Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Discontinue JFK-BUD, Add Fourth DFW-LHR Flight

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
The other day I got an email from AA about their "expanding global presence." Of course there were no routes listed. I totally get cutting JFK-BUD with Malev gone but to add ANOTHER LHR route is just too much. I would rather see them add their own destinations, rather than reply on BA. I really refuse to pay the extra BA fuel charges and LHR taxes when their are other options in Europe. I hope that does not mean I need to move more traffic to other carriers, but AA is moving the wrong way on this one.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Looking on the bright side... maybe the LHR is an interim destination until they announce their bold new post-BK international expansion strategy (that's what I'm hoping for but I'm not holding my breath).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
I keep my fingers crossed that ORD-HEL returns as planned in June. It would really be a pity if they decide to close this service too. Although, I'm still convinced that MIA-HEL would make more sense, and I wish that one comes alive at some point in the future.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Spiff
Huge

LHR is beyond overserved. AA, there are other destinations besides LHR and NRT. At least increase frequency to places like MAD, BCN, or HEL.

Very well said. AA's route network now is basically even weaker than Southwest's. They only serve major cities in US+LHR+NRT..

But after Malev's demise, I kind of expected it
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
Somebody has got to explain to me why AA isn't serving TLV directly. . .
CO, DL, US . . . . they are all there - and doing quite well . . . and BA, LX and LH have tons of one-stop feeder traffic between TLV and the US.
Even if AA has to pick up the TWA obligations or whatever - the potential has got to be enormous. Why don't they even look at it?
Sounds like there is a lot of competition and not much to drive traffic onto AA versus other airlines (no local oneworld member). TLV is far from the only market AA isn't serving directly, nor is there a practical reason it should be at the top of the list.

SYD, HKG, BER, DME, DUS, ATH, DEL, BOM, VIE, KUL, JNB, AMS, ICN, TPE, SIN, BKK, IST, AUH and even AMM would be more logical destinations for AA than TLV. Once AA finds the planes and crews to add service to most of the cities on that list, there can be serious talk of AA actually flying to TLV. Until then, it's not any more practical than the last time someone asked.

Originally Posted by kyunbit
Very well said. AA's route network now is basically even weaker than Southwest's. They only serve major cities in US+LHR+NRT..

Anybody know off-hand how UA's European destinations compares to AA's? I think they are both somewhat limited in terms of European destinations. I think I remember DL being the only one with a really extensive European network.

ever heard of Latin America?

it's a rather big place. Lots of big cities. There's actually economic growth and expansion. In pretty much all cities. Oh, and wow - AA actually is the #1 US airline on these money making routes and in these expanding economies...

does southwest go to any of these cities? nope

hmmm...

Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
... Reminds me of the comment someone made a few weeks ago about how AA might as well just get rid of all it's planes and codeshare all of it's routes with other airlines.
This is a little over the top... should just say "codeshare all of its routes with other airlines except intra-NA flights and NA-SA flights"
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by farrish11
This is a little over the top... should just say "codeshare all of its routes with other airlines except intra-NA flights and NA-SA flights"
good point. although what if they codeshared with JetBlue and Alaska for domestic flights? and lan for south america flights? oh wait, they already do!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Maybe a second lax to lhr on AA, but not another dfw. Lax-hel?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mmjaysee
good point. although what if they codeshared with JetBlue and Alaska for domestic flights? and lan for south america flights? oh wait, they already do!
Fortunately AA hasn't quite gotten to the point of codesharing on B6... it would make me seriously consider walking away from AA while I still can.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plt Elite
Does that mean the BUD-JFK is also discontinued?

I have an award ticket for July.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Priority Club Platinum
Does that mean the BUD-JFK is also discontinued?

I have an award ticket for July.
I'll reply to state the obvious because no one else has, but yes, with JFK-BUD cancelled, the return leg BUD-JFK is also. Unless you had an award ticket that routed via LHR or HEL, then you will be rerouted. Keep an eye out for the change in your reservation, or email notification of the change.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:19 pm

Are we not including Eagle anymore? They fly tons of places Southwest wouldn't dare touch.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LatusElAl
Somebody has got to explain to me why AA isn't serving TLV directly. . .
CO, DL, US . . . . they are all there - and doing quite well . . . and BA, LX and LH have tons of one-stop feeder traffic between TLV and the US.
Even if AA has to pick up the TWA obligations or whatever - the potential has got to be enormous. Why don't they even look at it?
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.