Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[award to Asia] "Try and call back tomorrow to see if seats have opened up."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[award to Asia] "Try and call back tomorrow to see if seats have opened up."

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 1:00 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There are several posts reporting that an AA agent refused to book a JL domestic flight more than 6 months in advance of the flight, citing a Japanese government regulation. The agent subsequently admitted he or she was in error because the regulation does not apply to international itineraries that happen to include JL domestic flights. This has happened for both oneworld awards and all-partner awards.
Yes, in that case the agents were wrong
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
In any case, you can sign up a BA FF membership and use BA award booking engine to search for the availability - this would be more reliable than use JL's own because JL's may make more awards available for its own members while what BA sees should match with what AA sees.
Thank you, I have a British Airways Exec Club account already, but pardon the noobie q...

Despite BA and AA being partnered, my understanding was that my BA/Avios rewards card have THEIR own award seats reserved with CX/JL and my AA rewards have THEIR own seats reserved with CX/JL as their fees/programs differ and they are totally different Rewards programs despite being part of the same 'group.' Is this not the case?

So basically, if I find a reward seat under the BA EC website, can I call AAdvantage (different reward program) and book that same seat? Thanks much.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by midtownj
Despite BA and AA being partnered, my understanding was that my BA/Avios rewards card have THEIR own award seats reserved with CX/JL and my AA rewards have THEIR own seats reserved with CX/JL as their fees/programs differ and they are totally different Rewards programs despite being part of the same 'group.' Is this not the case?
definitely not the case
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by midtownj
Thank you, I have a British Airways Exec Club account already, but pardon the noobie q...

So basically, if I find a reward seat under the BA EC website, can I call AAdvantage (different reward program) and book that same seat? Thanks much.
May be a little bit more explanation would help you understand better than the snappy reply someone just posted.

The inventory of award seats available to the PARTNERS is identical, from the SAME pool. i.e. whatever BA has available to it from CX/JL, is the same, identical seats available to AA from CX/JL. There is no such "their own seat" concept as you wrongly guess. You can think of it as a pie that CX/JL offer up to their partners and every partner has equal access to the same pie. The opposite is true - i.e. AA offers a pie to all AA's partners who all have equal access to AA's pie.

Of course, how to redeem the seats would be based on the individual program rules of which you use to redeem. This has nothing to do with the inventory availability.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

makes perfect sense, thank you!
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Happy
That is good to know that JL does not operate the way CX does.
CX doesn't operate that way either at least for regular member redemptions. It's part of the oneworld agreement that they don't do that.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
There are several posts reporting that an AA agent refused to book a JL domestic flight more than 6 months in advance of the flight, citing a Japanese government regulation. The agent subsequently admitted he or she was in error because the regulation does not apply to international itineraries that happen to include JL domestic flights. This has happened for both oneworld awards and all-partner awards.
I just booked 2 award tickets on JL for January 2013 with no issues so yes, it must have been an error on that agent's part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.