Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP exhibits heroic behavior SFO-ORD (giving up F seat)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by laxconnorw
If he didn't toot his own horn, no one would have known about it, just as no one would have known about the many people this past Christmas who paid for the poor's lawaway at Walmart, without the news reports.

Those Walmart lawaway payments made by good Samaritans were reported ad nauseum in the news, and allegedly sparked additional random acts of charity.

If this post even allows for one more act of kindness from some other EXP it would be wonderful. I am not 6'4 nor 250lbs, and don't know if I would give up an F seat for a coach seat.
Good is best done without provocation, recognition or reward.

This was a caring act but calling it "heroic" for any reason is a YMMV.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Originally Posted by dayone
Good is best done without provocation, recognition or reward.

This was a caring act but calling it "heroic" for any reason is a YMMV.
What I did wasn't in any way, shape or form even remotely heroic. It's called hyperbole - look into it, it's occasionally used here on FT for a variety of purposes. In my case, humor. Or at least an attempt at such.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:22 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by masonp123
It's called hyperbole - look into it, it's occasionally used here on FT for a variety of purposes.
Wait, what? I thought you were literally going to spit in my eye. Do you mean to say I bought these goggles for nothing?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
Thumbs up

Yeah, good for you. Probably got more mini's than you would have if you stayed in F. I probably wouldn't have even been aware of my seat mate's condition as I generally don't talk much so probably need to do that more . Thanks for sharing your story though, it did give me a warm fuzzy.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
After reading the thread, it is unclear to me if this lady's husband tried to upgrade 2 or just one. He would have to have split the PNR into two PNRs to upgrade one, and into three PNRs to upgrade two. In my opinion, it makes a difference to this whole saga.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
SFO-ORD? that's just 4 hours.

Very nice of Gerard Butler to do this.

But I would just say it was really nice. I wouldn't use "heroic" here, even as a hyperbole.

IMO, Heroic would be to give up a J seat on LAX-LHR (or similar)
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosdca

IMO, Heroic would be to give up a J seat on LAX-LHR (or similar)
I routinely use VIPs to give up J seats. Can I be a hero?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:59 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I routinely use VIPs to give up J seats. Can I be a hero?
nahh...that's just a donation

or gifting...

Last edited by carlosdca; Jan 15, 2012 at 5:40 am
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984

When you study philosophy, you learn of the different stages of giving charity. The lowest stage is performing a good deed for self aggrandizement and reward. (Ain't I wonderful post and free booze).The highest being a good deed performed in silence and in secret. Iwish you the greatest of luck on that path.

How lucky for you there were no uniform soldiers on the plane to detract all the respect you clearly have earned from your incredible feat of sitting in the back of an airplane drinking.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Assuming that this happened as reported,.... Very nice? Yes. Kind? Yes. Generous? Yes. Heroic? No. IMO we, as a society, use the word "hero" way too often and apply it far too freely.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I think some people need to get a sense of humor.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
On narrow-body, domestic flights give me an entire row of coach rather than a seat in a crowded first cabin; I prefer the spaciousness.
That said, OP appeared unaware of the load in Y in his herioc offering.
So, well done!

Last edited by AAJetMan; Jan 15, 2012 at 7:28 am
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Are some of the responders in this post really believing that the OP is truly claiming to be a hero?! It is clear to me that he was just having fun with his post and spoofing being a hero, i.e. a sense of humor.

If he was truly trying to be narcissistic, doing so behind a screen name on a forum is hardly gratifying. You would have seen him on the local news bragging if that was his true intent.

<redacted>

In this particular case I don't think it was "necessary" to give up his seat, but certainly a commendable thing to do.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 15, 2012 at 4:03 pm Reason: part of post no longer germane deleted
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: AA lifetime plat 2.5 million
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Good job!
For those of you that say he is bragging, he does deserve it, as he is being generous to do this.
It serves as a model to what we should do.
In a world where we are frequently looking out for ourselves, it is nice to see someone with empathy.

Way to go dude.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:51 am

Programs: AAExP(3MM), HHDiamond, Priority Club Plat, Hyatt Plat, United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by vasantn
I think some people need to get a sense of humor.
<redacted>

Around here the OP would have received less flak if his story was about how he fought an 80 yr old seat poacher, trumped a military upgrade, fought about PDB, etc.

BTW - that was a joke too Debbie Downers of the World.

I say good job OP!

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 15, 2012 at 3:59 pm Reason: deleted part of post now unnecessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.