Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

HVCAA Promo (targeted) Double Miles/EXP / Executive Platinum for 25,000 base miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HVCAA Promo (targeted) Double Miles/EXP / Executive Platinum for 25,000 base miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 4:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
IMO, that doesn't matter, AA IT has been loose enough with prior promos it's not a bad idea to sign up, because one might benefit from their oversights. I know of hundreds of thousands of bonus miles that members and others who were technically ineligible for various reasons have gained with this strategy or preemptively signing up for bonuses they might gain from. As bostonoski says...

Originally Posted by bostonoski
Worst case? No harm no foul.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 13, 2012 at 9:46 am Reason: correct quotation
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kwysocki
First, you can earn double American Airlines AAdvantage® miles on all purchased, published fares for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle or the AmericanConnection® carrier between February 8, 2012 and
May 31, 2012.
Is everyone reading this to be for purchased fares (i.e not award tickets), irrespective of purchase date, for travel between Feb 8 and May 31 or do you think the purchase has to be in the time frame as well?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by LAXgt
Nope.
If you weren't in the targetted group, how will this come in handy? I'd wait a couple of weeks for an email from AAdvantage saying you were not eligible for this promo before booking any extra MR tickets.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by bostonoski
It allowed me to register, and I did not receive a 'rejection' email, I received a confirmation email.
You'll notice the rejection letters on the thread I linked came out 2 months after folks registered. I would not expect that letter today. Those folks received confirmation letters, too. Just don't be disappointed if the promo ends up not working for you when it comes time to award the miles.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Chance of gain>>>>chance of loss, even if both are pretty small.
Well, if you're someone who would achieve EXP through the usual means this year, there's a big potential downside: namely, if enrolling in this promotion only gets you 8 SWUs in total, expiring Feb. 2013 instead of Feb. 2014. It depends on when and how you plan on burning SWUs, but no way would I sign up until this particular issue is clarified.
Well, I would get EXP via this promo, assuming it somehow worked for me, and I booked flights I'd be willing to take anyway, at around 85-88k EQMs (I am currently around 56k and will be 59k once all promos finish posting). I would qualify for EXP until 2013 at that point. I would then fly the remaining 12-15k, and then qualify for EXP through 2014. I'm guessing I would get 8 SWUs through 2013 after crossing the threshold of the promo. The potential is receiving 8 more once I cross 100k. I would also be EXP for the final 12-15k miles. I would lose the stickers for those miles of course.

Again, for clarity, all of this assumes that AA would give me this promo as valid, which is far from definite, and in fact highly unlikely. For me, it may be worth a shot, since I would take the flights with or without the promo, so I would not lose in that way of booking extra flights in hopes of a potentially invalid promo.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI, if you're wondering where to sign up:

http://www.aa.com/offers

login in and register.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911
You'll notice the rejection letters on the thread I linked came out 2 months after folks registered. I would not expect that letter today. Those folks received confirmation letters, too. Just don't be disappointed if the promo ends up not working for you when it comes time to award the miles.
No worries, definitely clear on that thanks to reading the whole of the thread you lnked. Thanks.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MARRIOTT TI, HILTON GLD
I have a clarifying question (yes, I read through the whole thread, and I couldn't find the answer... but I might not have looked hard enough):

If one were to sign up for this, and it works, and one were to qualify for EXP through this program til 2/28/2013, but then also hits 100K EQM by the end of 2012, would one ALSO have EXP status earned the normal way til 2/28/2014?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by scstrider86
I have a clarifying question (yes, I read through the whole thread, and I couldn't find the answer... but I might not have looked hard enough):

If one were to sign up for this, and it works, and one were to qualify for EXP through this program til 2/28/2013, but then also hits 100K EQM by the end of 2012, would one ALSO have EXP status earned the normal way til 2/28/2014?
This is how challenges in the first six months of the year generally work. You get the status but it is only good until the following February, with the logic being that you have the rest of the current year to earn the status with BIS miles. So my answer to your question would be, Yes.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 6:54 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I never got an E-mail, but I was able to register. I'm wondering if there is a way to unregister though. Right now, I am 20k shy of EXP, which I will easily do before the end of March. I don't want EXP to be limited to 2/2013 though if prior to my reg'd, I would have had it until 2014.

UPDATE: I called up AA CS and had them remove the promo code from my account. It's a nice offer to accelerate the process further, but I'd prefer to keep my status the extra year.

Last edited by uxb; Feb 8, 2012 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by uxb
I never got an E-mail, but I was able to register. I'm wondering if there is a way to unregister though. Right now, I am 20k shy of EXP, which I will easily do before the end of March. I don't want EXP to be limited to 2/2013 though if prior to my reg'd, I would have had it until 2014.

UPDATE: I called up AA CS and had them remove the promo code from my account. It's a nice offer to accelerate the process further, but I'd prefer to keep my status the extra year.
They didn't say anything about it being valid for you or not? I mean I know they probably won't volunteer that information, but it would have been interesting to see.

I'm debating signing up for it, no flights for a couple of weeks so I have some time to think about it.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
They didn't say anything about it being valid for you or not?.
...and whether you'd get EXP to Feb 2014 if you qualified fully later in the year?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:46 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by ty97
Kudos to AA for finding ways to try and target/retain customers that they deem valuable.

I've read complaints about elite-swelling ever since I joined this forum. Every time there is a DBEQM promotion (for example) there are concerns posted about dilution of benefits. I have yet to experience that dilution.
Not sure what routes you are flying, howeer I have definitely seen the dilution effect:

AA 1342 LAX-SFO : 6th EXP on airport upgrade standby list (i.e. was told that there were 5 EXPs on the list ahead of me). Did not clear (surprise, surprise). To be fair, I only bought the ticket 2 days ahead of time.

I think some routes are very EXP heavy: (i.e. JFK-LAX)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:47 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
They didn't say anything about it being valid for you or not? I mean I know they probably won't volunteer that information, but it would have been interesting to see.

I'm debating signing up for it, no flights for a couple of weeks so I have some time to think about it.
She saw that I was registered despite not having received an E-mail, and she was able to remove it from my account. She made no mention whether I was actually eligible or not.

Originally Posted by deeruck
...and whether you'd get EXP to Feb 2014 if you qualified fully later in the year?
She didn't seem to know how to exactly answer that question, but said as per T+C I would have EXP til 2013 under this. I figured I would err on the side of caution since I didn't fly all of January for 9 mths of EXP.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

Originally Posted by deeruck
I would not trust the word of a front line employee on the first day of a targeted promo's announcement. To suggest that if you make EXP with this promo, you have lost all opportunity to earn EXP with BIS/100k EQM/Points/Segments and extend the EXP period into 2014 does not make sense to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.