Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Holiday Miracle/ Bad Behavior

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Not really. You'll find plenty of people here who report having the same experiences. That, and all the people who are lucky enough to be in the same cabins I'm flying in. Then again, from observing the world around me, it's quite clear to me why some get consistently good treatment and others often don't.

Cheers.
Actually it's about moderated expectations, which I think you probably have, plus a good attitude.

I gravitate from isolating so i don't need to engage, but always starting with a "hello" to the FAs when i come onboard. I still observe and generally AA FAs are average - not much difference from US, UA, CO or B6 - the other airlines I use within North/Central America. There are some very good and some sour ones.

If you're looking for a problem, you can definitely find one with FAs on any of the carriers I mentioned.

It is what it is IMO. Some pax want to say everything is great - others think it's all horrible. It sure isn't the Four Seasons but from an attitude perspective I would align AA FAs in the same category as New York taxi drivers - you are likely to get what you give but sometimes even if you are nice it's a lost cause.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by tom911
Hopefully not for theft.
No...the cops told me she had an outstanding warrant for a DUI in a neighboring county.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by mingw
I'm not religious and I have no problem with the author insisting on pressing charge.
I am religious and similarly have no problem with holding people accountable for their actions.

Remember, also, it is not the crime victim who "presses charges". The crime victim reports the crime, the police investigate, then the district attorney / prosecutor makes the decision to go ahead with a a prosecution. Once the crime is reported, the matter is mostly out of the control of the victim. A victim can refuse to cooperate and that can lead to the prosecutor dropping the case, but there is no guarantee.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LTRS
Well let's not forget that you're special. In fact you're practically a miracle in the world of flight.... a PAX that flies enough to consistently make EXP, but still never experiences poor service. Very unlike the rest of the millions of us who fly.
Me, too! I'm special! I fly enough to consistently make EXP, but I still never experience poor service.

BRP told me how to do it.

Maybe it's those who get the poor service who are "special" somehow.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Actually it's about moderated expectations, which I think you probably have, plus a good attitude.

I gravitate from isolating so i don't need to engage, but always starting with a "hello" to the FAs when i come onboard. I still observe and generally AA FAs are average - not much difference from US, UA, CO or B6 - the other airlines I use within North/Central America. There are some very good and some sour ones.

If you're looking for a problem, you can definitely find one with FAs on any of the carriers I mentioned.

It is what it is IMO. Some pax want to say everything is great - others think it's all horrible. It sure isn't the Four Seasons but from an attitude perspective I would align AA FAs in the same category as New York taxi drivers - you are likely to get what you give but sometimes even if you are nice it's a lost cause.
I always give a hello/acknowledgement to the fa when boarding also. I am surprised to see how many pass by the FA who might be working in the galley without that little courtesy.

If I see an FA or some other service employee who looks like they are really burned out it is my policy to ask first "is everything OK"

Than again there are some people who treat any service person as being beneath them and worthy for only contempt. Many here have seen those individuals and reported same.

Last edited by magic111; Jan 6, 2012 at 11:45 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
I love the fact that this FA committed grand theft, and was caught red handed with the loot. But this forum is still sticking up for the FA.

A DUI should disqualify all air crew also.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Krazyglue
I love the fact that this FA committed grand theft, and was caught red handed with the loot. But this forum is still sticking up for the FA.

A DUI should disqualify all air crew also.
Agreed, utterly shocking that anyone is defending this lying thief who is a disgrace to any business. I bet AA wont be defending her.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
<redacted deleted post>

Nope, I'm in the same category as brp too. So there's a few us who don't get bad service from AA

The only issue I've had with AA over the years was on a JFK-LHR flight when the FA sitting in the bulk head opposite 31A,B forgot to put the door to automatic on the 777. I wasn't paying attention during the departure prep but about 1/2 way through the flight I noticed the door was still in manual. I spoke to the Purser of the Flight as I didn't want to touch the door control myself. She took the situation very seriously and remedied the problem immediately and took down some details about the incident so that it could be reported. She also had the FA responsible (who was working the J cabin) come speak with me to apologise.

The FA explained that she was trying to remember PAX names on her seating plan and it slipped her mind. I laughed and said that I would rather she didn't forget about the slides as I wouldn't want to be pushed onto the tarmac in the likely panic that would ensue following an emergency landing! She wasn't too pleased with my response and was a bit cold during the landing roll when she had to sit opposite me again!

Given that I'd just called her on a transgression of protocol I felt that her coldness was expected although not really justified. However, seems others on here have more issues with AA than I!! Personally I think if you treat the FAs right they'll generally treat you right. Seems to work for me anyway.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 7, 2012 at 12:53 pm Reason: <redacted deleted post>
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by george 3
I still would not have prosecuted, but would have instead contacted AA to insist she be removed and/or confronted her. But that's just me. Accountability can be accomplished outside the legal system too.
Surely by reporting the facts to local law enforcement and assisting with a prosecution you're giving AA the tools, background and context that it needs to deal with the situation? By not doing this, aren't you making if more difficult for AA to find grounds to remove the FA from service (as you seem to suggest they should do)? I would have thought a successful prosecution would have a positive impact on the burden of proof that AA would need to bring to the table when justifying any internal discipline measures wouldn't it?

I'm with dannyk on this one. You can forgive the FA her transgression and not hold a grudge against her, but forgiveness and filing a complaint with law enforcement are not mutually exclusive in my mind.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by RedSox
Me too. I always give them the nice stuff I found on my previous flight...maybe that's why they like me.
Sure, an iPad to the Purser and you're treated like Royalty...

Old Jan 7, 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by onobond
Sure, an iPad to the Purser and you're treated like Royalty...

You make a good point. This is where the OP went wrong. He should have handed over the iPad at the start of the flight. Gotten good service on board. Then reported the loss later to recover his property!!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:00 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Krazyglue
Could you please elaborate on how "this forum" is sticking up for the FA? The overwhelming majority of posts condemn the FA's actions and/or compliment the OP. But maybe we're using different kinds of math.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elitetraveler

I gravitate from isolating so i don't need to engage, but always starting with a "hello" to the FAs when i come onboard.
I really don't think so. I don't moderate my expectations for friendly and courteous service, so my experiences are not predicated on that. They're based on what I actually think is ideal service. Nothing more. Nothing less. And, don't get me wrong, not every flight hits this ideal, but the majority do. And the ones that don't are quite good, and far from negative.

Overall, I gravitate toward isolationism and people avoidance as well, though

Cheers.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Cleanup on aisle 4!

OK, to explain yet again: we do not use ad hominem, call out other members or accuse them of trolling (if you actually see a troll, alert a moderator), we do not discuss religion and politics out of OMNI P/R, we do not carry on purely personal exchanges, especially when they seem to be embers growing into flames, and we do not make gross negative characterizations based on naturally occurring characteristics (or many chosen ones, either).

A large number of posts have been deleted; if you do not "approve" of a poster or a post, either "Alert A Moderator to This Post" or move on - and you always have Ignore at your fingertips.

Thank you,

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 7, 2012 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 7, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by brp
<redacted deleted post>

Not really. You'll find plenty of people here who report having the same experiences. That, and all the people who are lucky enough to be in the same cabins I'm flying in. Then again, from observing the world around me, it's quite clear to me why some get consistently good treatment and others often don't.

Cheers.
+1

Usually one gets what one gives. My view is it's just easier to be pleasant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.