Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 15, 10:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 10, 12, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical View Post
I have a question about checked luggage on a Business Class Explorer Award. I'm surprised there is no talk of this in the thread.

Business Class gives me 3 checked bags with my trip originating in the US. It seems obvious that I would be allowed these 3 bags for my entire journey- but I wanted to be sure given my trip to SE Asia and Dragonair looks to be 3 segments of my itinerary. This trip is 7 months so I will be utilizing all of my 3 bags with the considerable weight allowed. As I'm sure many know, the local asian carriers charge by weight- so I don't want some gotcha to turn those 3 segments into $3,000 in excess baggage fees!

The additional question is when a flight has no business class. I understand I would then fly coach; but do my bags continue to get a business class allowance of 3 bags? Again, seems obvious that if I start with 3 the ticket would be for 3 bags from start to finish- but I cannot find anything that states such.

thanks!
I would love to know the answer to this as well as checked bag policy for economy.

I did talk to an AAgent once who said that she believed that it varied by carrier, despite American's policy. She then said that there may be a change to promote continuity wherein each segment has the same rules as the airline you book through (ie AA) for Oneworld Explorer. To my knowledge, that has not happened yet.
Old Sep 10, 12, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by captaincool View Post
AKL-SYD (QF) - biz
SYD-HBA (QF) - biz
HBA-MEL (QF) - econ
MEL-HKG (CX) - biz
HKG-BKK (CX) - biz
BKK-DEL (CX) - biz
DEL-AMM-CAI (RJ) - biz
CAI-AMM (RJ) - biz
AMM-IST (RJ) - biz
IST-MAD (IB) - biz
MAD-ORD(IB)-MSP(AA) - biz
I'm still having trouble pricing out the taxes on this itinerary, especially since the RJ segments are creating errors on ITA charging hundreds/thousands more than the actual price on taxes/fees.

AA quoted $503.87/person. Based on this post, which was decided to be correct, it appears as though I was charged correctly. However, I just want to double check here with the true experts - FT is always smarter than CS agents in my experience

EDIT: Anyone have recommendations on insurance for an 8 month, multiple continent trip?

Last edited by captaincool; Sep 10, 12 at 3:45 pm Reason: another question
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:22 pm
Suspended

If ITA is making errors, which seems very unlikely to me, how could we second guess AA's taxes (etc.) quote? I'm not aware of another feasible method.
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:25 pm
Suspended

Go to http;//www.insuremytrip,com and look at the available policies. What suits your trip probably wouldn't suit everyone else's. Travel insurance is highly variable. Read the fine print and make an informed decision,
Old Sep 10, 12, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
If ITA is making errors, which seems very unlikely to me, how could we second guess AA's taxes (etc.) quote? I'm not aware of another feasible method.
I was just hoping for an estimate whether it was close; wasn't sure if that was possible.

In regards to the ITA error, here is what I am shown for DEL-AMM-CAI-AMM. Notice how the taxes/fees are all in the 100s or higher, but the total paid is much less. Subtracting out the fare from the total paid I can get the total taxes/fees, but that includes fuel surcharges. I don't know the accurate proportion

Old Sep 10, 12, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyFlyers77 View Post
I would love to know the answer to this as well as checked bag policy for economy.

I did talk to an AAgent once who said that she believed that it varied by carrier, despite American's policy. She then said that there may be a change to promote continuity wherein each segment has the same rules as the airline you book through (ie AA) for Oneworld Explorer. To my knowledge, that has not happened yet.
Yeah, I REALLY hope Austinrunner or one of the pros chimes in. my experience thus far talking to AA agents is that they all agree it got murky after some DOT changes that went into effect in July 2012. the answers from different calls:

1. No problem. it's 3
2. Nobody knows. It will be up to the other carrier when you get there- we can't control what they do. my response: yeah, but they're YOUR OneWorld partners! If I have 3 70 pound bags and they decide that because their flight only has coach and they aren't AA, they're going to charge me 500+ dollars for my bags. I'd rather know BEFORE I'm at the gate! response: sorry.
3. A fruitless discussion that the COUNTRY (her point) controls it and this is a US DOT rule- check with the other country. My response: If I'm in PNH, the Cambodian govt. isn't going to be telling Dragonair what to charge me for my bags!. It will be Dragonair- based in HK! response: You won't know until you're there. (BTW, I called Dragonair- they told me to talk to AA).
4. Same as #3 until she asked a manager. Manager said he's pretty sure it will be based upon my ticket when I crossed the Pacific Ocean- so 3 bags up to 70 pounds. Asked if AA will give me anything in writing- NOPE!!

and there you have it......... clear as mud

Last edited by uncommonsensical; Sep 10, 12 at 10:40 pm Reason: spelling mishap
Old Sep 11, 12, 12:33 am
Suspended

