Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency Landing at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Emergency Landing at LAX

I was at the AC in LAX this morning at 9:30a or so when I noticed a group of fire trucks and police vehicles approaching (in-between TB and T4). They followed in what I believe was a 737 to gate 47. As I went to my gate (49) I noticed a group of people pointing at and photographing the front landing gear. Heard from the pilot and some FAs that the plane took off and returned immediately for an emergency landing. Was anyone on that flight or had that experience?

I'm curious; I've never been involved in an emergency landing situation...
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rayikes
I was at the AC in LAX this morning at 9:30a or so when I noticed a group of fire trucks and police vehicles approaching (in-between TB and T4). They followed in what I believe was a 737 to gate 47. As I went to my gate (49) I noticed a group of people pointing at and photographing the front landing gear. Heard from the pilot and some FAs that the plane took off and returned immediately for an emergency landing. Was anyone on that flight or had that experience?

I'm curious; I've never been involved in an emergency landing situation...
According to this site(at least when I posted this), there was no emergency landing at LAX today. An emergency landing occurs when the pilot declares an emergency. There are other events that can cause fire and police vehicles to follow an aircraft to the gate.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
When I did ride along with the LA Fire Dept one of my stations was "Crash 80's," which is the station at LAX with the crash equipment. My recollection is that they averaged about 2 code "33's" per day, which was a response to a landing plane which had expressed some concern to Approach Control.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by gemac
According to this site(at least when I posted this), there was no emergency landing at LAX today. An emergency landing occurs when the pilot declares an emergency. There are other events that can cause fire and police vehicles to follow an aircraft to the gate.
Yeah, "emergency landing" is a wildly-misused phrase in the popular lexicon. Officially (as you say) it means the pilot has declared an emergency, there's a significant chance of injury to personnel or equipment, and the aircraft is given top priority at the airport (with other takeoffs/landings put on hold). It's an extremely rare situation.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:00 pm

Seems everytime I'm at ORD I see at least one plane followed to the ramp by firetrucks. This is usually precautionary when a plane returns to the airport after takeoff. Full of fuel, the plane lands heavy and the brakes get very hot. The firetrucks make sure there is no brake fire.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:01 pm

LiveATC.Net

http://www.liveatc.net/archive.php

Check Liveatc.net for KLAX at 1730UTC.+/-30 minutes You will need to sign up and register, to listen to the archives but that's free. Then you try downloading the ATC for KLAX. Socal app/dep used to be covered, but not any more.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WChou
Seems everytime I'm at ORD I see at least one plane followed to the ramp by firetrucks. This is usually precautionary when a plane returns to the airport after takeoff. Full of fuel, the plane lands heavy and the brakes get very hot. The firetrucks make sure there is no brake fire.
As detailed elsewhere I once had a flight return to the origin airport, due to wing damage (as it turned out) and we had emergency vehicles waiting etc. Only we weren't heavy/full of fuel because I remember they actually told us they were circling/re-routing a bit to dump it first. (Apparently it's dangerous to land full of fuel??)

But, that was over an ocean, so you've now got me thinking what happens over the middle of the U.S.? (Expert I presume going back to LAX they'd dump some fuel first over the Pacific?)

I'm no expert though, obviously... I just know what happened on my flight.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
p.s. I've had fire trucks follow my plane out to before take-off.... but then that was for the traditional pilot's last flight (pre-retirement)... they spray the plane. Kinda fun
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by bostonoski
Apparently it's dangerous to land full of fuel??
Apart from danger of fire in the event of a crash, the more common concern is the stress on the landing gear and the brakes when the plane lands heavy.

But, that was over an ocean, so you've now got me thinking what happens over the middle of the U.S.? (Expert I presume going back to LAX they'd dump some fuel first over the Pacific?)
It's quite common to dump fuel over land. It dissipates at around 10K feet IIRC.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:11 pm

As detailed elsewhere I once had a flight return to the origin airport, due to wing damage (as it turned out) and we had emergency vehicles waiting etc. Only we weren't heavy/full of fuel because I remember they actually told us they were circling/re-routing a bit to dump it first. (Apparently it's dangerous to land full of fuel??)

I'm no expert though, obviously... I just know what happened on my flight.
Depends on the plane and type of emergency. If the matter is serious but does not require an immediate landing, the flight crew may elect to get rid of as much fuel as possible. The major concern is a fire should the landing not go as planned. If an immediate return is required, the plane will get set down ASAP. Overweight landings are taken into account in the design of the plane.

Usually narrowbodies do not have a way to dump fuel. Their only way to get rid of fuel is to burn it off. The B6 A320 that landed at LAX with the twisted nose gear and your experience are good examples. Granted I'm not an expert either. Most of what I know is learned from my flight instructor was is a former Skywest first officer.

If a plane needs to dump fuel, it can be over land. The fuel vaporizes before it hits the ground. Although a recent AA 772 fuel dump near DFW led to complaints of fuel covering nearby homes.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have not been in a situation like this, but my wife who flies less than me has.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:26 pm

I was on an Emergency Landing a few years ago. It is a terrifying experience caused by an electrical malfunction which left the pilots with very little functional data. The airport is shut down, no planes on taxiway or anywhere near the runways. Lots of fire trunks there instead. We burned off nearly all fuel before landing.

Pilot landed the 777 pretty hard and some overhead bins popped open. That was it.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
Pilot landed the 777 pretty hard and some overhead bins popped open. That was it.
In flyertalk tradition: how many miles did that net you?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
Lots of fire trunks there instead.
That would be the mastadons at the Bedrock Airport that the Flintstones also fly out of?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:01 pm

I'm under the impression that ambulance/fire trucks wait at either end of the runway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.