Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has oneworld Lounge Access Policy Recently Changed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Exactly correct. OW status had nothing to do with it; flying in 3-class transcon Z did.

I think that the OP was correctly denied access. I'm not saying he owes the contract agents at the FRA JAL lounge an apology, just that he did not have legitimate grounds to seek access.

Now, if the FRA AA AC had still been open, then he could have sought access legitimately as an AA international premium class passenger. This policy is internal to AA (nothing to do with OW) and says nothing about requiring an onward/departing flight on any airline.
Most likely AC access wouldn't have been a problem, however don't forget that the OP was coming off of a BA flight, not an AA flight, even though he was connecting from an AA long-haul flight. It makes me wonder whether AA would have referred to the letter of their own policy or of the OW policy...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
The aa.com page is a broad benefits summary that does not purport to set forth all of the lounge access rules; in fact it links to the OW page and the link caption is "More details at oneworld.com."
So the answer is that the JAL Lounge was correct to deny access?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:21 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by BigBopper
The One World site states you must be a departing passenger and has no mention of arriving.

So, which is correct?
That is because there are no arrival lounge benefits within OneWorld (or any of the other 2 alliances for that matter), nor have there ever been.

Arrival lounge access is provided by certain airlines (typically to their own PAX only), however, it is not a OneWorld benefit.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
That is because there are no arrival lounge benefits within OneWorld (or any of the other 2 alliances for that matter), nor have there ever been.

Arrival lounge access is provided by certain airlines (typically to their own PAX only), however, it is not a OneWorld benefit.
With the exception of American Airlines

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp then scroll down for this

Arrivals Lounge

All First, Business and oneworld™ Emerald passengers flying American to London Heathrow are invited to enjoy the Arrivals Lounge amenities upon their arrival (all other passengers can pay a fee of $90 USD + VAT for access to the London Heathrow lounge upon arriving). To enter, simply show your boarding pass and photo ID at the front desk.
Hours: 6.00 a.m. - 2.00 p.m.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA offered Arrivals on an informal basis at FRA to arriving elites, as it was outside of security. It was always accessible to AC members, of course, because that's what membership provides for - an din nits instance, one did not even have to arrange for access in advance, as it was landside.

If the OP had been continuing the journey on a oneworld airline, the Sakura Lounge personnel would have been incorrect to deny access.

Though the FRA AC was nearly antediluvian in furnishings and even the showers were unimpressive they were there; mostly, I miss the FRA AC staff!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:18 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by pdog02
With the exception of American Airlines

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp then scroll down for this
It is a benefit provided by AA for its own PAX ("passengers flying American to London Heathrow"); it is not a OneWorld[-mandated] benefit, as per the OP.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbrower
So the OP was wrong and owes an apology to the JAL lounge?
Yes. The traditional Japanese method of expressing one's deep regrets for having mistakenly demanded lounge access is called seppuku. Definitely called for in this case.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gemac
Yes. The traditional Japanese method of expressing one's deep regrets for having mistakenly demanded lounge access is called seppuku. Definitely called for in this case.
Except that it can't be done at a lounge inside security.

Cheers.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
Except that it can't be done at a lounge inside security.

Cheers.

Actually, the FRA JAL lounge is outside of security, but beyond Schengen passport control. FRA is one of those weird places where security is done at individual gates (or clusters of gates). But passport control is the main control point leading to the international gates.

So, you would proceed as follows:
1) baggage security questions (ICTS part I)
2) ticket counter
3) electronic boarding pass verification gates (confirming eligible flight departing Schengen zone)
4) Schengen exit immigration
5) sterile departures/arrivals concourse (OUTSIDE security)
6) visit lounges as desired
7) security checkpoint
8) gate screening (ICTS part II)

(That's why only one car of the light rail system going from T1 to T2 and back is available from any one side at a time. The other side operates on the opposite side of the Schengen zone. So, if you are arriving from outside Schengen in T1 and departing to a point outside Schengen from T2, you can connect without ever having to clear passport control! Pretty cool actually...a bit like the sterile arrivals train servicing the High E gates at MIA when the remote FIS facility is not operating. But without the ITI/TWOV benefit, of course.)

Last edited by ESpen36; Mar 20, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.