Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage [losing value or] Is it just me?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
AAdvantage [losing value or] Is it just me?

Is it just me or has the AAvantage program been losing value over the last few years.

Upgrade from Economy to Business on an international flight and they stick you with $350 each way.

The credit card miles no longer count toward million mile status. I am sitting at 1,800,000 miles and was hoping to hit the magic 2 mill in the next 18 months, now it will take longer.

If I did not live in Dallas, I would have bolted to Star Alliance long ago.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jsintexas
Is it just me or has the AAvantage program been losing value over the last few years.
Losing value for you, gaining value for those who are willing to pay $350 for upgrades and achieve million-mile status through flying alone. Which type of customer do you think brings more revenue to AA?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:48 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Perception of value with the AAdvantage program can depend on one's elite status. I find the value is still there compared to the competition, particularly in terms of comped domestic upgrades, systemwides, and award availability. The higher the elite status, the better the benefits are.

Do you hold elite status with AA? If you're moving to UA, there's been a lot of changes over there (and credit card miles don't count towards lifetime status there--never have).

What benefits, exactly, do you see by jumping to Star Alliance?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What would it cost to just buy the cabin class you actually wish to fly in? Can you upgrade all fare inventory class on the competition? Can you use miles from any source to make Million Miler status with the competition? And how many million miles do you have on UA now, anyway?

Upgrade from Economy to Business on an international flight and they stick you with $350 each way.

The credit card miles no longer count toward million mile status. I am sitting at 1,800,000 miles and was hoping to hit the magic 2 mill in the next 18 months, now it will take longer.

Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by JNB280
Come to think of it, it appears no other person has noticed this. You are also the first to make idle threats about leaving for another alliance, were it not for the fact that you live in XXX. Thank you for your contribution.
^^^ + <3
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Op - have you checked out the copays on United?

http://www.united.com/ual/asset/MUA_...after_6_15.pdf

And while you are at it, check their million miler program. It might be tough for you starting all over.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club

It's great for us... the EXPs. Free SWUs around the world on AA metal. (Although they could do with a few more international routes).
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Do you hold elite status with AA?
OP is at least lifetime GLD.

I know a lot of UA 1Ks who complain about not being able to use their SWUs on the cheapest fares. That's a big benefit in using AAdvantage in my opinion.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, rif-raf on most others; MBTA "valued customer"
Have you considered Delta, home of the 80k Y Domestic Award and 300k Transatlantic J award?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I know a lot of UA 1Ks who complain about not being able to use their SWUs on the cheapest fares.
I'm one of those. I gave away seven of my UA systemwides last year to friends with international travel booked and used the remaining two on a domestic itinerary. I refuse to buy up on international in an attempt to use them. There's even a thread on the UA forum about those who have bought up to a higher fare and then not cleared (and no refund of the fare difference if you don't). I don't have a single mile booked on UA this year solely due to reductions in benefit in the 1MM program there. It's become pretty worthless to me as a UA 1MMer.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EX PLT, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Thanks for the info.

I guess every airline has upped the Co-Pays

I have about 800K on UA mostly from when I lived in Chicago.

I have been a Platinum on AA for the last 20 years.

Some of my clients that cover my travel push me to the lowest fare and that keeps me from hitting the 100K each year on AA.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:55 pm

Thanks for the info.

I guess every airline has upped the Co-Pays

I have about 800K on UA mostly from when I lived in Chicago.

I have been a Platinum on AA for the last 20 years.

Some of my clients that cover my travel push me to the lowest fare and that keeps me from hitting the 100K each year on AA.
Depending on how close you are to 100K, you can always do a MR.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:00 pm

Yup, its just you.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by Ritz
Yup, its just you.
Well put
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I'd say it's lost some value, but compared to other programs it has loss less - still the most superior program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.