Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage Elite Card Use?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2014 SPG Plat, 2013 Marriott Plat, 2011 AA EXP->PLT->GLD, 1MM, 2013 Delta Gold
AAdvantage Elite Card Use?

This isn't particular to AA but I'm posting here because it's the card I most recently received in the mail.

Why do the frequent flyer programs continue to send the physical elite card? I have never used one and don't see any reason I'd ever use it as long as I have my FF number. When do you use your card?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
For me, I can think of 3 occasions when using the card

1) to request my free drink, snack for EXP when traveling on coach.
2) when approaching a counter to request stand by on earlier flight

This one is somewhat more related to me, but I bet there are others that share this problem.
3) check in kiosk, I happen to have 2 last name and sometimes the kiosk ask for last name, which sometimes is together, other time is separate. It is simpler for me to use the card, as I have no way on knowing how is it that AA ticketed my bp.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Citi AA Elite, HH GLD, Grand Wailea Elite
Flash it to the FA when ordering a cocktail in Y instead of a verbal DYKWIA?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Exp/1M, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Pre Plat
sometimes you need it to get into one world lounges (i needed it for entry in the royal jordanian back in the day....).
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:21 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by axlekb
This isn't particular to AA but I'm posting here because it's the card I most recently received in the mail.

Why do the frequent flyer programs continue to send the physical elite card? I have never used one and don't see any reason I'd ever use it as long as I have my FF number. When do you use your card?
Since you posted this in the AA forum, perhaps we can first take a stab at "when do you need/use your AAdvantage card?" question. If you'd like to broaden the conversation to other airline programs, please let the moderators know, and we can move this over to TravelBuzz. Thanks! /Moderator

As for me, I carry my EXP card for two purposes: 1) to show FAs on my Eagle flights to get my snack/drink, 2) lounge access. (I normally don't have to show my card for AA or oneworld carrier lounges; however, I have needed it to gain access to third-party contract lounges that operate on behalf of oneworld airlines.)

Edit to add: One thing I forgot... 3) I've occasionally flashed my EXP card to gain access to priority TSA lines when I'm not flying AA.

Last edited by JY1024; Feb 25, 2012 at 10:20 pm
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I needed to show the card to an AS ticket agent recently to avoid being charged baggage fees for two checked bags.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by axlekb
I keep my card handy in my travel wallet, and use it to swipe at the ticketing kiosk.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:19 pm

It comes in handy if you lose your keys while traveling and need to pop the lock on the back door. ^
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I normally keep my card with me to flash to the contract employees who are posted near the entrances to the LAX and JFK priority check-in areas. They seem to think I'm one of the riff-raff (young, t-shirt, jeans... yet somehow, an EXP).

If your upgrade hasn't cleared yet (or you might do standby and wind up in coach), keeping your EXP card handy to show the FA for the snack/drink benefit is a good strategy.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:59 am

Mainly use mine in Europe.

They have those master switches in Hotels that require you to insert a room key to have the electricity running.

I insert my AA card instead - that way the heat or air con works when I am not in the hotel room.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I forgot about this one

Originally Posted by nubudu

They have those master switches in Hotels that require you to insert a room key to have the electricity running.

I insert my AA card instead - that way the heat or air con works when I am not in the hotel room.
Yes, those, energy saver switches where you put the room card key to keep the lights and ac going.

+1^
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Bingo!

Originally Posted by terminator33
I needed to show the card to an AS ticket agent recently to avoid being charged baggage fees for two checked bags.
My most typical use.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by BLUESCRAZYGIRL
sometimes you need it to get into one world lounges (i needed it for entry in the royal jordanian back in the day....).
Occasionally, when entering BA LHR T5 F Lounge, so far never T3 F Lounge. Never RJ, CX, QF or AY, once MA
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by arollins
3) check in kiosk, I happen to have 2 last name and sometimes the kiosk ask for last name, which sometimes is together, other time is separate. It is simpler for me to use the card, as I have no way on knowing how is it that AA ticketed my bp.
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I keep my card handy in my travel wallet, and use it to swipe at the ticketing kiosk.
Is there a reason you don't just punch in your AAdvantage number to access the kiosks? I find that the quickest.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 11:17 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nubudu

+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.