Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

If you fly 100K EQM in First 2 Months of year, do you get extra year of EXPLAT?

Old Jan 11, 12, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K

Forgive me if this has been posted, but I did a search and couldn't find a relevant thread...

...if you fly 100K EQM on AA in Jan/Feb, are you executive platinum through Feb 2014 (as if you had flown those 100K throughout the year) or through Feb 2015?

I spoke with an AA customer service manager who said he never heard of such a thing but at various Megado's, I've heard that it is true, you get an extra year of being an EXPLAT because of qualifying by February.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me View Post
Forgive me if this has been posted, but I did a search and couldn't find a relevant thread...

...if you fly 100K EQM on AA in Jan/Feb, are you executive platinum through Feb 2014 (as if you had flown those 100K throughout the year) or through Feb 2015?

I spoke with an AA customer service manager who said he never heard of such a thing but at various Megado's, I've heard that it is true, you get an extra year of being an EXPLAT because of qualifying by February.
I've never heard of this, however I'm new to the game. If you qualify this Feb. you should have status through end of Feb 2014.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by folex386 View Post
I've never heard of this, however I'm new to the game. If you qualify this Feb. you should have status through end of Feb 2014.
I could have been snookered by a flyertalker and not known it. I may have egg on my face.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flying 100K miles anytime in 2012 will give you EXP until Feb 2014.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM
It is effectively two years for the price of one, i.e., 3/2012 - 2/2014. The only difference is you only get 8 SWUs.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:41 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member- DL SILVER Medallion

But you still get only 8 SWUs until Feb 2014.

You will need at least one long haul roundtrip per week to get 100 EQMs by late Feb.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:45 pm

It's only until February 2014, which is why as was mentioned in another thread, if you're already EXP, there's really no rush to re-qualify in the beginning of the year.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by worldtraveler19 View Post
You will need at least one long haul roundtrip per week to get 100 EQMs by late Feb.
Or a bunch of SFO-ORD RTs in January which bring in 11,000 EQM per trip if you have the right status and live in the right state. SFO-DFW and LAX-ORD/DFW will work, too, but for less miles.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Or a bunch of SFO-ORD RTs in January which bring in 11,000 EQM per trip if you have the right status and live in the right state. SFO-DFW and LAX-ORD/DFW will work, too, but for less miles.
Too bad I'm in Dallas. But I have planned for 10 DFW/SFO MRs this month.
That plus flying for work should get to almost 100k EQM by the end of Jan.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
What you may have heard is that you don't really have to earn 100k EQMs every year to maintain continuous EXP status. You can earn the status one year, coast all the way through the next year, and then as long as you requalify in January or February of Year 3, no interruption.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
It is effectively two years for the price of one, i.e., 3/2012 - 2/2014. The only difference is you only get 8 SWUs.
If one is already EXP (and the OP's profile seems to indicate that), then there is definitely no benefit whatsoever to rushing...unless one needs the SWUs now.

Cheers.
Old Jan 11, 12, 2:57 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
If one is already EXP (and the OP's profile seems to indicate that), then there is definitely no benefit whatsoever to rushing...unless one needs the SWUs now.

Cheers.
Or expects a big drop in travel this year.
Old Jan 11, 12, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ready2Go View Post
What you may have heard is that you don't really have to earn 100k EQMs every year to maintain continuous EXP status. You can earn the status one year, coast all the way through the next year, and then as long as you requalify in January or February of Year 3, no interruption.
that is what I heard. The advantage is once you requalify (like many of us who are doing the 3x2), you can pick your spots, redeem miles, and forego MR's...

...which is what I plan to do I guess. 1) Only fly AA when promotions and redeemables are high; and 2) use my miles or other airline miles to fly biz to routes AA doesn't fly (which is almost everywhere nowadays)...
Old Jan 11, 12, 3:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Not on this airline.
Old Jan 11, 12, 3:17 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

Status qualifying year is always from 1/1/XXXX to 12/31/XXXX.

However, status benefit year ends at the end of February every year.

The reason status benefits are extended an extra two months is because partner miles (or for that matter AA miles) may not post by 12/31. By extending the benefit period to February, it creates a well needed buffer so that an elite's status does not get interrupted for a few weeks until miles earned at the end of December properly post to their account.

For example, if an EXP took a BA flight on Dec 31st but if those miles do not post to his account until Jan 15th, without the February buffer, the EXP would drop to PLT for two weeks -- and that would be just nonsense.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: