Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Holiday milesAAver Award Travel Inventory - limits, releases

View Poll Results: Embargo vs limited saaver awards
Has AAdvantage instituted an embargo for saaver awards
34.67%
Has AAdvantage limited saaver awards more than past years
65.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

AA Holiday milesAAver Award Travel Inventory - limits, releases

Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iahphx
You can certainly make a plausible argument that int'l demand is different from domestic demand, but I can think of no plausible business justification for "giving away" a long haul domestic saver seat during a busy travel period to a connecting int'l traveller (at off peak rates no less!), but being unwilling to make such a seat available for a domestic traveller.
Because there's only zero to a few international travelers looking for such tickets (at those times), while there are zillions of domestic travelers looking for the domestic portion (at those times).

So to the international flying public at this time, making one seat available is "good availability", while to the domestic flying public, making only one seat available (which is immediately snatched up by someone else) is still "bad availability".

(Availability at anytime amounts is always there, as long as there is a seat available on the flight, so it's misleading -- for purposes of anyalysis, anyway -- to say that "the number of miles needed is different".)

What's going on in this case is that there is saver availability for international flyer, while there is no saver availablity for the domestic flyer. The anytime avialabilty is there in both cases, just not necessarily needed in the international case.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Domestic travellers can try to beat the system by adding an int'l segment. Like if you want to fly HNL-JFK during the embargo period, add a European segment to the itinerary and saver inventory may come-up (for fewer miles than domestic, because it's Europe off-peak!).

[...]

If you look now at Thanksgiving 2012 travel, you'll see that both DFW-CLT and DFW-LGA follow the embargo pattern: great normal availability, but completely blacked out between Nov. 13 and 27.
Please explain to me how you add an international segment onto DFW-CLT or DFW-LGA, when there are no international flights on AA from CLT or LGA?

In other words, this "trick" of adding an international segment seems to me can only work if you are trying to go to a city out of which AA flies international flights. And there's fairly few of those.

But, meanwhile, if you do manage to do this, and do this every year (because you face the same situation every year), do you think AA won't notice?

I would think that the very least that AA would do if they noticed you doing this is retroactively pull the extra miles it would have cost if you had only booked the flight you actually flew. (The worst, of course, would be to shut down your account and wipe it clean.)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The month of November 2012 is now loaded in the schedule and you can see the exact same pattern. It's easy to spot if you pull up a "boring" high-frequency, short-haul market like AUS-DFW or STL-ORD that normally has award availability on almost any day. Thanksgiving this year is November 22 and, it appears to me, that there are no coach saver seats being offered from November 14 through November 26 -- meaning you aren't going to be getting to grandma's house for turkey on a saver ticket.
And yet, in one minute, I found saver coach availability LAX-DFW on Nov 14, contrary to your OP. And as you later clarified, on Thanksgiving day itself as well.

And, of course, plentiful saver F award seats for every day of the month except for 11/14, 11/15, 11/21 and 11/25.

Is it possible that with over 60 million AAdvantage members, and just 3400 combined mainline and Eagle flights daily, that the prime holiday saver coach seats were snapped up by someone else the moment they became available? Or is that not a possibility?

For example, if each flight did have one or two saver coach seats the moment the flights were loaded, is it not possible that of the tens of millions of AAdvantage members, someone requested and received the scarce seats? Or do we have confirmation of the speculative thread title?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jayer
My hero and data point is a family friend who manages to book her entire 8-member extended family to Hawaii every, single, year for the last 20, and always on the days she wants. Small gentle blond woman who would normally drive across town in the middle of the night in the rain to tell you about Jesus rather than fight over anything. Except she knows the scriptural day and the hour and the minute holiday flight availability will be poured out on the public. That night she is logged on with her flights typed in at midnight, or whenever it is, gives it about 30 seconds in case her watch is fast, and hits enter.
Your family friend's strategy to get to Hawaii is sound. Indeed, it is probably the single best strategy for getting a group to Hawaii at peak periods. But she won't be flying AA this year using that strategy for Thanksgiving or Xmas (unless she picks one of the very few non-embargoed days, like perhaps Christmas day). AA will not load the seats. That's what this whole thing is about. The usual 330 (or is it 331?) day load is "intercepted" by the script.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please explain to me how you add an international segment onto DFW-CLT or DFW-LGA, when there are no international flights on AA from CLT or LGA?

In other words, this "trick" of adding an international segment seems to me can only work if you are trying to go to a city out of which AA flies international flights. And there's fairly few of those.

But, meanwhile, if you do manage to do this, and do this every year (because you face the same situation every year), do you think AA won't notice?
There are definitely some limitations to this strategy and, yes, you generally have to be transiting an AA hub. I would note that LGA and JFK are considered the same city for this purpose so you could theoretically buy a DFW-LGA + JFK-LHR ticket to enhance award availability.

I don't think AA is likely to spend its resources tracking down people who don't show up for their free tickets. That said, I don't know anyone who actually uses this trick to do that. Instead, if they live in NYC, they book a Hawaii-London ticket with an NYC stopover. They fly Hawaii-NYC and later take another "free" trip to London (you have until ticket expiration to do this (but search the "married segments" threads about a potential wrinkle in doing this). Obviously, this is far more lucrative than throwing away an int'l ticket. And completely "kosher" with AA's rules.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
And yet, in one minute, I found saver coach availability LAX-DFW on Nov 14, contrary to your OP. And as you later clarified, on Thanksgiving day itself as well.

