Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

If you fly 100K EQM in First 2 Months of year, do you get extra year of EXPLAT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by tom911
You're not SFO based, though, so I can see that. Which of those cities in your profile are home the next few months? I ran into one FTer last week that was out 7 days straight doing a couple a day. I can't do that. One trip a day is plenty and my travel dates are spread out into February. My typical pattern has been out at 0900 and back at 1900, or out at midnight and back at 0900. A lot easier to do when you're not doing multiples the same day and you have some breaks between travel dates.

Some of those out flying are UA flyers. I flew with a UA 1K yesterday (EXP equivalent) who doesn't have a single UA flight booked this year. I know he's not the only UA flyer out there.

One per weekend is good enough for me. After one turn I'm done and can't even imagine another without a break.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM AA, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by mathlete
It is effectively two years for the price of one, i.e., 3/2012 - 2/2014. The only difference is you only get 8 SWUs.
Not really. If you're already EXP and requalify during the first month of a new year, it is hardly anything special. It would only help those out who are not already EXP.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:22 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by laxconnorw
Not really. If you're already EXP and requalify during the first month of a new year, it is hardly anything special. It would only help those out who are not already EXP.
Exactly. There's not much point in us doing MR's now. By Thanksgiving if it looks like we'll come up short then it's time to consider a couple of MR's.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by siankaan1
Exactly. There's not much point in us doing MR's now. By Thanksgiving if it looks like we'll come up short then it's time to consider a couple of MR's.
Come Thanksgiving time, tickets start becoming really expensive until the end of the year because Christmas is right around the corner. Well, I suppose the first weeks of December can be fairly cheap.

I like to think about MRs around October.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
Well here's thing. I have taken a couple of ORD-LAX/SFO, but whenever I go, I seem to see the same group of F passengers every time I take this route. It's weird, but it's indeed true that a lot of people are trying to just do ORD-LAX/SFO to get the EXP by this month. I can't, however, stand the boredom of it.
I did my first MR this past week. JFK to SFO and back in one day. Even a good book and watching three movies wasn't enough to stem the boredom. I'll do this again only if I'm not going to re-qualify for EXP next year.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:30 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
it can be only 50k flown miles in this January (most of Jan is gone) to get EXP till Feb 2014, by using DEQM promos.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond
I have 11 DFW-SFO. 7 down 4 to go

Originally Posted by krazieman
Too bad I'm in Dallas. But I have planned for 10 DFW/SFO MRs this month.
That plus flying for work should get to almost 100k EQM by the end of Jan.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Come Thanksgiving time, tickets start becoming really expensive until the end of the year because Christmas is right around the corner. Well, I suppose the first weeks of December can be fairly cheap.

I like to think about MRs around October.
Not to disagree with you (you're correct), but AA often has extremely good I fares to Europe that are only valid for a few days either side of Thanksgiving. E.g., $2k round-trip all-in SAN-BRU. Upgradable to F with VIPs.

We also found ~$450 RT to London (about $1100 all-in) for deep-discount coach over Christmas. (I'd already requalified, but tagged along on a MR by my partner to requalify.) Upgrading to J with VIPs made it tolerable. Super crew made it fun.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by ffI
it can be only 50k flown miles in this January (most of Jan is gone) to get EXP till Feb 2014, by using DEQM promos.
If the stars align, it can be less than that.

Be eligible for both DEQAA and DEQ11 and fly only the SFO/LAX/ORD/DFW qualifying routes and you could hit EXP with 33,334 flown miles (assuming those routes can be strung together to add up to exactly 33334).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PantyWaster
If the stars align, it can be less than that.

Be eligible for both DEQAA and DEQ11 and fly only the SFO/LAX/ORD/DFW qualifying routes and you could hit EXP with 33,334 flown miles (assuming those routes can be strung together to add up to exactly 33334).
Unfortunately 9 ord-sfo are netting me 33,228 BIS, 99,684 total EQM. I'm scrambling to find a way to get those last 316 without sitting in coach again (or using valuable upgrade stickers that I hope to use for non-EXP passengers)

Any ideas, anyone?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ken7
Unfortunately 9 ord-sfo are netting me 99,684. I'm scrambling to find a way to get those last 316 without sitting in coach again (or using valuable upgrade stickers that I hope to use for non-EXP passengers)

Any ideas, anyone?
I would just take a short Eagle flight to anywhere. If it's short, and you have an exit row, coach is fine.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by ken7
Unfortunately 9 ord-sfo are netting me 33,228 BIS, 99,684 total EQM. I'm scrambling to find a way to get those last 316 without sitting in coach again (or using valuable upgrade stickers that I hope to use for non-EXP passengers)

Any ideas, anyone?
ORD-MKE?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
100k EQM miles in 2 months is some going. Cool
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

Let me see if I can explain this as best I can, as I was also in the same predicament as OP. After some explanation, I did figured it out. However, you will never get an extra year of EXP, your wording is incorrect. This explanation is only applicable to those who are not EXP to begin with. Here it goes.

As have been mentioned before, all flight activity that occurs in year 1 (2012) will give you status that is valid until Feb of year 3 (2014) No problem here, correct. Let's say that on Dec 31 2012 is when you finally cross over the 100k mark, you are now EXP and it is valid until Feb 2014, therefore valid for 14 months, or 1 year and 2 months. This, my friends is the SHORTEST amount of longevity for EXP status on AA, do you follow?
So, if you fly 100k by Feb 29 of 2012, you become EXP and your status is valid until Feb of 2014, therefore it is valid for 2 years, or 10 months more than the shortest time already mentioned above.
If you fly 100k on Jan 1st of 2012, you will be EXP until Feb 2014, a longevity of 788 days, (789 in leap year) so 2 years, 1 month and 30 days. so 11 months and 30 days more than the shortest amount mentioned if you qualify on Dec 31. So, yes, you almost could get an extra year of EXP.

Yes, I'm bored, nothing to watch on TV.

Last edited by arollins; Jan 25, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reason: should be 2014
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
Let me see if I can explain this as best I can, as I was also in the same predicament as OP. After some explanation, I did figured it out. However, you will never get an extra year of EXP, your wording is incorrect. This explanation is only applicable to those who are not EXP to begin with. Here it goes.

As have been mentioned before, all flight activity that occurs in year 1 (2012) will give you status that is valid until Feb of year 3 (2014) No problem here, correct. Let's say that on Dec 31 2012 is when you finally cross over the 100k mark, you are now EXP and it is valid until Feb 2014, therefore valid for 14 months, or 1 year and 2 months. This, my friends is the SHORTEST amount of longevity for EXP status on AA, do you follow?
So, if you fly 100k by Feb 29 of 2012, you become EXP and your status is valid until Feb of 2024, therefore it is valid for 2 years, or 10 months more than the shortest time already mentioned above.
If you fly 100k on Jan 1st of 2012, you will be EXP until Feb 2014, a longevity of 788 days, (789 in leap year) so 2 years, 1 month and 30 days. so 11 months and 30 days more than the shortest amount mentioned if you qualify on Dec 31. So, yes, you almost could get an extra year of EXP.

Yes, I'm bored, nothing to watch on TV.
So you're saying qualifying on the leap day gives you a bonus 10 years? Woohoo! Time for me to do so MRs, pronto!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.