Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by Reymont
Okay! Planning these things is rough, but I think I found a solution that works for me. Used all 16 segments and stayed just under the 50,000-mile limit. I was hoping for all direct flights, but I had to make two connections, I think.

I spent about 3 hours in the phone with AA on Monday, while we worked it all out. They submitted it to some 'special desk' in Dallas that approves these things...and it's been sitting there, ever since.

I can see it listed on aa.com under 'My Trips.' I called in yesterday to see if there'd been any change, but was told to just keep waiting.

Anyone know how long it takes? Or when I should get worried?
My last itinerary include a long haul MH flight from KUL to LHR (have no problem with another leg intra-asia). First agent told me the leg could not be booked (even though available according to BA website). The second agent told me she can see them but couldn't put it into the reservation right away. After speaking with supervisor, it turns out that it will require contacting MH which takes about 24hr to verify. Waited a day and it showed up fine and was able to ticket the whole trip, eventually. So it probably depends on the carrier and the flight (I had no problem with other legs involving BA and CX).
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Some information for you.

KVS should have full coverage for all oneworld carrier at this point. The set of carriers changes all the time, so don't try to match the numbers.

Award Nexus does use a points-based system, and the advantage of that is that you can drive the search as hard as you want. If you want to do deep searches, you can run 10-20 points searches, doing 14-days scans or 10 segment searches at a time, and gain a lot of visibility into the award availability. Or, you can run searches slowly, 3 - 5 points at a time, and use very little points. It's a unique feature of Award Nexus to give you a choice to pay for those intense searches.

As for your trip, a typical oneworld explorer award will have 2-3 long-haul segments, which will average about 100 points each. Adding together the short-hauls and the possibility of using automated search alert, you are looking at 500 - 800 points, or about $30 - $50 worth of points.

This is comparable to a six month subscription to other tools.

Also, you may be interested to know that Award Nexus includes a special Distance Pricer, which can automatically price out the cost of the routing for your oneworld Explorer award.

Personally, I think KVS and EF are both great tools, and since you are in an investigative mood, you should sign up for the 5-days trial of EF and (I think) KVS may be willing to give you a trial if you PM him. Of course, as a FT member, you already have a free membership to Award Nexus.

Definitely try all the tools yourself. If you rely on other people's opinion, what works for them may not work for you.

I hope this helps!
Awardnexus is really customer friendly but I do not like the points system. Make it a monthly flat rate with unlimited points and I am in. Therefore I use mostly the KVS tool now. I do a lot of award bookings and as you said you need more than one tool. EF is good for some stuff as well.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 7:10 pm

Okay! Planning these things is rough, but I think I found a solution that works for me. Used all 16 segments and stayed just under the 50,000-mile limit. I was hoping for all direct flights, but I had to make two connections, I think.

I spent about 3 hours in the phone with AA on Monday, while we worked it all out. They submitted it to some 'special desk' in Dallas that approves these things...and it's been sitting there, ever since.

I can see it listed on aa.com under 'My Trips.' I called in yesterday to see if there'd been any change, but was told to just keep waiting.

Anyone know how long it takes? Or when I should get worried?
The rate desk usually approves it while you are on the phone. Sometimes this can take up to an hour. What can take 24 hrs or more is for all airlines to confirm the flights. So if this is still sitting at the rate desk I would ask what the hold up is.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Guys a quick question.. I have the following itinerary in mind..

IAH-DOH-JED-DOH-HKG-SFO-LAX-MIA-JFK-SEA-ORD-AMM-ORD-LAX-OGG-LAX-MRY

the problem segment so far seems like HKG-SFO as I am not able to find non-stop flights on CX.
I am able to find flights from HKG-NRT (on CX), HND-SFO(on JAL).
will this count as two segments or one segment as co-located airports?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by iqbalt80
Guys a quick question.. I have the following itinerary in mind..

