Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Thanks. I know how to search for partner availability on JL for CX. But is JL oneworld award availability the same as its regular award availability?

Same question for AA oneworld award availability...I see saver awards on AA's own website available for regular AAdvantage award travel, but when I search for AA on BA or JL websites, the AA awards do not show up. Does that mean it cannot be used for oneworld awards?
The JL Oneworld award availability, if you see any, should be redeemable by all partner airlines.

If you see AA saver awards on AA's web site, it should be redeemable either as a regular award, or as part of the distance-based explorer award. Other partner airline web sites (e.g. BA / JL), in certain cases, don't properly display otherwise available AA awards. However, since you are booking on AA, you can just tell the agents the exact flights you want and they should be able to book it for you.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Unless there is an IT glitch that results in "phantom" award-seat availability being displayed on aa.com, any MileSAAver seat shown on aa.com should be bookable on an Explorer award. There is no separate award inventory for Explorer awards.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Thanks ckpeter and guv1976.

The first agent I called seemed a bit confused. Used the JL website and still can see award availability (same as BA), so not sure why the agent couldn't see it. Will try again.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 9:39 am

Starting Planning - Around the World Honeymoon

Hello everyone! I've watched this board for years, more often when I was EXP, and less so now that I fly American more infrequently. You all have taught me much, and it is much appreciated!

Over the years I have been saving my miles for an around the world honeymoon trip. I finally found someone crazy enough to marry me, so it's time to start planning! I have 495,000 miles saved up. I'm not a math major, but I think that gives me enough for two business Explorer Awards at the highest mileage level. I have read the first post of this thread (as well as many many others), and I realize I have lots of work to do. First, I want to throw my two projected itineraries out there for everyone to glance at and tell me if I am missing something. My initial searches on airline websites have revealed usually only one award seat in business. My plan would be to book one person in Business and one in Economy with the clear hope of getting them in Business if inventory becomes available. My dates are flexible, and I know we are too far out to book anything based on our end dates:

Starting 9/13/13 and ending 10/6/13 in STL
Segment Route 1 Airline Miles
1 STL-ORD AA 258
2 ORD-HKG CX 7789
3 HKG-SYD CX 4599
4 SYD-JNB QF 6857
5 JNB-HKG CX 6640
6 HKG-FCO CX 5693
7 FCO-MAD IB 826
8 MAD-EZE IB 6273
9 EZE-DFW AA 5308
10 DFW-STL AA 550

or

Segment Route 2 Airline Miles
1 STL-DFW AA 550
2 DFW-EZE AA 5308
3 EZE-SCL LAN 714
4 SCL-SYD LAN 7053
5 SYD-JNB QF 6857
6 JNB-HKG CX 6640
7 HKG-FCO CX 5693
8 FCO-ORD AA 4815
9 ORD-STL AA 258

At initial glances, does anyone see anything that I am missing, or am I on the right track? My plan will be to use airline websites and award nexus as much as possible. Thanks in advance for all of the help!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
quetion on mileage required for this lax- lax

lax- nrt on AA in F
less than 24 hours at NRT
then nrt-del in J -

8 days at del

then del-hel connection to lhr on AY in J
at lhr for less than 24 hours.
then lhr-lax in F on AA via dfw.

would this be a one world explorer award and if so is the mileage calculated
lax-del-lax due to the less than 24 hours stops at nrt and lhr or do you count each flight separately?

any allowance for the j flights on ay and jl or are these all priced mileage wise as F.?
pricing these awards separately was 205,000 miles.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by marbles dad
lax- nrt on AA in F
less than 24 hours at NRT
then nrt-del in J -

8 days at del

then del-hel connection to lhr on AY in J
at lhr for less than 24 hours.
then lhr-lax in F on AA via dfw.

would this be a one world explorer award
If you wanted it to be and if you complied with the award rules, it could be an Explorer award.

... and if so is the mileage calculated
lax-del-lax due to the less than 24 hours stops at nrt and lhr or do you count each flight separately?
Count each flight.

any allowance for the j flights on ay and jl or are these all priced mileage wise as F.?
If you book a first class Explorer award, there is no allowance for taking a particular flight in business or economy.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by badgersfly
First, I want to throw my two projected itineraries out there for everyone to glance at and tell me if I am missing something. ... My dates are flexible, and I know we are too far out to book anything based on our end dates....
If you can wait until QR becomes a oneworld member, you could do JNB -> DOH -> FCO instead of JNB -> HKG -> FCO. That would save you 6,037 flight miles. Or, you could buy a cheap JNB -> LAD (or LOS or ACC) ticket and then pick up your award with LAD (or LOS or ACC) -> MAD on IB.

QF also operates SCL -> SYD.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Oct 26, 2012 at 1:46 am
Old Oct 26, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
If you wanted it to be and if you complied with the award rules, it could be an Explorer award.

Count each flight.

If you book a first class Explorer award, there is no allowance for taking a particular flight in business or economy.
Thanks for your insights. counting each flight, there is no advantage to booking an explorer award I guess because some of the flights on jl and ay have no F cabin. booking separately costs less miles due to the lower mileage cost of a c cabin.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:31 am

It appears that all business class award space for Iberia is currently gone, on all routes. It has been gone for about 6 days now, at least that was when I first noticed.

Is anyone aware of any other routes with somewhat consistent award space from the east coast to Spain? I'm looking for two business class seats in the first week of July as the first legs of a rtw. With Iberia shut down, I've only been able to find solo seats on a few AA routes from the east coast (and DFW/ORD). Finnair to HEL and back to Spain puts me over the oneworld mile threshold. I'll fall back on Air Berlin if I have to, though from what I hear the business class product has much to be desired.

Thanks to all.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by cjpat44
It appears that all business class award space for Iberia is currently gone, on all routes. It has been gone for about 6 days now, at least that was when I first noticed.
Where are you searching? I don't think this is the case. I held an IB segment about 3-4 days ago in biz.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:42 am

Searching both on Expert Flyer and British Airways, though someone just pointed out to me that Quantas is showing space.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:45 am

Thanks ckpeter and guv1976.

The first agent I called seemed a bit confused. Used the JL website and still can see award availability (same as BA), so not sure why the agent couldn't see it. Will try again.
A tip for those who are calling into the awards reservations desk...I found it useful to first ask if they have experience with Oneworld Explorer Awards. Then if they ask you "what is that?" or "is that international?" or something else equally ridiculous, ask to be transferred to someone with more experience.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by cjpat44
Searching both on Expert Flyer and British Airways, though someone just pointed out to me that Quantas is showing space.
Quantas might not give accurate info...it showed me phantom availablity when the AA agent couldn't actually book it. BA is more tempermental, but tends to be more accurate in my experience. Also, AwardNexus has been a very useful tool.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:53 am

Quantas might not give accurate info...it showed me phantom availablity when the AA agent couldn't actually book it. BA is more tempermental, but tends to be more accurate in my experience. Also, AwardNexus has been a very useful tool.
Looks like I spoke too soon. That Qantas space is only in coach on Iberia or in business on BA. Back to the drawing board.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
If you can wait until QR becomes a oneworld member, you could do JNB -> DOH -> FCO instead of JNB -> HKG -> FCO. That would save you 6,037 flight miles. Or, you could buy a cheap JNB -> LAD (or LOS or ACC) ticket and then pick up your award with LAD (or LOS or ACC) -> MAD on IB.

QF also operates SCL -> SYD.
Austinrunner, thanks for the feedback. I've learned more from your posts than I could have hoped!
I wish I could wait until QR came on, unfortunately plans for children and not wanting to be pregnant on the trip prevent us from waiting that long.
Thanks for the advice on checking out the IB option out of other African countries.

I did see that QF has a flight from SCL to SYD, but everytime I go on the QF site to look at award flights, it only shows Santiago Spain as a departure option, no SCL listed. Do they not offer award seats on that flight for some reason, or am I just not operating the site correctly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.