Wiki Posts
Search

Flight goes to airport control the day before the flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
Flight goes to airport control the day before the flight

The wife is flying FLL-DFW tomorrow, 3/28, and was upgraded this morning. A check of the seat maps shows nothing available so I called AA. The agent was perplexed as to why this was given there were still 4 F seats for sale. She put me on hold and called the "seat management department." After about ten minutes on hold she came back and told me the flight is under airport control and my wife would have to get a seat assignment when she checked in tomorrow morning. Any idea why the flight would have gone to airport control more than 24 hours before the scheduled departure?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Happens fairly often, but I've never gotten a handle on the rhyme of reason of it. Is the coach load high (Y0, perhaps)? That would be a reason.

Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
I've had this happen. Also the kiosk can't fix it during check-in and only offered me the priority verification card. Finally got it resolved by an AC AAngel.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Did you already check-in? Once you check-in you cannot switch seats until at airport.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
It looks like 1348 DFW-EWR (14:20) tomorrow is under airport control. I'm not able to change seats even though Y is wide open.

BM
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Did you already check-in? Once you check-in you cannot switch seats until at airport.
While that's true that doesn't explain the blocked out seat map. It'll still let you begin the selection process, it just won't allow it to be completed.

Just a (purely speculative) guess: FLL seems like a family/elderly-heavy origin/destination meaning more pax with special seating needs (whether it be keeping families with young children together or people with mobility issues). In that case, it's probably easiest to send the flight to airport control early, thus lessening the need to move folks around and incur the wrath of those who have lost advanced seating assignments.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
Originally Posted by brp
Happens fairly often, but I've never gotten a handle on the rhyme of reason of it. Is the coach load high (Y0, perhaps)? That would be a reason.

Cheers.
It's flight 1217 and it's wide open in Y. It makes no sense to me but I am sure someboby has a reason. As was also noted, this is FLL, perhaps there was a large wheelchair delivery to T3 and AA is taking precautions.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:27 pm

I've actually had this happen a couple of times leaving FLL. I've never heard a rhyme or reason for it, and I've only experienced it there

--wes
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA PLAT FPC PLAT
There is a department somewhere that you can call and they have airport controls.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by MLM JET
There is a department somewhere that you can call and they have airport controls.
I would love to get the # of this mysterious department!

--wes
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MLM JET

Or just drive out to the airport the day before the flight and have a TA fix the problem. I've done it a few times for some critical flights where I have checked in online and then been locked out of seat changes.

Of course, those of us who have direct lines to our favorite AAngels can do that as well, but the opportunities are fewer than they used to be. CK reps might be able to override airport control as well, but I'm not CK so I can't speak from experience.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I have noticed this recently as well. I have seen it most when one cabin is close to full or oversold.

No wonder AA is in Bankruptcy!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Just had a window on 773 get changed from first row to last row middle section in business mysteriously. Agents keep saying departure airport has to handle. So frustrating snd one row in front of Y is louder and the last to be served. From first to worst in business seats.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Just had a window on 773 get changed from first row to last row middle section in business mysteriously. Agents keep saying departure airport has to handle. So frustrating snd one row in front of Y is louder and the last to be served. From first to worst in business seats.
Most likely a FAM
Old Mar 6, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Walk up to the guy in your seat, ask him about his work as a federal air marshal.

Ive always planned to do that if I get bumped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.