Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by nkedel
I've seen Virgin America described as being headquartered in "San Francisco" when they are in fact headquartered in Burlingame. Unless you live in the area, it's close enough to the same thing either way (and in both cases, on FT, it's probably a matter of remembering the airport rather than the city.)
SFO is owned by the city & county of San Francisco, despite being located over the border proper in San Mateo county, so it's understandable... plus, non-locals have probably never heard of Burlingame.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flight62
... and the AA American Advantage will be the FF name. That has already been decided.
can you remind me the source of this info/decision? i couldn't find it while searching this thread....though i may missed it, even though you are giving a definite answer to an speculation thread.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlp187
can you remind me the source of this info/decision? i couldn't find it while searching this thread....though i may missed it, even though you are giving a definite answer to an speculation thread.
Doug Parker told everyone who would listen sometime last April or May that he would retain the name and the headquarters would stay in Fort Worth. Lotsa news stories from last spring covering it.

In other news today, Mike Boyd (aviation consultant) says that merger of AA and US would be great news for DFW at the expense of CLT and PHX.

Here's the Charlotte perspective on Boyd's views:

http://mergerintheair.blogspot.com/2...ould-cost.html

Here is the Dallas Morning News take on Boyd's views:

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/c...fw-airport.ece
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:23 pm
hmv

I don't consider Mr. Boyd as an important consultant..its not like Boyd Group is on the same level playing field as a Seabury, Intervistas or a consultant from the big 4..
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Any available "important" consultant should be gainfully employed, advising one of the many players involved, either muzzled by an NDA, or fiduciary obligation. Those currently making public statements are like the rest of us - on the outside looking in, without a clue as to what is really happening.

This thread was entertaining, somewhat informative when rumors started to fly, I now can't wait for a decision to be made, put an end to all of the wild pontification.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Hilton Dia, Marriott Gold, Hertz Pres Cir, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Tolarian Wind
A bigger question for me is what will happen with the US and or AA total flown miles. When AA acquired TW the total miles from TW were rolled into the unofficial "Million Miler" bank. When DL acquired NW, they were not added. Only the currently available for redemption miles were transferred.

TW
Not true. I was a NW frequent flyer and my lifetime miles on NW were added to my lifetime miles on DL. In addition, My lifetime Worldclub membership was converted into a lifetime Skyclub membership.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by frambusch
Not true. I was a NW frequent flyer and my lifetime miles on NW were added to my lifetime miles on DL. In addition, My lifetime Worldclub membership was converted into a lifetime Skyclub membership.
Same thing with the UA/CO merger - all my lifetime miles from both programs were combined into one account.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by hmv
I don't consider Mr. Boyd as an important consultant..its not like Boyd Group is on the same level playing field as a Seabury, Intervistas or a consultant from the big 4..
I'm "in the industry" as one would say. Mr. Boyd seeks out venues to have an audience and his trademark is brash and "shocking" predictions. I would agree that enough key consultants are involved and the ones talking are the ones who are not "the cool kids" per se, they are just observers
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by thenerdsnet1
If merger-takeover happens. What will happen to platinum's for life and are they planning on staying on aa program or moving to us airways?
Regardless of the ultimate program, which IMO is likely to be AAdvantage (although the double AA is now meaningless with the new livery), they'd be nuts not to take care of their best customers.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Jan 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by diver858
This thread was entertaining, somewhat informative when rumors started to fly, I now can't wait for a decision to be made, put an end to all of the wild pontification.
One could also choose to stop being a part of the "wild pontification" as an option too, no?

Just a thought...

Regards
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HookEm
Yes, but the airport`s official name is Dallas - Fort Worth Airport (DFW), so saying Fort Worth is as worthy as saying Dallas. After all, it has 2 of the 3 words making up the name of the airport. So being specific and correct is probably advisable.
AA is not headquartered in airport property, but on land within Ft. Worth (4333 Amon Carter Blvd to be more precise).
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by hmv

Wasn't Mr. Boyd the same genius consultant who criticized AA for buying the London townhouse? I can't find the quote now, but I'm pretty sure it was the same guy. The best part was that according to him, it was a bad decision because AA didn't have much of a presence in London at the time. Somehow he fails to see that when trying to build a presence there it might be a good idea to have a residence for executives, especially considering how successful they were at building that route. Of course the profit they made on the house wasn't bad either, although both the costs and profit on that house are insignificant compared to building up the LHR routes.

The news likes to hold this clown up as if he's knowledgeable because he's great at making inflammatory quotes, but if the moron can't even tell a great decision when he sees it in hindsight then why should we listen to him when he's offering unsolicited opinions of the best course for the future? If he says a merger is a good idea, then smart investors should run away.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAClubGeek
Wasn't Mr. Boyd the same genius consultant who criticized AA for buying the London townhouse? I can't find the quote now, but I'm pretty sure it was the same guy. The best part was that according to him, it was a bad decision because AA didn't have much of a presence in London at the time. Somehow he fails to see that when trying to build a presence there it might be a good idea to have a residence for executives, especially considering how successful they were at building that route. Of course the profit they made on the house wasn't bad either, although both the costs and profit on that house are insignificant compared to building up the LHR routes.

The news likes to hold this clown up as if he's knowledgeable because he's great at making inflammatory quotes, but if the moron can't even tell a great decision when he sees it in hindsight then why should we listen to him when he's offering unsolicited opinions of the best course for the future? If he says a merger is a good idea, then smart investors should run away.

Not commenting on Boyd, but your comments about the London townhouse: the general trend with airlines has been selling non-core assets such as real estate and investing the capital into the core business.

By any stretch of the imagination, a luxurious town house in London was not a smart business move even if they turned a profit on real estate (a different business). For a low margin, cyclical industry where there is little benefit from being able to entertain clients in a townhouse, AA could have easily leased corporate apartments like the 99 percent much more cost effectively. Airline executives also have the lowest hotel expenses of any industry as they benefit from crew rates when the travel.

AA success in London was that they bought the TW routes at a time they were in a position of strength and leveraged the fact that they were one of the four US/UK airlines allowed to serve LHR at the time. During that period DL, CO, NW, US and then TW (Stl-LGW) were relegated to LGW or STN.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, BA, UA, HH Dia, CC Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
Que sera, sera. No sense to panic over a merger that is not a done deal, IMO.
Certainly no sense to panic, but it's practically a done deal. Flying yesterday, I had a great long conversation with an employee who was shocked that I knew of the merger and in very whispered tone for a couple of hours we discussed the new overall designs, and the new things to come.
Yes, only the execs know of the specific routing changes and flight scheduling details but employees know the merger is coming.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Gotta love employee rumors. Anybody who actually knows anything better be keeping their mouth shut or be in a whole load of trouble. Anybody who is currently saying anything probably believes the pipedream Dougie has conned the unions with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.