Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAMRQ: TPG, US Airways (LCC) and Delta (DAL) consider bids for AMR Corp-- WSJ ($0.36)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAMRQ: TPG, US Airways (LCC) and Delta (DAL) consider bids for AMR Corp-- WSJ ($0.36)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
If the US Airways and American merger occurs, I tend to think that US Airways will use the American name and the AAdvantage program.

Last edited by rendezvous; Jan 12, 2012 at 8:04 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
AA cannot compete with ua/co or delta without a us merger. That is so obvious. My rdu based company just switched from aa to ua and most of my offices travel is to lhr which now requires a stop at iAd ( whichni now like because of the am flightnto lhr). DCA and CLT(from what I remember these were UAL's reasons for wanting the 2000 merger). Would help aa bulk up.

I agree AA has the best milage program for elites, but it is inevitable that the program(especially swu's) will be devalued post bankruptcy to mirror delta and ual. Those that think aa emerging as a standalone carrier would preventnthis are smoking the good stuff.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'll use an underdog: AS buys out AA and carries the AA name.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:14 pm
Suspended

Keep in mind once the BA BD acquisition goes through BA has much less exposure if AA is chopped up as it can use the BD slots to replace AA flights to the USA.

OW could then have US or B6 as its USA partner assuming AA is split up much like PA.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
This would be a perfect match. AA's presence in both Asia and Europe is weak where DL is strong. AA would complement DL's presence in Central and South America.

There would still be plenty of competition around. In the domestic market UA, US, WN, B6, VX, AS etc.
Great idea--as long as American runs the show.

Or at least AAdvantage management runs the ff program.

Delta's FF program is easily the worst, and AA's arguably the best.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Keep in mind once the BA BD acquisition goes through BA has much less exposure if AA is chopped up as it can use the BD slots to replace AA flights to the USA.

OW could then have US or B6 as its USA partner assuming AA is split up much like PA.
I wonder under what circumstances AA / IAG would have to reapply for ATI? Is US acquired AA would the ATI automatically continue, or would they have to make a fresh application? Like you I can certainly imagine DL acquiring much of AA, and effectively moving it into SkyTeam would invalidate the ATI, and I'm not sure that wouldn't ultimately be the best outcome for consumers?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Delta's FF program is easily the worst, and AA's arguably the best.
AA's being the more generous to passengers doesn't necessarily make it the most beneficial to the airline. Would you prefer a financially healthy carrier that's going to be around a while, or a generous one that teeters on the brink of Bankruptcy?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Well, bye bye to OW, LAN goes with TAM *A
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bernardd
AA's being the more generous to passengers doesn't necessarily make it the most beneficial to the airline. Would you prefer a financially healthy carrier that's going to be around a while, or a generous one that teeters on the brink of Bankruptcy?
If I'm getting a service I'm happy with I don't much care what the state of the Airline's finances is. If it's a choice of current AAdvantage benefits for X amount of months/years longer and then loss of those benefits or immediate loss of those benefits then I'll take the former. Either way I lose the service I like....just in the former case I get it for that bit longer.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Delta 16.3%
Southwest 14.8%
American 13.3%
United 9.6%
US Airways 7.9%
Continental 7.3%
JetBlue 4.6%
Alaska 3.5%
AirTran Corporation 3.4%
SkyWest 2.1%
Other 17.2%
From http://www.transtats.bts.gov/

I don't know, but is it even viable to think that the DOJ will approve something like this? Assuming CO+United is one, a Delta+AA (29.6%) will result in a airline with 75% more than the 2nd largest airline(16.9%).

AA+US does not seem that bad, but personally hope that does not happen.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:17 am
Suspended

I wonder under what circumstances AA / IAG would have to reapply for ATI? Is US acquired AA would the ATI automatically continue, or would they have to make a fresh application? Like you I can certainly imagine DL acquiring much of AA, and effectively moving it into SkyTeam would invalidate the ATI, and I'm not sure that wouldn't ultimately be the best outcome for consumers?
Not sure of the process but if AA gets chopped up I would think ATI approval would be a condition of the sale and each alliance would need to get that approval in concert from both the U.S. and EU.

I guess the other aspect - that could tell AA's future - is what happens to AAdvantage. I believe that TPG paid for part of its acquisition of Neiman Marcus by spinning out the NM credit card division and selling it to a bank. One would think that could be on their mind with AAdvantage. As at least one other said, a TPG deal would probably be in the best interest of AAdvantage fliers, however, IMO the EVIP gravy train will soon be a goner.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Anyone know how to use this news to make money on airline stocks?

I always bought US airways stock (LCC) and made money on it because I always thought AA or another airline was going to buy them. Funny how the opposite is about to happen.

No way a delta/AA merger will pass regulatory approval. It would be like the ATT-Tmobile merger that got squashed. US and AA merger has always been speculated and makes the most sense.

Last edited by TAWS; Jan 13, 2012 at 2:13 am
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by TAWS
Anyone know how to use this news to make money on airline stocks?
Nope. But just take the opposite side of my trades and you'll usually do well.

I always bought US airways stock (LCC) and made money on it because I always thought AA or another airline was going to buy them. Funny how the opposite is about to happen.
About to happen? Really?

No way a delta/AA merger will pass regulatory approval. It would be like the ATT-Tmobile merger that got squashed. US and AA merger has always been speculated and makes the most sense.
A merger with US? Puke. Let's hope AA stays AA (OK, a merger with AS might be cool albeit astronomically unlikely.)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 2:59 am

But, AAdvantage isn't why AA is having financial difficulties.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by berlinflyer83
But, AAdvantage isn't why AA is having financial difficulties.
AA is having trouble because they should have declared Chapter 11 like the other major airlines (Delta, United, US, Northwest) shortly after 9/11.

Since they avoided bankruptcy after 9/11, they were not able to reorganize like the other airlines and simply couldn't compete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.