Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 23, 15, 10:30 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 12, 12, 9:42 am

Do I need to call Cathay and JL to reserve my seats directly? AA wasn't able to secure any seats and I can't pick them online.
Old Jan 12, 12, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
Do I need to call Cathay and JL to reserve my seats directly? AA wasn't able to secure any seats and I can't pick them online.
Yes you can do it online once you get the PNRs of the partner airlines and your departure dates as well as your class of service meet the requirements.

Get the CX and JL PNRs from AA, then go to each airline's own website to select your seats.

CX only allows seat selection up to 180 days for J or F classes. Economy class does not have the advance seat selection benefit I believe... It is spelled out on CX website.

JL also has a limit on advance seat selection. Domestic segments cannot select seats until 1 month before travel? (forgot the details and again there is details on JL website.)
Old Jan 16, 12, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US, SPG, OZ Infant Science Training Course, BEST Upper Deck, Support the Tyrants Travel Club
Originally Posted by hamburglar View Post
The AAgent I booked my tickets with was able to pick the seats I wanted at the time of booking on CX and JL. Maybe try calling again?
Old Jan 16, 12, 9:26 pm
Suspended

YMMV, but I would much rather call the operating airline to get my seats instead of relying on AA to request them.
Old Jan 16, 12, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Austinrunner View Post
YMMV, but I would much rather call the operating airline to get my seats instead of relying on AA to request them.
Better yet, get the operating airline's PNRs and get your own seat assignments online.

CX. JL and QF's trip management tools are very user friendly. BA is less so simply because BA would not allow you select seat unless you have OW status.

I also check the PNRs each time there is a ticket re-issuance to make sure the status remains "Confirmed".
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:42 am

Need some help with OW Award

Hi everybody,

Need some help here, I'm new to OW awards and would like to get some feedback from the forum. I currently have 50k AA miles and 20k Asia Miles. I know is not much but do you have any suggestions for a crazy award starting from SJO or MIA?
Old Jan 18, 12, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
Originally Posted by mbcr2 View Post
Hi everybody,

Need some help here, I'm new to OW awards and would like to get some feedback from the forum. I currently have 50k AA miles and 20k Asia Miles. I know is not much but do you have any suggestions for a crazy award starting from SJO or MIA?
If you can get another 60k AA miles you can do a decent J award to asia (55k/way). Or another 5k aa and enough asia miles to do a OW to the us.
Old Jan 18, 12, 9:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZbba View Post
If you can get another 60k AA miles you can do a decent J award to asia (55k/way). Or another 5k aa and enough asia miles to do a OW to the us.
This thread is about oneworld awards, not all-partner awards. (Refer to post #1 in this thread.) You are talking about the latter.
Old Jan 20, 12, 2:49 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, Hyatt, CX, SQ, BA
How much miles does you need to travel from SFO to Hong Kong on CX?
Old Jan 21, 12, 12:13 am

Availability of redeeming for a oneworld ticket three months in advance?

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your time and expertise. I've been working my way through the 250 pages on this thread to help me plan my trip. I'm hoping to use my AA miles to redeem for a zone 7 ticket (I have enough for business class, which if there is availability for I'd love to take).

However, I want to travel in April-Aug of this year and haven't gotten my ticket yet. Is it wishful thinking on my part to think that I can get seat availability? My proposed route, with flexible dates and locations, is to go to South East Asia and Europe:

JFK-SEA-BKK-KUL-TSA-ICN-HAM-SXF-PRG-ZRH-GVA-JFK

What do you think??

Thanks for your help!!
Christie
Old Jan 21, 12, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by obscuredolfin
Hi all,

Thanks so much for your time and expertise. I've been working my way through the 250 pages on this thread to help me plan my trip. I'm hoping to use my AA miles to redeem for a zone 7 ticket (I have enough for business class, which if there is availability for I'd love to take).

However, I want to travel in April-Aug of this year and haven't gotten my ticket yet. Is it wishful thinking on my part to think that I can get seat availability? My proposed route, with flexible dates and locations, is to go to South East Asia and Europe:

What do you think??

Thanks for your help!!
Christie
Your first task is to propose a segment-by-segment itinerary of flights operated by oneworld carriers. Remember: you are limited to a maximum of 16 segments.
Old Jan 21, 12, 12:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by obscuredolfin View Post
Hi all,

What do you think??

Thanks for your help!!
Christie
Welcome to FT.

I think that your first issue is that some/most of your sectors are not served non-stop by a OW airline. This means that your trip might go over the 25,000 miles and/or 16 sectors. You might want to consider using the award for the LH sectors and do the others some other way. You could use the award for something like JFK-YVR-HKG-ICN-NRT-FRA-BUD-ZRH-JFK with appropriate side trips. This route is 21,688 miles and only 8 sectors so you can add another 8 sectors and 3,312 miles at the same mile cost (that would be my choice) or try to cut out 1,688 to save 20K miles in J.
Old Jan 21, 12, 3:50 am
Suspended

I've been working my way through the 250 pages on this thread to help me plan my trip.
You should study post #1 in this thread and forget about the rest.
Old Jan 22, 12, 3:17 pm

Thanks for your advice, all! I am now working on building a routing of available flights... Two quick questions/clarifications:

1) Just to confirm, if I route through HKG but then fly directly to BKK (under 6 hours, so a connection, and not a stopover), this still counts as a segment against my 16, correct?

2) I found a listing of the first class flights available on oneworld carriers on FT, but not one for business class. Is it safe to assume that business class exists on all the flights that I'm looking at and that I just need to cross my fingers for actual availability? Or, are there flights that don't have business class that I should try to avoid to get the best flying experience/value of my ticket?

Thank you!!
Christie
Old Jan 22, 12, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for your advice, all! I am now working on building a routing of available flights... Two quick questions/clarifications:

1) Just to confirm, if I route through HKG but then fly directly to BKK (under 6 hours, so a connection, and not a stopover), this still counts as a segment against my 16, correct?

2) I found a listing of the first class flights available on oneworld carriers on FT, but not one for business class. Is it safe to assume that business class exists on all the flights that I'm looking at and that I just need to cross my fingers for actual availability? Or, are there flights that don't have business class that I should try to avoid to get the best flying experience/value of my ticket?

Thank you!!
Christie
1) Yes. A flight is a segment and will count toward 16 segments. However, if the flight has a connection city but has a same flight number, it only counts as one segment. An open jaw is also a segment.

2) Based on my experiences, most flights have business class cabin. Some of the business have nothing to brag about (e.g., those intra-Europe flights with same seats as coach but different services).

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: