Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Cut Up to 15,000 Jobs

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA to Cut Up to 15,000 Jobs

NBC 5 (Ft Worth) has learned that Fort Worth-based American Airlines may cut between 10,000 and 15,000 jobs across the company.

Sources familiar with the plan said they company plans to announce the cuts during a meeting Wednesday morning in Fort Worth.

It is estimated that 1,000 of those jobs to be cut will be at the company's maintenance base at Alliance Airport in north Fort Worth.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/...477399.html?dr
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:03 am

Programs: United 1K
I think they have less than 75K employees, so this is quite a reduction.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:09 am

Bets on whether they'll be outsourcing these jobs to El Salvador?

Personally, I think it ought to be illegal to operate *ANY* aircraft that hasn't been serviced at an American maintenance facility anywhere in the US, except for a handful of ports of entry (JFK, for instance).

http://luterano.blogspot.com/2009/06...s-move-to.html
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by lobo411

Personally, I think it ought to be illegal to operate *ANY* aircraft that hasn't been serviced at an American maintenance facility anywhere in the US, except for a handful of ports of entry (JFK, for instance).

http://luterano.blogspot.com/2009/06...s-move-to.html
lol. Nothing like ridiculous statements on a Wednesday morning....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum

It's already illegal for foreign-flagged aircraft to operate domestic routes in the US. Are you saying that foreign aircraft should be restricted from certain international airports in the US that they currently fly to? Or are you saying that even foreign-flagged aircraft should have a US-only maintenance requirement? Or are you saying the above should apply only to US-flagged aircraft?

As an aside, most if not all CO 777 heavy maintenance as well as interior refurbishment is done in Hong Kong. It's somewhat convenient in that CO flies scheduled 777 service to HKG, so this reduces the ferry flights required. But they also service 767s there IIRC, and this requires ferry flights in all cases. So it's not at all unusual for an US-based airline to have heavy maintenance done in another country. I'm sure the unions don't like it though. Part of the problem is that the routes that a 777 operates on are almost exclusively international, meaning that they need to compete with foreign airlines and their lower cost structure. There's pretty much no way around that.

Interestingly, there have been articles in a Hong Kong newspaper about an aircraft servicing company, and how they are using the Hong Kong equivalent of the H1-B/H2-B visa program to import cheaper labor from the Philippines to work as aircraft mechanics. The local mechanics don't like this. Different country, same problem.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
No doubt because no one outside of the US knows how to properly maintain an airplane.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Steve M
Or are you saying the above should apply only to US-flagged aircraft?
This. It should apply to US operators on domestic routes. According to the DOT's Office of the Inspector General, there are 100 FAA inspectors who are supposed to cover 700 repair facilities worldwide. In the US, there are 4000 inspectors for 4200 facilities.

UAL's contractor in Beijing maintains a staff of 5 licensed aviation mechanics...supervising 2500 unlicensed mechanics who do the actual work!

DAL's contractor in Mexico maintains a staff of 50 licensed mechanics supervising 550 unlicensed mechanics!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
No doubt because no one outside of the US knows how to properly maintain an airplane.
If you need your gall bladder removed, would you trust me to do the job since I can go on google and figure it out? Or would you prefer to have a trained, licensed doctor operating out of a professionally inspected facility?
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ya gotta wonder why the thousands of airplanes flown by non-USA airlines aren't falling out of the sky. LH, BA, QF, CX, JL, SQ, and all the rest overhaul their airframes and engines (insourced or outsourced) outside the USA and their collective maintenance safety record is no worse than the domestic carriers.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Ya gotta wonder why the thousands of airplanes flown by non-USA airlines aren't falling out of the sky. LH, BA, QF, CX, JL, SQ, and all the rest overhaul their airframes and engines (insourced or outsourced) outside the USA and their collective maintenance safety record is no worse than the domestic carriers.
Compared to the US and Europe (where nobody is talking about outsourcing jobs to, btw) they are:

IATA's assessment of regional safety performance, using the same parameters (Western-built jet hull losses per million sectors) sees most regions performing better than they did in 2010. Europe had no such accidents, Southern Africa recorded a rate of 3.93 compared with 8.26 in 2010, and the respective rates for the other regions were as follows: Latin America and the Caribbean 1.43 compared with 2.00; Middle East and North Africa 0.76 against 0.8; Asia Pacific 0.2 against 0.9; North Asia zero compared with 0.38, and North America the same as 2010 at 0.11. The Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) was worse at 1.39 in 2011 compared with a clean sheet the previous year, but the CIS numbers always look rather artificial when judged by this parameter because there were five Eastern-built jet hull losses among CIS operators in 2011 and those are not included.

http://www.flightglobal.com/Features...ccident-rates/
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: EXP- finally
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Ya gotta wonder why the thousands of airplanes flown by non-USA airlines aren't falling out of the sky.
Duct tape, nuff said.
but to stay on topic, many FB posts already after this announcement.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If you need your gall bladder removed, would you trust me to do the job since I can go on google and figure it out? Or would you prefer to have a trained, licensed doctor operating out of a professionally inspected facility?
It is a shame that no other country has trained and licensed doctors, or even plumbing, running water and electricity.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
That's a lot of cuts. While we worry about cut backs say on board or other areas, there will be a lot of AA families hurt.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:54 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
This is very sad - so sorry to hear this. A lot of hard working people are going to be impacted by this.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Hopefully AA can reduce the impact of job cuts by offering incentives for retirement for those employees who might be at or close to the retirement time. Sadly, I doubt this will be enough to fill all the job reductions slots, but at least it would limit the impact some.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.