IAH-DOH-JED-DOH-HKG-SFO-LAX-MIA-JFK-SEA-ORD-AMM-ORD-LAX-OGG-LAX-MRY

the problem segment so far seems like HKG-SFO as I am not able to find non-stop flights on CX.
I am able to find flights from HKG-NRT (on CX), HND-SFO(on JAL).
will this count as two segments or one segment as co-located airports?
switching airports in the same city does not count as an additional segment. However you already have 16 segments. If you switch from HKG-SFO to HKG-NRT/HND-SFO you have 17.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
delete
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"switching airports in the same city does not count as an additional segment."

That is not correct. While a land segment between two co-terminals does not constitute an open jaw, it does constitute one of the allowable 16 segments.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"switching airports in the same city does not count as an additional segment."

That is not correct. While a land segment between two co-terminals does not constitute an open jaw, it does constitute one of the allowable 16 segments.
Thanks for the correction. You are right.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by ckpeter
For an explorer award, a stopover is preferred over a connection, because the past reports have been that, as far as the way AA is enforcing the rules, while it is easy to convert a stopover into a connection, it is essentially impossible to convert a connection into a stopover. If you anticipate making changes in the future, it would make sense to book a longer layover that qualify it as a stopover, so that you have more flexibility to make changes in the future.

When you are talking about MX or weather, that is already on the day of departure. Airlines are generally very accommodating when it comes to rebooking for those reasons. At a minimum, you will be put on the next flight on the same carrier with any space, and no award availability would be required. Depending on the specifics, you may also be offered an alternate routing or another carrier.

Where MX vs. weather differ is more in the other accommodations, such as who pays for the overnight hotels or extra meals.
I think I understand. So if I can, on airports that I do not intend to pass through again, I should make it a stopover vs. a connection. Whether that stop over is a day or three days or more. If I plan on using that airport again as a connection or stopover then I need to worry about the stopover/connection rules as to the number of times I can use that airport.

Would that be a basic understanding?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I think I understand. So if I can, on airports that I do not intend to pass through again, I should make it a stopover vs. a connection. Whether that stop over is a day or three days or more. If I plan on using that airport again as a connection or stopover then I need to worry about the stopover/connection rules as to the number of times I can use that airport.

Would that be a basic understanding?
Essentially you got it.

The assumption here is that your award is long-term planned and you expect the possibility to make additional changes. Because of the restrictive nature of the explorer award, you want to, all else being possible, book something that counts as a stopover, as opposed to a connection.

If it turns out you need to make changes, you can (as much as AA currently allows) switch stopover to connection, but it is nearly impossible to switch a connection to a stopover later.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:12 pm

Qatar Airlines availability

I am interested in using Qatar airlines for the Explorer award discussed here next year. I read in the AA threads that Qatar would be available for use with this type of award on Oct 30 but one could book the trip Sept 23. I saw several other threads stating they could not do this until Oct 30 and I also could not do it when I tried to book a trip with the AA rep. Since this forum has had many discussions about the AA rep having misinformation, is there any way to get to the Explore award help desk to get this clarified or is all you can do is call AA and have them ask the desk for clarification?
Has any one else tried to book Qatar now and failed or have you had sucess?
Thanks, RIck
Old Oct 3, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by stromer52
I am interested in using Qatar airlines for the Explorer award discussed here next year. I read in the AA threads that Qatar would be available for use with this type of award on Oct 30 but one could book the trip Sept 23. I saw several other threads stating they could not do this until Oct 30 and I also could not do it when I tried to book a trip with the AA rep. Since this forum has had many discussions about the AA rep having misinformation, is there any way to get to the Explore award help desk to get this clarified or is all you can do is call AA and have them ask the desk for clarification?
Has any one else tried to book Qatar now and failed or have you had sucess?
Thanks, RIck
The rules of the oneworld explorer award is very clear that you can only book oneworld carriers, so until Qatar enters oneworld on October 30, you cannot include QR on it. Since explorer awards do not award post-ticketing carrier change, this means if you ticket the award before that date, there is no way you can change to use QR on it.

Unfortunately, if you want QR you will have to wait until October 30 to ticket your award.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mfr2000
The rate desk usually approves it while you are on the phone. Sometimes this can take up to an hour. What can take 24 hrs or more is for all airlines to confirm the flights. So if this is still sitting at the rate desk I would ask what the hold up is.
Ugh! Okay, I called in to ask if there'd been any progress, and they told me my itinerary had been approved. I gave them my credit card number for the taxes, and they said I should see the confirmation e-mail within 24 hours.

