Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA files for SFO-DCA, AA's response?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
UA files for SFO-DCA, AA's response?

United Airlines has filed for a single daily SFO-DCA frequency as a result of their parameter exemption. AA was also granted slots today, I believe.

My prediction?

AA pulls LAX-IAD (and close the IAD AC) and replaces it with an LAX-DCA 738 frequency.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:38 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demkr
United Airlines has filed for a single daily SFO-DCA frequency as a result of their parameter exemption. AA was also granted slots today, I believe.

My prediction?

AA pulls LAX-IAD (and close the IAD AC) and replaces it with an LAX-DCA 738 frequency.

AA Will very likely apply for a single LAX-DCA-LAX beyond perimeter route and that will not come at the expense of the entire IAD operation.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP

My prediction?

Seriously? You have got to be kidding.

Chances are close to 100% AA will apply for LAXDCA, but it wont come at the expense of an LAXIAD flight nor the IAD AC. Are you being serious or doing this for laughs?

LAXDCA will nicely compliment LAXIAD. The real question is if AA just asks for one slot, or if it will ask for two daily LAXDCA flights instead. Or maybe AA might ask for AUSDCA, too.

Nobody was awarded anything. UA, US, DL and AA can compete for four slot pairs, with no carrier getting more than two pairs.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

My prediction?

Of course UA filed for a flight from their major hub that doesn't currently have DCA service (on any airline) when it became available for the first time. Why would AA respond specifically to a new flight between two non-AA hubs? And why would AA pull LAX-IAD in response to UA's requesting SFO-DCA?

Now, I too expect AA to apply for LAX-DCA (LAX being AA's only hub outside the DCA perimeter), though they'll have a slightly tougher case given that there's already an LAX-DCA flight (on AS). If AA is awarded LAX-DCA, then LAX-IAD might be short-lived.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

My prediction?

In other news:

UA have added one more olive to the salads. What will AA's response be?

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ashill

Now, I too expect AA to apply for LAX-DCA (LAX being AA's only hub outside the DCA perimeter), though they'll have a slightly tougher case given that there's already an LAX-DCA flight (on AS). If AA is awarded LAX-DCA, then LAX-IAD might be short-lived.
LAXIAD will not be short-live whatsoever. It's safe, it's staying and it's where a lot of the defense/aerospace traffic between the two areas travels.

AA won't have a tough case for the slot at all. There are four slots. They can only go to four airlines. All three of the other airlines already have beyond perimeter slots (US to LAS and PHX; UA to DEN; DL to SLC), which makes AA being awarded the slot a virtual guarantee. And adding competition to the route does not destroy its case, just like it helped UA's case in being awarded DENDCA to compete with Frontier.

VX, B6, etc. are competing from a separate slot pool.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:07 pm

I'd love to see AA flying DCA/IAD-LAS, though I know that's a pipe dream. I guess DCA-LAX will have to do
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:40 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Or maybe AA might ask for AUSDCA, too.
Very funny! How many flights does AA have left that don't touch a cornerstone? RDU-LHR, BOS-LHR and a few services to the islands from SJU? Could AA use DCA slots for services to LHR? If not I assume the only cornerstone outside the perimeter is LAX so that's the only option under the present regime.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
In other news:

UA have added one more olive to the salads. What will AA's response be?

Cheers.
ROTFLMAO ^^^
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
Very funny! How many flights does AA have left that don't touch a cornerstone? RDU-LHR, BOS-LHR and a few services to the islands from SJU? Could AA use DCA slots for services to LHR? If not I assume the only cornerstone outside the perimeter is LAX so that's the only option under the present regime.
Not funny at all. Whoever gets AUSDCA will have a monopoly on the route. AA doesn't shy away from profitable, point-to-point flying that fills a profitable niche, like FLLPAP, STLDCA and SJUCCS. If you were an airline and offered a guaranteed monopoly between Reagan and the capital of the second most populated State, you're telling me it makes no sense? I don't think so.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Whoever gets AUSDCA will have a monopoly on the route. AA doesn't shy away from profitable, point-to-point flying that fills a profitable niche, like FLLPAP, STLDCA and SJUCCS. If you were an airline and offered a guaranteed monopoly between Reagan and the capital of the second most populated State, you're telling me it makes no sense? I don't think so.
Using that logic you'd have to endorse DCA-SMF.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My prediction?

Yes, AA will apply (and receive) one daily DCA-LAX frequency and will then cancel all three daily IAD-LAX flights and close the Admirals Club. Leaving the passengers on the five daily IAD-DFW and two daily IAD-MIA flights with no Admirals Club. Uh-huh.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Well, any perimeter exemptions granted are supposed to provide "domestic network benefits" in areas outside the 1250 mile perimeter. AA has numerous destinations out of LAX that will help it to meet that requirement. The only destinations with N/S AA service from AUS are ORD, DFW, and LAX. I can't imagine the argument that an AUS flight would provide substantial "network benefits."
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
Using that logic you'd have to endorse DCA-SMF.
The logic extends past that. SMF is not an elite-heavy spoke with an Admiral's Club. AUS is.

Also, AUSDCA is of considerably shorter stage length.

I don't expect AA to apply for AUSDCA, but it wouldn't shock me. B6 or WN will apply, though.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Daily O&D between BWI/DCA/IAD and SMF totals about 500 passengers - hardly enough to justify any nonstops. AUS, on the other hand, has 75% more daily O&D with 875 daily passengers from BWI/DCA/IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.