FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA950 flying germ warfare lab. My worst nightmare. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1318573-aa950-flying-germ-warfare-lab-my-worst-nightmare.html)

iadisgreat Feb 27, 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by pdquick (Post 18092533)
Your doctor gave you Tamiflu because you thought the person next to you looked sick?

No wonder so much flu is now resistant to Tamiflu.

This was also my only concern reading the OP. The rest seems like a standard day of living in a global society.

DillMan Feb 27, 2012 4:20 pm

While I almost feel bad potentially shattering the OP's blissful ignorance as I'm quite sensitive to sanitation and germs myself (although nowhere near the extent of the OP), I 'm going to go ahead and point out anyway that....

....your risk of getting sick from a completely healthy local GRU resident carrying some potent germ he's become completely immune to due to infections throughout his life is exponentially higher than your risk of getting sick from some JFK native dying from an American flu next to you.

Regardless of how much you travel every locality has its own bugs, even the good ole U S of A. So the point is, you never know who has a bug that will affect you, who is contagious but not yet sick, and who is visibly sick but not contagious.

AA_EXP09 Feb 27, 2012 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by 869 (Post 18091212)
In general, I believe AA may deny you flying if an obvious medical condition worries agent that you may cause need for diversion or something. I couldn't stand up straight due to back injury.

But they would be liable for compensation.
It's not that the pax tried to make him/herself sick just to not fly, and it is the airline's choice not to fly them.

siankaan1 Feb 27, 2012 6:10 pm

AA950 flying germ warfare lab. My worst nightmare.

So that's where Sadaam Hussein hid his WMD!

Science Goy Feb 27, 2012 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 (Post 18093262)
But they would be liable for compensation.
It's not that the pax tried to make him/herself sick just to not fly, and it is the airline's choice not to fly them.

True, but the airline has the explicit right to deny boarding to sick passengers, without giving compensation. Just as they're allowed to deny boarding to any passenger who refuses to undergo security screening. Just because it's at their discretion doesn't mean they're wrong to do so, or owe anything to a passenger who chooses to break the rules of their ticket by trying to fly while ill.

AndyAA Feb 27, 2012 6:30 pm

Now, only imagine if the OP was involuntarly downgraded and had to sit next to said sick pax.

mctrees02 Feb 27, 2012 6:39 pm

More people should've played in the dirt as kids. It's amazing how much of a difference it can make for your immune system when you are an adult.

Princess1 Feb 27, 2012 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 18093305)
True, but the airline has the explicit right to deny boarding to sick passengers, without giving compensation. Just as they're allowed to deny boarding to any passenger who refuses to undergo security screening. Just because it's at their discretion doesn't mean they're wrong to do so, or owe anything to a passenger who chooses to break the rules of their ticket by trying to fly while ill.

Oh, that I could do that to sick students! I've had students get close to tell me they just vomited, sneeze on papers as they turn them in, sit and infect the air with coughing, It is not my choice whether they stay or go, and if they are in danger of losing credit due to absences they usually refuse to leave.

I keep the fan on, Clorox the surfaces, and constant wash my hands.

glx Feb 27, 2012 6:55 pm

I've never felt so awkward reading a post in my life. Wow, OP - so because the guy was obviously sick he was clearly WORSE than most people who are in their highest contagion period BEFORE they show symptoms?

I don't think the FA was obligated to deal with your mental issues. Sorry.

glx Feb 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by pdquick (Post 18092533)
Your doctor gave you Tamiflu because you thought the person next to you looked sick?

No wonder so much flu is now resistant to Tamiflu.

This. I can't believe that people are so careless. I'd blame his doctor but I'm sure that he'd shop it around to any doctor he could find until one gave it to him.

Madison Guy Feb 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Do you have a reference in the CoC for this statement? AA can refuse to accept a PAX for transport for certain medical conditions as referenced here, but I don't see where it is against "the rules of their ticket" for a PAX to try.... ;)

Science Goy Feb 27, 2012 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Madison Guy (Post 18093588)
AA can refuse to accept a PAX for transport for certain medical conditions as referenced here, but I don't see where it is against "the rules of their ticket" for a PAX to try.... ;)

I'd say the conditions for "acceptance of passengers" could be construed as rules. If a passenger showed up falling-down drunk for their flight (and was refused boarding by the same quoted section), few would argue that that passenger was in compliance with the CoC.

Life_Platinum Feb 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Sounds to me that your passenger friend might been having an allergic attack to something on the 777. No wonder you did not become ill!!!

UrbaneGent Feb 27, 2012 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by phil_flyer (Post 18090179)
And it's not only inconsiderate or downright rude, it's a life-threatening disease to some. So next time, stay home and skip the trip.

As for me, I've learned my lesson. Two isolation facemasks are now added to my travel kit. They don't pack much bulk and just might save me next time.

Dearest phil_flyer,

I loved this post. The good thing is the you were able to SEE what you were dealing with. An airplane is a cesspool of bacteria and viruses. I used to get eye infections all the time, I couldn't understand why. I read an article on the WSJ about water on airplanes:
The results of our water-quality snapshot: a long list of microscopic life you don’t want to drink, from Salmonella and Staphylococcus to tiny insect eggs. Worse, contamination was the rule, not the exception: Almost all of the bacteria levels were tens, sometimes hundreds, of times above U.S. government limits. “This water is not potable by any means,” says Donald Hendrickson, the director of Hoosier Microbiology Laboratories in Muncie, Ind., which tested our samples
On one flight, I saw a f/a pouring hot water on the towels...which I would use to wipe my FACE, eyes, hands, and neck. The water used is warm, not boiling hot to kill germs. I immediately stopped using the towels -

I never got an eye infection again.

UG

MavSeven Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 18091850)
To stick up for a fellow germophobe, I have quite frankly had enough of the constant sniffing, coughing, snorting, and downright rude behavior from other pax.

He even offered to downgrade to Y and was denied? FA should have been more flexible also.

It's the sick pax that should be the ones wearing masks.

People get sick. It's a fact of life. Your irrational fear of becoming ill is just that: irrational.

There's nothing "rude" about nature. Suck it up or pay the change fee.

True, but the airline has the explicit right to deny boarding to sick passengers, without giving compensation.

Absolutely, positively, not true at all. Not for American or EU carriers, anyways. Laws may vary by country.