Instead I got an e-mail telling me to call in - when I did, they told me it had been un-approved, because I connect through LAX and then end in LAX. No connections or stopovers allowed in your starting or ending cities.

I think I solved it this morning by finding a better route. I eliminated a connection with a direct flight, which freed up a segment to add on after LAX, which means I'm connecting through there twice but it's no longer my ending city.

They re-submitted it, and I got an e-mail listing everything...but now I can't view it on AA.com. I see the record number under My Trips, but clicking on it gives me an error message. I hope it went through...I'll call back tomorrow to bother them again.

PDX-DFW-LAX-BNE-AKL-HKG-NRT-DEL-HEL-WAW-LHR-CAI-LHR-EZE-LIM-LAX-LAS
Old Oct 7, 2013, 6:49 pm

Ugh! Okay, I called in to ask if there'd been any progress, and they told me my itinerary had been approved. I gave them my credit card number for the taxes, and they said I should see the confirmation e-mail within 24 hours.

Instead I got an e-mail telling me to call in - when I did, they told me it had been un-approved, because I connect through LAX and then end in LAX. No connections or stopovers allowed in your starting or ending cities.

I think I solved it this morning by finding a better route. I eliminated a connection with a direct flight, which freed up a segment to add on after LAX, which means I'm connecting through there twice but it's no longer my ending city.

They re-submitted it, and I got an e-mail listing everything...but now I can't view it on AA.com. I see the record number under My Trips, but clicking on it gives me an error message. I hope it went through...I'll call back tomorrow to bother them again.

PDX-DFW-LAX-BNE-AKL-HKG-NRT-DEL-HEL-WAW-LHR-CAI-LHR-EZE-LIM-LAX-LAS
Wow, this process is ridiculous. I called in on Saturday morning, and they said it had stalled out at some desk that needed an answer from another desk. They said they cleared it up and it should be good to go.

Then they called me on Saturday afternoon to re-confirm that I'm accepting an voluntary downgrade to economy on 4 of the flights. It wasn't news to me, so I re-approved and they said it should be ticketed on Monday morning.

I called in at lunch today, and they said it had stalled out because someone used the wrong ticket number. The agent said they cleared that up, and it should be good to go. That just took me 7 minutes.

I called back after work, and the agent said it had stalled out again because the taxes had been calculated incorrectly. They were actually $7 more than I'd been told, so it wasn't ticketed. I gave them my credit card information again, and they said it should be good to go. That was a 30 minute phone call.

I'll continue to call and try to push this thing through. Ridiculous!
Old Oct 8, 2013, 12:42 pm

Wow, this process is ridiculous.
Okay! Another 45 minutes and 33 seconds on the phone with the Aadvantage desk this morning, but I think it's good to go.

They said the ticketing got held up again because the 'fare calculation line was too long' for the system. The agent had to call and wait for two other departments to override and process it manually.

The agent told me that it's all ticketed and done, now, though. I just got an e-mail with all the details, the amount I paid in taxes, and a ticket number. On AA.com, under My Trips, it shows as ticketed today, but doesn't list a ticket number or the price.

I think I'm claiming success? I hope we're done, now.

220,000 AA miles, $950 in taxes. 45,000 flight miles and 16 segments.
PDX-DFW (First)
DFW-LAX (First)
LAX-BNE (Economy)
BNE-AKL (Business)
AKL-HKG (Economy)
HKG-NRT (Business)
NRT-DEL (Shuttle)
DEL-HEL (Business)
HEL-WAW (Business)
WAW-LHR (Club Exc)
LHR-CAI (Economy)
CAI-LHR (Club Exc)
LHR-EZE (Club Exc)
EZE-LIM (Business)
LIM-LAX (Economy)
LAX-LAS (First)

Whew! I just need to monitor those four economy flights, in case an Aadvantage seat opens up on Business class. Do I subscribe to ExpertFlyer to do that? I haven't used it before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.