Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Discontinue JFK-BUD, Add Fourth DFW-LHR Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by tom911
I was through Tegel again in November and December and, to me, it always looks like Air Berlin could use more space there. The hallways near their gates always look packed. Is there a capacity issue there that they have not been able to ramp up flights at certain times of day?
Yes, and no. They built a temporary terminal for AB a few years ago there. So they use the original terminal for some flights and their dedicated one for the majority of their other flights. They also use a lot of remote parking/bus shuttle "gates". When BER opens up in June, their operation facilities will run a lot more smoothely, and thus, make it a much better option for OW connections. And btw, their entry into OW gives the alliance a much stronger foothold into the German market (which is too heavily dominated by Star). Now there will be a viable option from Star for German fliers.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 4:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Great news for me^^ Every flight I have been on DFW-LHR has been 100% full this past year in Y-J-F. I think it will be great.

Any ideas as to when AA will load the new flight? I am hoping when they load it there might be some "C" space available so I am thinking about booking my summer travel as soon as its loaded. Seeing lots of coach fares in the sub $1400 category for summer travel now.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by truthknown
Summary: Today, American announced two schedule adjustments. AA will not reinstate its seasonal New York JFK – Budapest, Hungary (BUD), service June 14. Separately, AA will add a fourth flight between Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) and London Heathrow (LHR) on that same day.

Key Points:

• We continuously evaluate routes to ensure we are maximizing our fleet and profitability.
• AA will not reinstate its JFK-BUD flight that was scheduled to start June 14.
• The airline has taken the difficult decision to cancel this service in light of high oil prices and the weakened global economy, which has affected travel demand and the route’s performance.
• Both the JFK-BUD removal and the new DFW-LHR flights will appear in SABRE on Feb. 12.
• AA will continue to offer travel choices between the U.S. and Budapest in conjunction with oneworld partners, British Airways and Finnair, via either London Heathrow or Helsinki.
• AA is evaluating other scheduling options for the Boeing 767-300 aircraft that was assigned to JFK-BUD.
• On June 14, AA will add a fourth flight between DFW and LHR.
• The new flight will operate every day except Thursday.
• AA 26 will depart DFW at 5:15 p.m. and arrive LHR at 8:30 a.m. Return flight AA 27 will depart LHR at 10:30 a.m. and arrive DFW at 2:40 p.m.
• The route will be operated by two-class Boeing 767-300 aircraft.
NOW, if they'd only have the 4th DFW flight:
  1. Changed to a 777 whilst awaiting the Dreamliners to appear (to help out us "A inventory" addicts. Come on, we know who you are)
  2. Depart DFW @ 0800
  3. Two days a week the destination is CDG, Not LHR
  4. One day week the destination is LGW

The thing I like about AB is they are "less" hub and spoke than other Euro airlines. I've flown from Malaga & Palma to different places in No. Europe and from different places in Germany to STN. It looks to me that if they have a hub, its DUS, not PMI.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
Originally Posted by jhelssen
The DL route I am most envious of is them having that ATL to JNB flight... I am fairly certain I will never get my MIA to CPT/JNB route
that would be great.... instead of having to connect via LHR and flying on BA to JNB or CPT

A thought....though I cant see it happening anytime soon.... one of the many USA AA flights (from DFW, MIA or JFK) to GRU could have continuing service to JNB (and then turn around) - SAA currently flies GRU-JNB and EZE-JNB. GRU would be almost on the current flight path of the DL flight ATL-JNB, so not a major detour.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch

But, on the other hand, who is this:

AMR Samsung Telecomms
240 Dividend Drive, Coppell, TX
(469) 322-6000

(I found them when searching Samsung on Google Maps without being more specific about locaiton. And it's right next to DFW.)

Does AMR already have a relationship with Samsung???
I am guessing that this may have something to do with the in-flight Samsung tablets.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bbkenney
  1. Changed to a 777 whilst awaiting the Dreamliners to appear (to help out us "A inventory" addicts. Come on, we know who you are)
  2. Depart DFW @ 0800
What's wrong with TATL redeyes?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
  2. Depart DFW @ 0800
Even 8:00am is probably too late for LHR - that would be an 11:15pm arrival based on the AA26 timing which leaves little margin for delays. If you move it forwards to 7:30am you almost eliminate the chance of connecting traffic, plus where is the aircraft coming from? Are there any 763's that arrive in DFW at 5:30am? If not it's going to have to overnight in DFW, then overnight in LHR, so it's going to work (and earn!) 10 hours a day. As I said before it's hard to see how they'll get enough revenue to make it work.

Plus, who wants to arrive in CDG after midnight? Does the RER run into the City at that time of night? Would you want to take it?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I was trying to reroute, what is amazing to me is how many AAgents think that the BA fuel surcharge is a government imposed tax. That's what they say that they were told.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One day week the destination is LGW
Have you ever tried booking such a flight, when you don't know in advance that it only flies once a week? It's awful, because the booking engines don't tell you "we don't fly there that day, but we do fly there this other day" in a clean way.

It's already bad enough with flights that operate only some days of the week, but at least if it's about every other day then with "price & schedule" you have a chance to figure that out by clicking the day before or the day after. But only once a week? If you don't (from some outside source) know that that's how it operates, you'll never find it.

Besdies, there's nothing to move. It's not like it's same plane going back and forth all the time; it's in rotation with other planes going other places. Doing the split you proposed would mean not splitting this, but actulaly reducing the frequency on this fliight and adding two new flights from DFW at low frequencies. But since they couldn't use the same planes as efficinelty that way, why in the world would they do it?

People don't want a destination LHR or CDG or LGW only once a week. They want it within a day or so of their original planned travel date. So if a flight can't be every other day, no point, might as well simply make it a connection.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckpeter
I am guessing that this may have something to do with the in-flight Samsung tablets.
A-ha! So AA does already have a business relationship with Samsung (it chose them for the in-flight tablets and is promoting that). So that hints that AA might possibly be a preferred airline for Samsung if it were to fly DFW-ICN.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by bernardd
Are there any 763's that arrive in DFW at 5:30am?
The flights from deep South America (SCL, EZE) get in at 6:00 AM (when Customs at DFW opens) or shortly thereafter. Flights that get in any earlier hold at the gate with the door shut until 6 AM (or at least have for me). I suspect that means turning around for a 7:30 AM departure would be a stretch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.