CX awards with AA waitlisted - CX awards system down

Old Feb 24, 2012, 5:37 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Spoke with AA supervisor just now. They're just as frustrated as we are. No update from CX since Wednesday. They hope to get another update today. They cannot waitlist awards on BA/JL/QF etc. So we're in the same boat as yesterday, the day before etc etc.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: aa lifetime platinum, ba club, delta sky club, delta sky miles, delta sky club life,kal skypass
CX still acting strange

I just checked my res on CX

seems strange they show times on rt, but not outward.

27 Sep 2012, Thu CX883 LAX HKG 00:00 00:00 77W 0 First (Z) R Confirmed --
29 Sep 2012, Sat CX713 HKG BKK 00:00 00:00 773 0 Business (U) R Confirmed --
15 Oct 2012, Mon CX700 BKK HKG 08:20 12:05 773 0 Business (U) R Confirmed --
15 Oct 2012, Mon CX882 HKG LAX 16:25 14:35 77W 0 First (Z) R Confirme
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:59 pm

EXP CS has an 11.00 CDT update.

AA can book AAwards for CX flights that have at least one segment departing within 5 days.

Flight changes also have to be within the 5 day period.

They have to go through the help desk and if the booking doesn't clear, they keep calling back.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last evening (HK Time 02/25 about 8:45 in the morning) I was able to ticket a reservation initially placed on 2/15, extended on 2/20.
reservation has shown confirmed on CX site from 2/15 with the new Amadeus PNR. So it may make it much easier to ticket.

Agent's first words on the request of ticketing the reservation were: Oh boy, when did you make the reservation? He wanted to check with supervisor first and got the OK to ticket it. E-tickets arrived in an hour. Travel is on 03/07. So it is more than 5 days out from the date of ticketing. However, it has been a confirmed reservation by CX since 02/15, right after the weekend of the system upgrade before further bugs surfaced. It has been sheer luck that I have caught the brief window when CX's new system was able to accept request from AA automatically.

I had BA awards traveled on CX that the e-tickets issued prior to the system upgrade, were not recognized by CX Manage My Booking at all, claiming the reservation did not exist. Fortunately in another area I was able to find it and even able to OLCI. This system upgrade has been a huge mess - it is quite unexpected when it is coming from such a well-regarded airline.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 26, 2012 at 8:42 am
Old Feb 25, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by zznoname
EXP CS has an 11.00 CDT update.

AA can book AAwards for CX flights that have at least one segment departing within 5 days.

Flight changes also have to be within the 5 day period.

They have to go through the help desk and if the booking doesn't clear, they keep calling back.
+1 Systems still down... 5 Day departure date is still in place when I called at 7pm CST
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
If the five days in advance rule applies only to one segment, maybe a workaround is to make a rezzy with the flirst flight within the window then change it in a separate call?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
I don't know why, but if you have a Qantas FF number, you can log into their site and see CX (and all other OneWorld) award availability no problem. But when I called AA to book the CX flights I wanted I was told it was a no go and the systems could be down for weeks.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whatsd
I don't know why, but if you have a Qantas FF number, you can log into their site and see CX (and all other OneWorld) award availability no problem. But when I called AA to book the CX flights I wanted I was told it was a no go and the systems could be down for weeks.
Availability is not an issue here.

Have you followed the discussion on the latest situation? The problem is caused by CX system upgrade from their old reservation system to the Amadeus - ever since the system upgrade since Feb 13-14 weekend, CX has had major problems of all sorts. AA's inability to communicate with CX booking system is just a small piece of the major mess CX currently has. You can read about it on CX forum. At one point CX could not even sell revenue tickets even on its own website...
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
AA did book my CX award tickets today that were on hold. Departing 25 MAR 2012.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just spoke to AA. For new award rezzies, all CX flights in the itinerary must be within five days in order to make the rezzy through AA .
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Finally was able to ticket my flight for March 5th on February 25th. I reserved it on February 15th.

What an ordeal but at least it all worked out.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
This is ridiculous!

So let me get this straight.....I have not been able to book any CX reservations OR change existing reservations with this glitch for the last 9 days now....That is NO ACCESS to CX award tickets. Why has nobody said anything to One Worlds third largest member? And why has CX not made any public announcements?

They are converting to their new system and apparently did not spend the resources or time to think it through and get is set up correctly? An Error if you will? Or perhaps they just put their time and resources to the areas that bring in revenue...typical business practice.

What happens when we as a traveler have errors? WE PAY! We pay to change and re ticket and move around flights etc.....but now that Cathay has what I consider a major breakdown that is affecting all of us....we are told to wait? For how long? for what? For a miracle? Cathay Pacific as an airline should be embarrassed, because I always think of them as having their technology down pat....or at least I did?

As a major flyer on both AA and Cathay metal, let me just say this is not acceptable and I am waiting for an email from them apologizing and offering discount for booking mileage tickets on CX as an apology for their errors. I know I know.....I might be waiting for quite a long time however it is my belief that when we are pay pay paying for everything these days....CX should step up to the plate when they have screwed up.

IMHO.. Safe travels to all!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
CX should step up to the plate when they have screwed up.
+1. As regular readers know, I usually give the benefit of the doubt to the airline/hotel/whatever; but this is way over the line. I used to be in this (large data center type systems) business. I can see a cutover plan of part of a day, and maybe a couple of days of unexpected problems. But enough.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 6:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Called in around 7:45 AM EST and they said try calling back in this afternoon after HQ opens. Still the same message about traveling in the next 5 days.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: AA 1MM, AF Plat, VS Gold, Hyatt Glob, Sixt Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NYCtraveler
So let me get this straight.....I have not been able to book any CX reservations OR change existing reservations with this glitch for the last 9 days now....That is NO ACCESS to CX award tickets. Why has nobody said anything to One Worlds third largest member? And why has CX not made any public announcements?

They are converting to their new system and apparently did not spend the resources or time to think it through and get is set up correctly? An Error if you will? Or perhaps they just put their time and resources to the areas that bring in revenue...typical business practice.

What happens when we as a traveler have errors? WE PAY! We pay to change and re ticket and move around flights etc.....but now that Cathay has what I consider a major breakdown that is affecting all of us....we are told to wait? For how long? for what? For a miracle? Cathay Pacific as an airline should be embarrassed, because I always think of them as having their technology down pat....or at least I did?

As a major flyer on both AA and Cathay metal, let me just say this is not acceptable and I am waiting for an email from them apologizing and offering discount for booking mileage tickets on CX as an apology for their errors. I know I know.....I might be waiting for quite a long time however it is my belief that when we are pay pay paying for everything these days....CX should step up to the plate when they have screwed up.

IMHO.. Safe travels to all!

YUP. It is absurd. I've been calling 2x a day for the past 8 days to and keep getting the same message - we know nothing and CX is working on a fix. Do any IT folks here have any more sympathy for CX than the rest of us? What on earth could take CX's IT folks so long to fix?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.