Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by svasandani
Sorry for the long winded post but what I was trying to show was that I was able to change dates and class of service successfully on 2 other segments in the trip so why should it be a problem on this segment. If I understand it correctly from your post it seems like the DEL-LHR and LHR_BOS were somehow coded as a connection because they were on the same day whereas what I wanted originally was for it to be 2 diff segments so I have full flexibility. If the LHR-BOS was a day later in the original itinerary then I could have changed flight date and times without a problem. Is that correct?

Also, the other passengers are minors so it will be a big problem and since it is AA's mistake they simply have to fix it.
If your originally-ticketed itinerary had a transit of less than so many hours at LHR, then it is automatically considered a connection, and cannot be a stopover, even if you wanted it to be. There is no election involved. And once ticketed, a connection cannot be changed to a stopover on an Explorer award.

AA certainly must have you and the two minors traveling together, but I would be surprised if AA now gives you a stopover in London; they may just put things back to what you originally had.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by svasandani
Sorry for the long winded post but what I was trying to show was that I was able to change dates and class of service successfully on 2 other segments in the trip so why should it be a problem on this segment. If I understand it correctly from your post it seems like the DEL-LHR and LHR_BOS were somehow coded as a connection because they were on the same day whereas what I wanted originally was for it to be 2 diff segments so I have full flexibility. If the LHR-BOS was a day later in the original itinerary then I could have changed flight date and times without a problem. Is that correct?

Also, the other passengers are minors so it will be a big problem and since it is AA's mistake they simply have to fix it.
The first post in this thread (or the website linked in my signature) defines what a connection and a stopover are.

As has been reported, changing a connection to a stopover is a whole different animal than simply changing a date or time. Based on those reports, you can change a date / time as much as you want so long as you don't change a connection to a stopover -or- a stopover to a connection.

Why did you book these itineraries as 3 separate PNRs? That adds complications, as you've seen.

No question that AA should fix these problems. Whether it will, I don't know.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
LIM to JFK or MIA on LAN

Trying to book a RTW explorer ticket in J. One of segment is from LIM to JFK or MIA. Recent search shows availability on a date in Dec 2012 which is 6-7 days earlier than my targetted departure date. I know some airlines like CX will release more seats closer to departure date. Just wondering if LAN works the same way. I do see a lot of J class seats available on EF.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
The first post in this thread (or the website linked in my signature) defines what a connection and a stopover are.

As has been reported, changing a connection to a stopover is a whole different animal than simply changing a date or time. Based on those reports, you can change a date / time as much as you want so long as you don't change a connection to a stopover -or- a stopover to a connection.

Why did you book these itineraries as 3 separate PNRs? That adds complications, as you've seen.

No question that AA should fix these problems. Whether it will, I don't know.
The reason they were in 3 different PNR's i because miles were pulled from 3 separate accounts to buy these tickets. The fact that 2 out of 3 are still showing the correct changed itinerary gives me some hope. Let's see what happens tomorrow but surely learnt one more thing to add to my knowledge base.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 12:49 pm

Is it absolutely impossible to change the business class seat for a segment to first class on a business class award? I need to change the time of that segment, but the later flight only has first class available. The segment is the HKG-SFO on CX.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 2:53 pm
Suspended

It's impossible to book first class award inventory with a business class award, except for AA-operated and marketed flights that offer only first class and economy class seating.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: AA Life time Platinum, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
Trying to book a RTW explorer ticket in J. One of segment is from LIM to JFK or MIA. Recent search shows availability on a date in Dec 2012 which is 6-7 days earlier than my targetted departure date. I know some airlines like CX will release more seats closer to departure date. Just wondering if LAN works the same way. I do see a lot of J class seats available on EF.
I booked a business class award recently that included few LAN segments. I noticed a similar situation where there are lot of paid seats, but none released for awards. It looks like LAN is blocking seats in some routes alltogether. I was booking from LIM-LAX and could not get availability, but LIM-MEX is available. Once you get to MEX, you can get AA flights from there to JFK or MIA easily.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:29 pm

I am still unclear if AB can be used as one of the two required airlines in an Explorer Award ticket using AA miles. The first post says AB isn't a allowed, but someone in this thread wrote that an agent says it is allowed.

