Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which flights serve ice cream / sundaes?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Which flights serve ice cream / sundaes?

I admit this is a silly question, but so be it. Is there any rule for which flights get sundaes in C class? I know flights to Europe do, as do JFK-LAX/SFO, while shorter domestic routes such as JFK-MIA typically don't. How about a four hour flight from MIA-UIO?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by trebex
Is there any rule for which flights get sundaes in C class? I know flights to Europe do, as do JFK-LAX/SFO
Not all flights to or from Europe in business get sundaes. Neither do all flights between JFK and LAX/SFO. Not having flown to UIO I can't speak to that route, but it would be dependant on time of day and the type of catering. What equipment will you be flying?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:55 am
Original Poster

It is a 757 departing MIA around 4PM. Return is out of UIO at 10AM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
I think Sundaes are only in first class long-haul international and transcon, unless there is no first class, in which case business class will get sundaes (e.g. 763, 757).

They usually have ice cream, but not Sundaes, in business class (when there is a first class cabin) on the same routes (int'l long-haul and transcon)
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:02 am
Original Poster

I thought they were standard on transcontinental business and long-haul intl business. There are lots of pics of them on airlinemeals.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:03 am

they also serve them on AA766 from DFW-LGA which is a 737 and 2:30 hr flight. This was my experience this past month taking that flight 4 times.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by WrLdTrvLnIndian
they also serve them on AA766 from DFW-LGA which is a 737 and 2:30 hr flight. This was my experience this past month taking that flight 4 times.
All dinner flights between LGA and DFW get them. JFK/SFO/LAX redeyes do not.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I thought they were standard on transcontinental business and long-haul intl business. There are lots of pics of them on airlinemeals.
The hand made sundae cart is also standard on the long haul DFW or ORD to HNL or OGG flights. Part of the "Hawaiian Flagship Service".
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: AA PLAT
mmmm Sundae's.. Def worth the stickers....
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
This is my knowledge on the subject. Please feel free to add/edit to it.

Transcon routes LAX/SFO-JFK/EWR/BOS/MIA (may include other routes such as YYZ and SEA):

Lunch flights: Sludge
Dinner flights: made to order sundae

ORD-West Coast (example LAX/SFO)
DFW-North East and West Coast (example LGA,EWR,LAX,SFO)
Dinner: Sludge

DFW/ORD-HNL
F: Made to order sundae

LAX-Hawaii (except LIH-LAX due to lack of catering)
Lunch: Made to order sundae
Dinner: Made to order sundae
(Thanks to HIEXP, post 17)

Europe/Asia/Deep South America

777:
F: Made to order sundae
J: Sludge

763/757:
J: Made to order sundae

I might be wrong on the DFW-West Coast sludge, but someone will soon enough know the answer for certain.

Last edited by sukn; Feb 3, 2012 at 12:02 pm
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
All dinner flights between LGA and DFW get them. JFK/SFO/LAX redeyes do not.
Not true. I was on 762 on Wednesday and received a sugar cookie. I take this route frequently, and I can't remember a sundae.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:41 am

I was on a SFO JFK flight in January and we received sundaes. However, they were of lower quality than usual. Previously, it was vanilla ice cream with a choice of raspberry or strawberry syrup, or hot fudge (I always asked for both ) served by the FA. Last flight, it was rock hard chocalate with mini marshmallows that was obviously made and deep frozen ahead of time.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by george 3
Not true. I was on 762 on Wednesday and received a sugar cookie. I take this route frequently, and I can't remember a sundae.
Was your 762 flight a breakfast flight? If so, yes the cookie is all you got prior to landing. Meal window matters.

Originally Posted by george 3
I was on a SFO JFK flight in January and we received sundaes. However, they were of lower quality than usual. Previously, it was vanilla ice cream with a choice of raspberry or strawberry syrup, or hot fudge (I always asked for both ) served by the FA. Last flight, it was rock hard chocalate with mini marshmallows that was obviously made and deep frozen ahead of time.
Obviously a lunch flight. Got to book the dinner flight if you want the real deal.

Last edited by sukn; Feb 3, 2012 at 11:49 am
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Global Entry
it is kind of harsh (although hilarious) to call the pre-made ice cream "sludge".

i really enjoyed my sludge on recent NRT flights in J! Also got some sludge on 889 ORD-LAX in 757 F.

True, it's not as good as the made to order sundaes, but still... much better than whatever they are serving in coach on the same flights.

Sludge!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by sukn
Was your 762 flight a breakfast flight? If so, yes the cookie is all you got prior to landing. Meal window matters.

Dinner time flight - departed 610pm

Obviously a lunch flight. Goot book the dinner flight if you want the real deal.
Lunch flight - departed 1230pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.