Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reymont
Okay! Another 45 minutes and 33 seconds on the phone with the Aadvantage desk this morning, but I think it's good to go.

They said the ticketing got held up again because the 'fare calculation line was too long' for the system. The agent had to call and wait for two other departments to override and process it manually.

The agent told me that it's all ticketed and done, now, though. I just got an e-mail with all the details, the amount I paid in taxes, and a ticket number. On AA.com, under My Trips, it shows as ticketed today, but doesn't list a ticket number or the price.

I think I'm claiming success? I hope we're done, now.

220,000 AA miles, $950 in taxes. 45,000 flight miles and 16 segments.
PDX-DFW (First)
DFW-LAX (First)
LAX-BNE (Economy)
BNE-AKL (Business)
AKL-HKG (Economy)
HKG-NRT (Business)
NRT-DEL (Shuttle)
DEL-HEL (Business)
HEL-WAW (Business)
WAW-LHR (Club Exc)
LHR-CAI (Economy)
CAI-LHR (Club Exc)
LHR-EZE (Club Exc)
EZE-LIM (Business)
LIM-LAX (Economy)
LAX-LAS (First)

Whew! I just need to monitor those four economy flights, in case an Aadvantage seat opens up on Business class. Do I subscribe to ExpertFlyer to do that? I haven't used it before.
Ticket number or price never shows up on the summary of My Trip. You need to go into the Print Receipt and Itinerary to see that.

The button of Print Receipt and Itinerary would not show up UNLESS the itinerary is ticketed. You should see this button on AA site if you have received your e-ticket email.

I were you I would print a PDF file of the Receipt for record keeping. 4 longhauls in voluntary downgraded to coach... Ouch. Good luck in getting back to where you have paid for.

Just make sure you have a NEW ticket reissued after EACH change. Again, the Print Receipt and Itinerary button is the tell-tale. Without it, your itinerary is NOT ticketed.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:32 pm

Getting a complicated Award actually ticketted

Reymont,

Your experience is not that unusual with so many airlines and complex rule verification into play, ticketing a complex trip like yoyurs does take time.

Earlier this year a relatively simpler ticketting took much longer. In once instance, one of my segment was taken away by partner airline while things sat with rate desk for approval.

It seems that calling during US late evening/night hours causes more challenge than calling during US afternoon hours. (YMMV)

Hope you do get business class eventually for those very long flights.
Good luck and enjoy the trip(s) (is it 2 or 3 trips?)
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Again, the Print Receipt and Itinerary button is the tell-tale. Without it, your itinerary is NOT ticketed.
Well, I see both buttons, and I just saved a pdf of the receipt...but it says I paid $0 and 0 miles for the ticket....

Wait - there it is, way down at the bottom of the ticket, showing the $925 I paid in taxes. And it also gives the ticket number there, so I'm just going to hope it's all good.

My dates weren't very flexible, unfortunately, so I had to take the four downgrades. But I *earned* the miles by flying in Economy, so I'm not too scared of those flights - I've only flown in Business once, so it still seems like a treat.

I just threw the entire itinerary into rtw.oneworld.com to see what they would have charged me if I'd just paid cash. With all the same flights, it would have been $14,202. So I got about 6 cents per mile, on my trade in miles? I don't think that's too shabby.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by desi
Good luck and enjoy the trip(s) (is it 2 or 3 trips?)
Thanks! Just one trip - I'm sure looking forward to it. I'm in the process of adding side trips to Sydney, Fiji, Kathmandu, Tallin, Santiago, and Cusco, to that list.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Hi all,

My fiance and I just had our AA credit card signup miles bonus post so we're ready to book our honeymoon flights.

My plan was HNL-NRT-MNL-HKG-JNB in August of next year in biz class (just under 14k air miles). Looks like there's availability on reasonable days for all but the first leg. Is it way too risky to find availability for the HNL-NRT on an earlier day, book the trip and then monitor availability and hope that 2 biz class seats for HNL-NRT on the days we want open up before our trip starts? If that doesn't happen and we miss that first leg the whole itinerary is canceled, right? Just afraid that while waiting for availability to open up on first leg the availability for the other legs will disappear.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 4:58 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by meecal
Hi all,

My fiance and I just had our AA credit card signup miles bonus post so we're ready to book our honeymoon flights.

