ORD/PEK in F - Who has done it?

Old Mar 27, 12, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat (3.2 mm), HH Diamond, HGV Elite
ORD/PEK in F - Who has done it?

I'm flying ORD to PEK in F on AA next month. While I have been in F TATL many times, I have never been in F TPAC. Given that it is a 13 hour flight, what is the food service? Is there an option for an oriental meal, as there is for the Japan flights? Anything else different?
Old Mar 28, 12, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dwoolly View Post
I'm flying ORD to PEK in F on AA next month. While I have been in F TATL many times, I have never been in F TPAC. Given that it is a 13 hour flight, what is the food service? Is there an option for an oriental meal, as there is for the Japan flights? Anything else different?
There are many a menu for this and other ORD/JFK/DFW long-haul flights to Asia in the menu thread. No there is not a specific Oriental special meal but the Chinese flights have Chinese/semi-Chinese entree choices.

It will be the big meal, mid-flight snack, smaller arrival meal.
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
I wouldn't set your expectations too high, especially for the catering ex-China. It has to be the one of the few markets AA serves where the catering is worse than stateside.
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:26 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
I wouldn't set your expectations too high, especially for the catering ex-China. It has to be the one of the few markets AA serves where the catering is worse than stateside.
^ Agreed. This isn't limited to AA, though. Back when I flew UA, the C catering ex-China was among the worst in the UA system.
Old Mar 28, 12, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
...oriental meal...
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by dw View Post
^ Agreed. This isn't limited to AA, though. Back when I flew UA, the C catering ex-China was among the worst in the UA system.
^ same here. I'm not a big fan of mainline US carriers' ex-Asia catering.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Originally Posted by econometrics View Post
^ same here. I'm not a big fan of mainline US carriers' ex-Asia catering.
I've been happy with AA ex-Japan but not ex-China (specifically PVG-LAX), in fact I'd say ex-Japan is among the best.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP / CK
Definitely absolutely avoid the beef ex-China. It's not good and the FAs will or should advise you of the same.

Otherwise flight was very pleasant and while I don't recall any Asian specific meals being served it was all similar to say LAX-LHR in the sense of the longer haul long haul service.
Old Mar 28, 12, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I haven't flown that route but I have flown YVR-PEK on AC, CA, JL.
AC in Y gets you noodles and bland airplane food.
In J you get slightly better.
CA J is the worst of the 3 (not the best FA service), and JL has a good soft product but not a very good hard product.
Old Mar 28, 12, 11:13 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
I could not disagree more. At least out of PVG, the sweet and sour pork is one of the best entrees network-wide. This shows what different tastes an airline must take into account...
Old Mar 28, 12, 11:28 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I fly AA longhaul to Asia, Deep South America and Europe regularly. Although there are at times slight nuances in service or food offered, in my opinion it really is all the same.
Old Mar 28, 12, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
I did a trip report on PEK-ORD in AA F awhile back. Probably not much has changed since then.
Old Mar 29, 12, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by Cofyknsult View Post
I could not disagree more. At least out of PVG, the sweet and sour pork is one of the best entrees network-wide. This shows what different tastes an airline must take into account...
Not to my taste or preferences...but glad you enjoyed it.

The PVG catering in ex-December appeared to be hastily prepared (presentation wise) was incredibly bland and unappetizing choices. I wasn't able to grab the menu but they didn't have a vegetarian or beef option, three of the four mains contained pork, bacon or shellfish. But again this is airplane food after all.
Old Mar 29, 12, 6:30 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
... an oriental meal...
"Oriental" went out with "mulatto" and "colored". You'll find that people from "the East" prefer "Asian".
Old Mar 29, 12, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/1MM
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn View Post
"Oriental" went out with "mulatto" and "colored". You'll find that people from "the East" prefer "Asian".
Yeah, tell that to the AA FA (ex-PVG last month) who said he was serving salad with oriental dressing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: