FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1328727-oneworld-aa-explorer-award-aa-miles-discuss-questions-ended-8-apr-2014-a.html)

Happy Jan 5, 2012 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by jaybert (Post 17755885)
quick question. i booked a business class award ticket a few hours ago through AA reservations on Cathay. gave them a credit card for the taxes/phone fee, but still have not seen a charge on my card. when i look up the PNR on AA.com (got it when i put ticket on hold), it shows up as ticketed. just trying to decide if this was standard or if i should be worried maybe I gave them the wrong credit card number.

There should be an automatic $1 test sent to your card to make sure it is a good card.

If it is truly ticketed you should see the Print Receipt and Itinerary button shows up. If that is not there, then it is not yet ticketed.

You do not see the actual taxes / phone booking fee until however long the ACTUAL ticketing happened - just make sure you receive the e-Ticket within 24 hours. If you dont, then call back to inquire. Chances are you would receive your e-Ticket overnight the latest.

jaybert Jan 5, 2012 4:03 pm

Eng

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17755912)
There should be an automatic $1 test sent to your card to make sure it is a good card.

If it is truly ticketed you should see the Print Receipt and Itinerary button shows up. If that is not there, then it is not yet ticketed.

You do not see the actual taxes / phone booking fee until however long the ACTUAL ticketing happened - just make sure you receive the e-Ticket within 24 hours. If you dont, then call back to inquire. Chances are you would receive your e-Ticket overnight the latest.

Awesome I think I'm good. Logged in to see if I had a $1 charge (lots of charges from as for gift cards so don't recall if there) and now see both $1 charges as well as 2x $200 charges that are definitely the taxes.

Thanks!

busybear Jan 9, 2012 6:36 am

OneWorld Award help -- infant cost, and absolutely no avail to EZE?

Everybody,

I've been a lurking "member" of this forum for quite some time, learning lots over the last few years. I hope to be able to contribute as well at some point, as I'm learning more and more...

My wife and I both have just over 150,000 miles on AA, and are hoping to plan a OneWorld Award trip in business class this year. We live in Boston and plan on a "long stopover" in NYC, which we would use to go home for a few months, then go back to NYC to continue our trip. I've been using the BA website and the AA website to look for award availability, but am really struggling with one leg and just looking for ideas.

Before diving into that, could anybody direct me to information about our <2 year old baby traveling with us as a lap child? She's been on 11 flights in her first 4 months of life... Domestically it's been free, and internationally we've paid 10% of her fare I believe. My current understanding is that we have to pay 10% of a full business class fare for her? Is it possible to use miles for this? Is this the case across the board, on other words is it a OneWorld restriction, or airline by airline?

The routing we're looking at is:

Aug 28 (confirmed space on BA.com)
Boston - London (British Airways) CONNECTION 1

Aug 29 (confirmed space on BA.com)
London - Oslo (British Airways) STOPOVER 1

Sep 5 (confirmed space on BA.com)
Oslo - London (British Airways) STOPOVER 1

Sep 7 (confirmed space on BA.com)
London - Tel Aviv (British Airways) STOPOVER 1

Sep 15, (confirmed space on BA.com)
Tel Aviv - Amman (Royal Jordanian) STOPOVER 1

Sep 18 (confirmed space on BA.com)
Amman - New York (Royal Jordanian) -- STOPOVER 1 for up to 6 months

-- fly to Boston on separate ticket then return to NYC for the Buenos Aires trip --

But here's where the tricky stuff starts. We would like to do the following routing, and we are super flexible on dates, but I've searched the entire year starting next week and going 12 months forward on both the BA and AA websites, with absolutely no luck..! I also signed up for Expert Flyer, and can't find any availability there. Can it really be that within the next 12 months, there is not a single business class (U) award seat available on any flights between NYC and EZE? In economy, it looks grim as well...

Dates very flexible:
New York - Buenos Aires (American Airlines or LAN) STOPOVER 1
Buenos Aires - Mendoza (LAN Argentina) STOPOVER 1
Mendoza - Buenos Aires (LAN Argentina) CONNECTION 1
Buenos Aires - New York (American Airlines or LAN) CONNECTION 1
New York - Boston (American Airlines) FINAL DESTINATION

DownUnderFlyer Jan 10, 2012 12:08 am

Welcome to FT, busybear!

As your question is in regards to the usage of AA miles you should ask our moderator to move this thread to the AA forum. All the rules which you need are AA program specific and not oneworld specific.

By the way, I see plenty of award availability to Buenos Aires from NYC. Some business, but First almost every day. Search for BUE rather than EZE, this might help.

busybear Jan 10, 2012 5:58 am

Thank you for the response! I thought this was the place since I thought a OneWorld award had the same rules across the entire network, regardless of where the miles are coming from..? Who is the moderator, happy to move it.

I tried BUE, but only found the higher up award on AA.com (Anytime), which I believe is a higher class of service than what is used for OneWorld Award (U) Business?

busybear Jan 10, 2012 6:00 am

Meaning I got the same results for BUE as EZE. Did you see the cheaper award in business on any days?

Gardyloo Jan 10, 2012 7:28 am

Originally Posted by busybear (Post 17784531)
Thank you for the response! I thought this was the place since I thought a OneWorld award had the same rules across the entire network, regardless of where the miles are coming from..? Who is the moderator, happy to move it.

Each mileage program's rules and redemption processes are particular to that program only.

Please continue the discussion on the AA board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

busybear Jan 10, 2012 7:40 am

Thank you for moving this thread, Gardyloo! Hope somebody is able to help here.

millionmiler Jan 10, 2012 8:19 am

Originally Posted by busybear (Post 17777500)
Everybody,

I've been a lurking "member" of this forum for quite some time, learning lots over the last few years. I hope to be able to contribute as well at some point, as I'm learning more and more...

My wife and I both have just over 150,000 miles on AA, and are hoping to plan a OneWorld Award trip in business class this year. We live in Boston and plan on a "long stopover" in NYC, which we would use to go home for a few months, then go back to NYC to continue our trip. I've been using the BA website and the AA website to look for award availability, but am really struggling with one leg and just looking for ideas.

Before diving into that, could anybody direct me to information about our <2 year old baby traveling with us as a lap child? She's been on 11 flights in her first 4 months of life... Domestically it's been free, and internationally we've paid 10% of her fare I believe. My current understanding is that we have to pay 10% of a full business class fare for her? Is it possible to use miles for this? Is this the case across the board, on other words is it a OneWorld restriction, or airline by airline?

The routing we're looking at is:

Aug 28 (confirmed space on BA.com)
Boston - London (British Airways) CONNECTION 1

Aug 29 (confirmed space on BA.com)
London - Oslo (British Airways) STOPOVER 1

Sep 5 (confirmed space on BA.com)
Oslo - London (British Airways) STOPOVER 1

Sep 7 (confirmed space on BA.com)
London - Tel Aviv (British Airways) STOPOVER 1

Sep 15, (confirmed space on BA.com)
Tel Aviv - Amman (Royal Jordanian) STOPOVER 1

Sep 18 (confirmed space on BA.com)
Amman - New York (Royal Jordanian) -- STOPOVER 1 for up to 6 months

-- fly to Boston on separate ticket then return to NYC for the Buenos Aires trip --

But here's where the tricky stuff starts. We would like to do the following routing, and we are super flexible on dates, but I've searched the entire year starting next week and going 12 months forward on both the BA and AA websites, with absolutely no luck..! I also signed up for Expert Flyer, and can't find any availability there. Can it really be that within the next 12 months, there is not a single business class (U) award seat available on any flights between NYC and EZE? In economy, it looks grim as well...

Dates very flexible:
New York - Buenos Aires (American Airlines or LAN) STOPOVER 1
Buenos Aires - Mendoza (LAN Argentina) STOPOVER 1
Mendoza - Buenos Aires (LAN Argentina) CONNECTION 1
Buenos Aires - New York (American Airlines or LAN) CONNECTION 1
New York - Boston (American Airlines) FINAL DESTINATION

You can't use your miles for the 10% infant portion and, yes, its 10% of the full fare of the cabin you are in although some people have reported that AA has approved 10% of the discount fare.

mlibers Jan 10, 2012 8:47 am

You should consider BUE to BOS or BOS to BUE as well.

thetravelabstract Jan 10, 2012 9:02 am

EZE-NYC is a hard trip to find awards on as there is only one flight every day. In my experience Biz Class Awards are the 1st to go on this route.

For anecdotal evidence about booking an award on this flight....

Just two weeks ago I was trying to book my return flight to EZE and I just missed economy milesAAver availability because I wasn't sure what date.

So a week later I put two first class milesAAver tix on hold, just as an insurance policy. Then at 11pm last night I get flight alert from EF saying that there are now 7 economy class milesAAver seats available, so I put those two on hold. a little wacky no?

Still debating which one to go with, it is an 11 hr flight so first class would be nice but only 20k miles for that route is too good.

So award availability does change drastically over the course of a couple weeks but with NYC-EZE being super tight I wouldn't bank on it. You may have to upgrade to first class.

Best of luck!

3Cforme Jan 10, 2012 9:20 am

I tried BUE, but only found the higher up award on AA.com (Anytime), which I believe is a higher class of service than what is used for OneWorld Award (U) Business?

There's oodles of First milesAAver awards LGA-EZE. That's 62.5K/person vs. 50K in Business. It will boost the cost of the infant fare significantly - but full miles can be used for infant fares, too, when redeeming AA miles.

guv1976 Jan 10, 2012 10:18 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

There's oodles of First milesAAver awards LGA-EZE. That's 62.5K/person vs. 50K in Business. It will boost the cost of the infant fare significantly - but full miles can be used for infant fares, too, when redeeming AA miles.

The OP is trying to construct a oneworld award, not a one-way award. If even one flight in three-class F is included in the itinerary, the OP would have to pay the F rate for the entire itinerary, not just for one segment.

To the OP: you do realize that you will pay a small fortune in fuel surcharges by including BA segments on your itinerary, right?

wijibintheair Jan 11, 2012 6:21 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 17786087)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

To the OP: you do realize that you will pay a small fortune in fuel surcharges by including BA segments on your itinerary, right?

+1 on this - the BA charges are just ridiculous - I have managed to book a 16 flight round the world from South Africa + back to US and around Europe a second time in business and all in paying $435.00 in taxes because of avoiding Heathrow and BA completely - once you had BA longhaul and Heathrow into the mix the price sky-rockets - you could probably cover the infant's ticket price in the savings by avoiding BA.

JDiver Jan 11, 2012 10:32 am

Re: Leaving others miles after death.

Please continue this line of discussion in the thread titled AA miles - what happens w/ death / passing away? (bequest, will) (consolidated), where the posts have been moved to.

Thank you. /Moderator

Originally Posted by trekker954 (Post 17786693)
Whoa, there, I didn't realize we can leave someone our miles. I would love to will my miles to my daughter. How is that done?

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 17787958)
I believe you would have a valid Will that includes this in the Will. Then your daughter submits said Will to AA together with other proof of documents that you have passed away and the executor of your Will confirms this is a valid Will. Then AA would do the necessary transfer of miles after it is satisfied with the documents.