My plan was HNL-NRT-MNL-HKG-JNB in August of next year in biz class (just under 14k air miles). Looks like there's availability on reasonable days for all but the first leg. Is it way too risky to find availability for the HNL-NRT on an earlier day, book the trip and then monitor availability and hope that 2 biz class seats for HNL-NRT on the days we want open up before our trip starts? If that doesn't happen and we miss that first leg the whole itinerary is canceled, right? Just afraid that while waiting for availability to open up on first leg the availability for the other legs will disappear.
If you are not flexible on the date at all, consider taking a downgrade to economy (if available) and monitor the business class. Better than missing out the entire trip if no J available.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Originally Posted by shihyin
If you are not flexible on the date at all, consider taking a downgrade to economy (if available) and monitor the business class. Better than missing out the entire trip if no J available.
I should have mentioned there is no economy availability for that flight either right now.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I should have mentioned there is no economy availability for that flight either right now.
Don't book a date you're not willing to fly. There's no guarantee that saver business or coach awards will open up - and I use a lot of ExpertFlyer alerts.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Don't book a date you're not willing to fly. There's no guarantee that saver business or coach awards will open up - and I use a lot of ExpertFlyer alerts.
Thanks. Even though that's not the answer I was hoping for it certainly helps to know that.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Thanks. Even though that's not the answer I was hoping for it certainly helps to know that.
Have you checked availability for HNL-HND? Or HNL-NGO-TYO, or HNL-KIX-TYO? And remember that, if there is Coach award space available now on your desired travel dates, you can take a voluntary downgrade for purposes of ticketing the award, and later upgrade to Business (free of charge) if it should become available.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I see both buttons, and I just saved a pdf of the receipt...but it says I paid $0 and 0 miles for the ticket....

Wait - there it is, way down at the bottom of the ticket, showing the $925 I paid in taxes. And it also gives the ticket number there, so I'm just going to hope it's all good.

My dates weren't very flexible, unfortunately, so I had to take the four downgrades. But I *earned* the miles by flying in Economy, so I'm not too scared of those flights - I've only flown in Business once, so it still seems like a treat.

I just threw the entire itinerary into rtw.oneworld.com to see what they would have charged me if I'd just paid cash. With all the same flights, it would have been $14,202. So I got about 6 cents per mile, on my trade in miles? I don't think that's too shabby.
It is ticketed.

Just make sure EACH and EVERY TIME you have a change on your itinerary even just the time, the ticket must be REISSUED. Failing the re-issuance of ticket could cause A Lot of Trouble down the road.

Make sure the reissuance is done and you get a Fresh Receipt. It cannot be emphasized enough to make sure you have a new e-ticket after each change no matter how minor it seems.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It cannot be emphasized enough to make sure you have a new e-ticket after each change no matter how minor it seems.
Okay, I hear you. But MAN, it was so hard to get it ticketed in the first place...they had to escalate to a lot of different people to get it processed manually. If I get it reissued, will I have to fight through all that again?
Old Oct 10, 2013, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, I hear you. But MAN, it was so hard to get it ticketed in the first place...they had to escalate to a lot of different people to get it processed manually. If I get it reissued, will I have to fight through all that again?
Get used to it. It is the nature of the beast because most Explorer awards are complicated. Plus the partner airlines can often change schedules especially if you booked months ahead.

In rare chances, yes, you would need to fight thru it again if an exception has been made in prior ticketing occasion(s).

I once had JL changed airport from ICN to GMP on me. Tickets were reissued to make exceptional accommodation (because airport can NOT be changed on Explorer award once ticketed). THREE reissuances later, the 4th one was hung up at rate desk because someone saw the ICN to GMP being "illegal" even though it was an involuntary change - by JL, not by me. It took a very nice AAgent to take it upon herself to straighten this up with the rate desk when the reissuance hung up for a week.

That ticket had like 14 reissuances with 11 of them involuntary and the 3 that were voluntary being induced by the involuntary ones so we had to juggle the schedules. On top of JL changed airport, QF canceled our flight, and a myriad of schedule changes, thanks to the financial crisis in 2008/2009 that brought about drastic capacity cut among all airlines. It was a miracle that when we actually traveled, there was not a single hiccup on the whole trip which was only 11 segments by the way.

So yeah, be prepared.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:03 am

Exclamation First Leg No Availability is Preventing Whole Trip

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you checked availability for HNL-HND? Or HNL-NGO-TYO, or HNL-KIX-TYO? And remember that, if there is Coach award space available now on your desired travel dates, you can take a voluntary downgrade for purposes of ticketing the award, and later upgrade to Business (free of charge) if it should become available.
Yes, I have tried those. No luck so far. The date of travel for Honolulu to Tokyo is Aug 4th. I've been checking on the British Airways site. Is that the best free site to use to check for this leg (and NRT-MNL-HKG-JNB)? I believe my only real airline option for an Explorer award leg between these two spots is Japan Airlines. Is that correct? Thank you for the help!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by guv1976

Yes, I have tried those. No luck so far. The date of travel for Honolulu to Tokyo is Aug 4th. I've been checking on the British Airways site. Is that the best free site to use to check for this leg (and NRT-MNL-HKG-JNB)? I believe my only real airline option for an Explorer award leg between these two spots is Japan Airlines. Is that correct? Thank you for the help!
Yes, JL is your only option, unless you want to fly HNL-LAX on AA, which will significantly increase the flown mileage on the award.

The ba.com website is not always good with displaying award availability on itineraries requiring connecting flights on partner carriers. So, instead of just searching for HNL-NRT, I would search for HNL-KIX, and then KIX-HND/NRT separately; or HNL-NGO, and then NGO-HND/NRT separately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.