; it's perfectly the norm to fly into one place and fly back or to another destination from another airport.

Think of it this way: do any airline give a hoot if you fly into JFK and fly out of BOS and getting from New York to Boston on Amtrak or Megabus? Of course not.
The problem is that some countries require non-citizens to provide proof of onward travel in order to be admitted into that country. If the country refuses to admit the arriving passenger because of lack of proof of onward travel, then AA would have to transport the passenger back to the U.S., and might be subject to hefty fines, as well. That's why AA would care, and I presume that that's why the OP is asking.
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum

AA might certainly give a hoot because these are immigration issues. Many (most?) countries have an onward-ticket requirement. Flying to JFK and from BOS isn't an apt comparison. AA may expect to see some evidence of how you plan to leave Argentina.

Edited to add: I see guv1976 beat me by one minute.
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
If Argentina requires an ongoing ticket, I don't know if a return ticket from Brazil to the US qualifies. I suspect that interpretation will depend on the agent at the airport when you check in. Is buying some kind of ticket (air, bus, rail) ticket out of Argentina possible, so you have something to show AA?
Old Mar 29, 12, 9:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think AA's concern is you meet the requirements for admission to Argentina (with a U.S. passport, six months' duration past stay, "proof of sufficient funds to cover your stay and documents required for your next destination" and the $140 reciprocity fee if you have not paid previously (fee covers ten years of return rights). "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused..." but credit cards, money, your onward ticket from Brasil should get you through with not much of a problem. (Timaticweb via Delta Airlines).

The risk AA stands is having Argentina refuse entry, charging AA for repatriation expenses and a big fat fine. If you have U. S. citizenship, AA's concern will be that you have the proper entry document - an American passport valid for a minimum of six months beyond your admission, iirc. "Docs checked" and off you go. You should have no hassle at all - and if they ask tell them you will go to Uruguay by ferry and on to Brasil by land for your return - you do not need advance visas or arrangements for those anyway.

An open jaw should be no concern. It will be up to you to meet entry conditions for Uruguay (they'll stamp you for Uruguay admission prior to boarding Buquebus) and Brasil (reciprocity fee and visa if you have not paid it already).

Ask AA for what the TAs will look for if you like, and check Timaticweb at this Delta page.

For extra risk management, you can advance purchase your ticket on Buquebus.

I have a specific problem because of my name when I visit Argentina, and yet have never been asked for proof of onward travel and financial responsibility (though I was detained briefly departing the country until a supervisor came and smoothed things out). I might have been if I showed up looking unkempt and in very used threads and a backpack - yes, profiling, but...

Hey all,

-W
Old Mar 30, 12, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premiere Platinum
Thanks for the advice!

I'm dual a US/Polish citizen....so, I'll be traveling on my Polish passport to dodge the visas / reciprocity fees. Same requirements for Polish nationals though.

Thanks JDiver -- the Buquebus online booking sounds like a good idea!
Old Mar 30, 12, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Platinum, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
I've been traveling to Argentina for 25 years and have never once been asked by immigration for an onward ticket. If you have a US/Canadian/European passport the likelihood of that happening is close to zip.

In Brazil, however, the situation is different. Brazil doesn't require visas for Europeans but has recently tightened rules for Spanish citizens (other countries will come too) because of increased illegal immigration. Brazil asks to see credit card statements showing credit limit availability as well as an onward ticket for entry. They are not doing this to everyone but the fact that they do it at all is higher risk.

If you want to 100% cover yourself make a dummy reservation and print it out from say, Buenos Aires to Montevideo and bring it with you.
Old Mar 30, 12, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

bostontraveler makes a great point - I haven't been to Brasil for a while, but if they are tightening up, a credit card statement plus the itinerary on your AA return should have you covered there.

Fully refundable airline tickets are not bad, though they do tie up some liquidity or credit availability.

Dummy itineraries may be a bit trickier if they actually ever check them with the putative issuing airline.

For Argentina, the Buquebus ticket to Uruguay (to Colonia del Sacramento or Montevideo) should suffice, given you are planning to use it anyway. Your keyboard and printer are much closer than Dársena Norte.
Old Mar 30, 12, 1:12 pm

Ditto with the above. Immigration authorities in South American countries that do not require a visa for entry have never, in my experience, asked for proof of onward travel. AA agents, however, routinely do so at check in. While they have previously accepted my word when I had an electronic ticket in their system for return travel, they have been much happier when I presented an actual printout of said ticket. So I assume they will be much happier with a printout of your Buquebus ticket out of Argentina (plus your return flight from Rio) than just your return ticket from Rio. Besides, Buquebus uses a variable pricing system similar to the airlines, so buying a ticket in advance is recommended in order to obtain the lowest price anyway.
Old Mar 30, 12, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From TIMATIC on Argentina:
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay and documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused
entry.
If I worked at AA I would take the last warning to heart and not embark you unless you had return/onward tickets; however, you do (from GIG), showing both the means and the intent to return to the US. It's equivalent to an Argentinian flying to Miami holding a return ticket from Toronto (exact distance to within a few miles), and it also depend on how you present yourself (jeans, T-shirt and flip flops vs. smartly dressed).
Old Mar 30, 12, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I'm dual a US/Polish citizen....so, I'll be traveling on my Polish passport to dodge the visas / reciprocity fees."

Just remember that you must use your U.S. passport for the GIG-JFK flight.
Old Mar 30, 12, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt GP Diamond, United 1k, Alaska MVP Gold
i have flown into Santiago, Chile and flown out of EZE back to the USA. So i don't see you having any issues.
Old Mar 30, 12, 6:52 pm

You can also print out the Timaticweb info.

The reason (or at east one reason) why the TAs are somewhat paranoid is they can catch holy 7734 if a person is returned at the airline's cost after being denied entry, and the airline is fined.

All that being said, I have flown open jaws a number of times without problem. OTOH, they are bugs about China and other POEs that require visas in advance - even arguing with passengers about TWOV in PVG, for instance.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: