Old Dec 24, 2012, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This thread is for discussing the announcement of MCE only, and not for the discussion of the practical impacts, seating, eligibility or rollout.

For the general discussion concerning the rollout, seat eligibility and the like, see this thread: Main Cabin Extra / MCE in service; questions, eligibility (consolidated).
Links to aircraft specific discussions surrounding seating strategies can also be found at that link and questions should not be posted here.
Print Wikipost

Main Cabin Extra / MCE Announcement Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
^ to this news.
Glad to see this won't be a differentiated class, and comp upgrades to MCEx is nice.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Who has access to Main Cabin Extra?

All AAdvantage Executive Platinum, all AAdvantage Platinum, and all full-fare Economy Class customers have complimentary access. As an added benefit, up to eight of their companions traveling in the same reservation will have the same complimentary access.

To celebrate the launch of Main Cabin Extra, AAdvantage Gold members and eight of their companions traveling in the same reservation will also receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra at time of booking for seats reserved through Dec. 31, 2013.

Customers with complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra can select a seat at the time of booking through check-in. As they do today, American will continue to reserve a portion of Main Cabin Extra seats and other desirable seats - namely, Preferred Seats - in the Main Cabin exclusively for all AAdvantage elite customers.

For customers who wish to purchase Main Cabin Extra, prices will range between $8 and $108 per segment, depending on the length of the flight. Seats are available for purchase at booking, check-in or anytime in between.

Main Cabin Extra is not an upgradeable product. Upgrades will continue to operate as normal into First/Business class from all of the Main Cabin.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:42 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
This is fantastic news for those times we're stuck in coach and can't get an exit row. (I was an elite with UA for many years, and to this day miss always sitting in Econ+.)
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:47 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
We need an OFFICIAL FT abbreviation.

I nominate "Y+"

After nominations are in, we may need a poll to decide.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by alhcfp
We need an OFFICIAL FT abbreviation.

I nominate "Y+"

After nominations are in, we may need a poll to decide.
Most of the other forums have Y+, but regular economy gets downgraded to Y- from what I've seen.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Sounds pretty good. I would assume that GLDs will only be able to choose Main Cabin Extra at check in, after 12/31/2013, a la Mileage Plus. Nevertheless, if they retain two checked bags and Priority AAccess for us lowly GLDs, I'm still happy as a clam.

Last edited by dat4life; Mar 1, 2012 at 9:15 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (1P)
Great news! One more motivation to change boat from UA ^
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by harrison1186
Sounds pretty good. I would assume that GLDs will only be able to choose Main Cabin Extra at check in, after 12/31/2012, a la Mileage Plus. Nevertheless, if they retain two checked bags and Priority AAccess for us lowly GLDs, I'm still happy as a clam.
I think it says Dec. 2013..

Also, will the current 737's get the refit?? I think they will.. But great news!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
How are they making the space?

Has anyone seen anything about whether this comes at the expense of, say, a row of seats on a 738 or is there some other pushing and shoving to be done to make space for it?

How many rows will get the space? Is it like UA and 10 rows on a narrow body?

And I assume it's never coming to the MD80's?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
In the past I have ranted on FT about the fact that AA should reserve some better seats for Elites only so that they cannot be taken by no status passengers.

Looks like they answered the call (probably not because of me):

We will reserve a portion of Main Cabin Extra seats exclusively for our elite members who can select these seating options at the time of booking up until check-in.
Thank you AA. ^^
Old Mar 1, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by harrison1186
Sounds pretty good. I would assume that GLDs will only be able to choose Main Cabin Extra at check in, after 12/31/2012, a la Mileage Plus. Nevertheless, if they retain two checked bags and Priority AAccess for us lowly GLDs, I'm still happy as a clam.
It sounds like GLD may have to pay for Y+ after 12/31/2012.

Main Cabin Extra seats will be complimentary to AAdvantage Executive Platinum® and AAdvantage Platinum® members as well as customers who have purchased a full-fare economy class ticket. To celebrate the launch of this new seating product, AAdvantage Gold® members will also have complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats through December 31, 2013.

Last edited by ty97; Mar 1, 2012 at 9:00 am Reason: changed 'will' to 'may'
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Most interesting. It will be an adventure figuring out what costs what for use lowly GOLD persons.

When the time comes, will I pay to be in Y+. Sure. I'm a sucker for anything that makes me feel closer to the 1%,
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, AY Lumo, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by truthknown
All AAdvantage Executive Platinum, all AAdvantage Platinum, and all full-fare Economy Class customers have complimentary access. As an added benefit, up to eight of their companions traveling in the same reservation will have the same complimentary access.
No love for OW elites I hope they still leave a few exit row seats to us.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by bernardd
How are they making the space?

Has anyone seen anything about whether this comes at the expense of, say, a row of seats on a 738 or is there some other pushing and shoving to be done to make space for it?

How many rows will get the space? Is it like UA and 10 rows on a narrow body?

And I assume it's never coming to the MD80's?
This is the real question - will it come at the expense of a row of Y seats, or a row of F seats? On the UA 319/320 planes, there are less F seats and reduced upgrade chances. IIRC, DL is also reducing F seats on some planes. If AA does that, it will impact upgrades.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:09 am

Meh...I see this as a feature that will be comp for GLD/PLT for the moment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.