If an itinerary has an ultimate origin or destination in the United States, then the Department of Transportation requires that the baggage allowance in the first segment of the itinerary must be followed throughout the rest of the itinerary (or something more generous). I'm not sure how you expect us to know in advance whether airlines are going to ignore this regulation.
Old Sep 11, 12, 12:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by captaincool View Post
In regards to the ITA error, here is what I am shown for DEL-AMM-CAI-AMM. Notice how the taxes/fees are all in the 100s or higher, but the total paid is much less. Subtracting out the fare from the total paid I can get the total taxes/fees, but that includes fuel surcharges. I don't know the accurate proportion.
Per ITA:

Taxes (etc.) for DEL -> AMM (connection) -> CAI in Y on RJ
Indian Service Tax (JN) $24.60
Jordan Civil Aviation Transfer Fee (KJ) $6.40
Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO) $3.65
Indian Development Fee (YM) $26.30
Indian User Development Fee (IN) $18.75
TOTAL PER PERSON: $79.70

Taxes (etc.) for CAI -> AMM in Y on RJ
Egypt Transportation Tax (EG) $6.30
Egypt Embarkation Tax (QH) $15.00
Service Charge at Cairo Airport (EQ) $1.00
Egypt Departure Fee (JK) $8.20
Egypt Ticket Issuance Fee (XK) $24.60
TOTAL PER PERSON: $55.10
Old Sep 11, 12, 1:25 am

I've had several experiences where i have been charged bags fees and they don't give a hoot where you came from....

San (aa) dfw (aa) mad(aa) bcn (ib) no charges
Bcn ( ib) mad (aa) dfw(aa) San (aa) charged for spain domestic even with several trips to aa desk in bcn, told it is the initiating carrier that determines fees

Both business class flights

To from hawaii, charged bag fees returning on hi.
Old Sep 11, 12, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sdfamily View Post
Bcn ( ib) mad (aa) dfw(aa) San (aa) charged for spain domestic even with several trips to aa desk in bcn, told it is the initiating carrier that determines fees
In that case, IB rightfully determined your baggage allowance for the entire itinerary, per the U.S. Department of Transportation regulation.
Old Sep 11, 12, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
In that case, IB rightfully determined your baggage allowance for the entire itinerary, per the U.S. Department of Transportation regulation.
What if the outbound SAN-DFW-MAD-BCN was on the same PNR as the BCN-MAD-DFW-SAN return? Then shouldn't the SAN-DFW allowance apply?
Old Sep 11, 12, 11:54 am
Suspended

Yes..
Old Sep 12, 12, 5:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton G, Delta G, UA 1k, AA G
jetstar problem

I currently have on hold 2 business class seats
CA- 873
SFO-HKG
KA - 295
HKG-HAN
QF 24
BKK-SYD
QF -283 (Jetstar)
SYD-HNL
AA-270
HNL LAX

The flight expires tonight, when I called to book I was told I need 150,000 although I am under the 20,000 mile threashhold for a Zone 6 explorer. I was then transfered to a supervisior who told me that the distance was not the problem but instead the jetstar code share was the not permissable in a explorer award under my reading page one that is not correct. Am I out of luck? should I call back the hold much like cinderella's ball expires at midnight. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by student; Sep 12, 12 at 10:20 pm Reason: remove date
Old Sep 13, 12, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by student View Post
I currently have on hold 2 business class seats
CA- 873
SFO-HKG
KA - 295
HKG-HAN
QF 24
BKK-SYD
QF -283 (Jetstar)
SYD-HNL
AA-270
HNL LAX

The flight expires tonight, when I called to book I was told I need 150,000 although I am under the 20,000 mile threashhold for a Zone 6 explorer. I was then transfered to a supervisior who told me that the distance was not the problem but instead the jetstar code share was the not permissable in a explorer award under my reading page one that is not correct. Am I out of luck? should I call back the hold much like cinderella's ball expires at midnight. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
I called 2 different agents who both said Jetstar wasn't bookable. I just worked around it rather than playing agent-roulette.

If you read through the thread you'll see that some people are denied while some are allowed to use JQ/QF codeshares. If that's the only itinerary that'll work then I recommend you call, call, & call some more!

EDIT: didn't realize you posted this yesterday....how'd it work out in the end?

Last edited by captaincool; Sep 13, 12 at 3:29 pm Reason: didn't notice date
Old Sep 13, 12, 6:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton G, Delta G, UA 1k, AA G
I couldn't get around it so I cancelled and rebooked. I have a new 5 day hold but of course when I called back to rebook they gave me the same flights including the jet star flight except now it is in coach and are quoting the 130000 mile rate not 175000. I guess I will see what happen when I try to book. So the question now is on a business class award can I change to business if it opens up later?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: