Wiki Posts
Search

Missed connection, lost baggage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAir
Missed connection, lost baggage

Left BOS for LHR, but a woman was inebriated and the flight attendants were aware but did nothing until we were on the runway ready for takeoff and she became sick. Return to gate, pulled her luggage, and missed the connection to Venice (90 minutes). AA assured us that someone would assist once we deplaned. Never happened. We had to go from T3 to T5 to get new itinerary from BA to Munich, then to T1. Arrived Venice, all bags are lost, computers are down, no one offers anything.

The gate agent should have done something; her behavior was quite obvious that she had, she admitted " 5 glasses of wine in 30 minutes".

Veteran flyers, my clothes are 2 days old, I am exhausted, and feel AA should
have better dealt with the situation, and with support at the gate when we
arrived.
Thanks for suggestions!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
File your lost baggage claim with the carrier who transported you from Munich to Venice, and a separate letter of complaint to AA who may offer some miles.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Which airline did you fly into VCE with ? as they would be your initial point of contact and your post is not 100% clear with reference to MUC?

did you file a report with the airline and receive a reference number ( with BA at least they would have authorised you to spend money on essentials) although with the computers down this would be more awkward

I would buy some stuff , keep your receipts and send them to the airline ( do you also have travel insurance)

You could try phoning AA with your bag tag numbers to find out where the cases are.

Good luck and hope your luggage arrives soon.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 11, 2012, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by adeleswart
Left BOS for LHR, but a woman was inebriated and the flight attendants were aware but did nothing until we were on the runway ready for takeoff and she became sick. Return to gate, pulled her luggage, and missed the connection to Venice (90 minutes). AA assured us that someone would assist once we deplaned. Never happened. We had to go from T3 to T5 to get new itinerary from BA to Munich, then to T1. Arrived Venice, all bags are lost, computers are down, no one offers anything.

The gate agent should have done something; her behavior was quite obvious that she had, she admitted " 5 glasses of wine in 30 minutes".

Veteran flyers, my clothes are 2 days old, I am exhausted, and feel AA should
have better dealt with the situation, and with support at the gate when we
arrived.
Thanks for suggestions!
Why are you sitting around in smelly old clothes? Even if the computers were down, they should have told you to just go and buy what you needed and submit it for reimbursement later. If they did not, then you should call to make sure how much you can spend, and then spend every last penny.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...horEvent=false

Edit: I guess the MUC-VCE carrier wasn't AA, was probably airberlin and maybe the luggage just didn't get interlined. You should call the MUC-VCE carrier and AA and find out who's responsible.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83

Edit: I guess the MUC-VCE carrier wasn't AA, was probably airberlin and maybe the luggage just didn't get interlined. You should call the MUC-VCE carrier and AA and find out who's responsible.
There's no need to call. By IATA convention, the carrier of the passenger on the last segment to destination or stopover is responsible for luggage tracking, delivery, or reimbursement.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA, AA, CO
And, since it's a EU flight, the compensation might be better anyway?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:08 pm

she admitted " 5 glasses of wine in 30 minutes".
I guess she really wanted to take advantage of her Admiral's Club day pass!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There's no need to call. By IATA convention, the carrier of the passenger on the last segment to destination or stopover is responsible for luggage tracking, delivery, or reimbursement.
That may be, but common sense can sometimes help just a bit. Given that the distinct likelihood is that the delay into LHR caused the bags to misconnect and given that OP had to organize his own onward itinerary, it's more than likely that the bags are sitting at AA in LHR waiting for someone to put 2 and 2 together and get them to VCE.

While the legal duty may fall on the inbound VCE carrier, not picking up the phone and calling AA is just silly. They can track the bags with the claim #'s and likely tell you where they are. If you tell them where you are, you ought to have them in a few hours.

Sitting back on your heels waiting for someone else to take responsibility will be a good exercise in futility.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
This is definitely a case where you should talk to both the carrier into VCE and AA.

I once had problems (i actually got off a plane minutes before takeoff and rerouted to avoid a likely misconnect) resulting in a delayed bag into LHR. Trouble was the next morning I was on the Eurostar. So I made arrangements with AA at LHR to pick up my bag at LHR rather than waiting for them to get around to bringing it to me. It was a pain; I had to clear employee security to go into the customs area to get the bag, but all worked out and I didn't spend the whole trip chasing my bag.

Get information and try to talk to the local office where the bag was last seen.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Here is a link to AA's luggage tracking Website. You will need the file locator # they give you when you call. These bags are almost certainly at LHR waiting for somebody to contact AA.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...ge/delayed.jsp
Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Veteran flyers, my clothes are 2 days old,
Most of mine are 5 years old. Seriously, you don't pack an extra set of clothes in your carry-on for international flights?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, USAir
missed connection, lost luggage

Yes, all three had extras garments and outerwear in one caryon. They are also "tired".

We travelled with AA to LHR, Luftasna to Munich and also to VCE.

Thank you all for suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.