So what is the bottom line?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by girlsmom4
I am still unclear if AB can be used as one of the two required airlines in an Explorer Award ticket using AA miles. The first post says AB isn't a allowed, but someone in this thread wrote that an agent says it is allowed.

So what is the bottom line?
It is allowed because AB is now OneWorld Member. The 1st post should have been updated to reflect the change.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It is allowed because AB is now OneWorld Member. The 1st post should have been updated to reflect the change.
Excellent..... thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:04 pm

Hey Gang,
So I finally saved up enough miles for my first OneWorld RTW trip on Economy seating. I've been studying this forum hard, and this is the itinerary I've come up with. Does this sound like a doable itinerary with all the dates and locations? I want to be out of here in 2 weeks and it's got me a bit worried that it is so last minute.

August 10-September 3: Thailand/Laos
September 4-10: Zambia, Africa
September 10-18: Greek Islands, or Spain and Ibiza
September 19-25: Munich, Germany, Oktoberfest
September 25-September 30: Mongolia
September 31-October 29: Hong Kong
October 30-November 25: Sydney, and anywhere else in Australia
November 25- May 2013: Move to and teach in Japan, or South Korea, or Australia

-MM
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Meyers
Hey Gang,
So I finally saved up enough miles for my first OneWorld RTW trip on Economy seating. I've been studying this forum hard, and this is the itinerary I've come up with. Does this sound like a doable itinerary with all the dates and locations? I want to be out of here in 2 weeks and it's got me a bit worried that it is so last minute.

August 10-September 3: Thailand/Laos
September 4-10: Zambia, Africa
September 10-18: Greek Islands, or Spain and Ibiza
September 19-25: Munich, Germany, Oktoberfest
September 25-September 30: Mongolia
September 31-October 29: Hong Kong
October 30-November 25: Sydney, and anywhere else in Australia
November 25- May 2013: Move to and teach in Japan, or South Korea, or Australia

-MM
Where are you starting from and what routing and airlines have you come up with? How many miles do you have? As of now, all you have is where you want to go.
You have a lot of work to do and leaving in two weeks may not be doable.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by lovetotravel
Where are you starting from and what routing and airlines have you come up with? How many miles do you have? As of now, all you have is where you want to go.
You have a lot of work to do and leaving in two weeks may not be doable.
Sorry left a lot out from the post I guess. I have around 200k AA miles, more than enough for the highest OneWorld award on Economy. And at least 100k in BA and US as well for filler flights if needed. I will be flying out of the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't know which airlines to fly yet, that's kinda why I'm asking to see if this sounds like a flyable route. It's all still pretty overwhelming for me, so I just wanted to hear people's advice on a route like this and these locations and dates to see if I may need to tweak my plan a bit.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 8:26 pm
Suspended

I think you need to do a lot more work than what you've done so far. You're expecting too much from us, who are mere volunteers. There are some pay services who will do the planning for you, for a significant fee.

Last edited by Austinrunner; Jul 24, 2012 at 9:01 pm
Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Miles Meyers
Sorry left a lot out from the post I guess. I have around 200k AA miles, more than enough for the highest OneWorld award on Economy. And at least 100k in BA and US as well for filler flights if needed. I will be flying out of the San Francisco Bay Area. I don't know which airlines to fly yet, that's kinda why I'm asking to see if this sounds like a flyable route. It's all still pretty overwhelming for me, so I just wanted to hear people's advice on a route like this and these locations and dates to see if I may need to tweak my plan a bit.
First read the first post of this thread...look at the airlines that are allowed on this type of award, check their route network and connect your airports. Your proposed places to go is allover the map and seems incoherent to me.

As Austin said its very time consuming to put something like this togather. If you want us to help, do some homework first or pay an award service to set this up for you.

I start planning my awards a year in advance and have more than one plan handy when I call the airline to book the award.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.