And, of course, plentiful saver F award seats for every day of the month except for 11/14, 11/15, 11/21 and 11/25.

Is it possible that with over 60 million AAdvantage members, and just 3400 combined mainline and Eagle flights daily, that the prime holiday saver coach seats were snapped up by someone else the moment they became available? Or is that not a possibility?
In your zeal to disprove me, you were careless in your research. Those aren't AA flights available -- they are AS. AA now displays some AS availability on their website. To my knowledge, AS does not have a holiday embargo (another great workaround, and one that I would jump on if it worked for your itinerary, as those seats will go fast).

And, as you know yourself, the availability of F seats is a red herring, as there has never been a first class holiday saver embargo. No reason for one, as there is little business-generated demand for first class travel during the Holidays. Of course, if your choice is paying 25K for coach or paying 25K for first class, it's a nobrainer to redeem for FC.

Finally, I'm no statistician, but I would definitely say there is absolutely zero possibility that all the seats on on the embargo days in all these domestic markets have been immediately snapped up.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because there's only zero to a few international travelers looking for such tickets (at those times), while there are zillions of domestic travelers looking for the domestic portion (at those times).

So to the international flying public at this time, making one seat available is "good availability", while to the domestic flying public, making only one seat available (which is immediately snatched up by someone else) is still "bad availability".

(Availability at anytime amounts is always there, as long as there is a seat available on the flight, so it's misleading -- for purposes of anyalysis, anyway -- to say that "the number of miles needed is different".)

What's going on in this case is that there is saver availability for international flyer, while there is no saver availablity for the domestic flyer. The anytime avialabilty is there in both cases, just not necessarily needed in the international case.
This analysis makes sense to me.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jordyn
Wait, you're arguing AA should try to emulate a program that everyone reviles? Why is that good advice, unless you assume that everything that you do that pisses off your customers must be good for business.
AA should never have "established" such a perception or concept that people should always be able to get their Saaver seats if booked 330 days out. Once such expectation is not met, people are complaining like no end as if this is their entitlement. It is NOT.

It only seems to only piss off certain type of customers who apparently holds the perception of the above, because of their unrealistic expectations are not met.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Elite Gold
Does holiday travel extend to all summer? My family flies LAX-YUL every summer. We begin looking 330 days out. While it was tough last year, it is impossible this year. No flights have been released except for random days that have two stops. There is clearly a huge change. My miles feel very similar to SkyMiles. I am checking the latter half of June all way through August. NOTHING!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Well, co-terminals work for the stopover, so you could try to find DFW-LGA/JFK-LHR. You're right, nothing for CLT though.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by greg0ire
Does holiday travel extend to all summer? My family flies LAX-YUL every summer. We begin looking 330 days out. While it was tough last year, it is impossible this year. No flights have been released except for random days that have two stops. There is clearly a huge change. My miles feel very similar to SkyMiles. I am checking the latter half of June all way through August. NOTHING!
No, that's not the same as this holiday travel issue. But as reported in other threads (and re-reported in this thread), in a general sense, AA no longer always releases inventory at 330ish days out. It depends on the route and the cabin whether they do, and then it depends on who knows what when they do if they don't do it right away (when the flight goes on sale).

And, yes, it used to work the way you described, but it's no longer anywhere near that simple.

Either that, or people faster than you are booking it all up very quickly. Someone in this thread mentioned being up at midnight when the inventory opened up, booking an award ticket successfully then, seeing half of the award inventory gone by 3 am, and all of it gone by 6 am. Read back in this thread to figure out what route(s) exactly they were talking about (plus to figure out which timezone the midnight/3/6 were referenced to!).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
Well, co-terminals work for the stopover, so you could try to find DFW-LGA/JFK-LHR. You're right, nothing for CLT though.
And in my case, my holiday trips are now to a smaller city, so the same fate as for CLT.

The other issue: During the years that I'm EXP (only due to double EQM promos), I have to pay for all my international trips to have use of the SWUs I get. I don't want to use award miles for anything beyond the US, even as a trick, because I won't have time to fly overseas for additional trips. So even though my home airport is an AA int'l gateway, and so I could theoretically do this on the return at least, I don't have need or desire to spend the time to do an extra trip overseas each year just to use up the miles for this "trick". (I already have trouble sometimes finding enough vacation time to just take the trips that I'll use the SWUs for!)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

No, that's not the same as this holiday travel issue. But as reported in other threads (and re-reported in this thread), in a general sense, AA no longer always releases inventory at 330ish days out. It depends on the route and the cabin whether they do, and then it depends on who knows what when they do if they don't do it right away (when the flight goes on sale).

And, yes, it used to work the way you described, but it's no longer anywhere near that simple.

Either that, or people faster than you are booking it all up very quickly. Someone in this thread mentioned being up at midnight when the inventory opened up, booking an award ticket successfully then, seeing half of the award inventory gone by 3 am, and all of it gone by 6 am. Read back in this thread to figure out what route(s) exactly they were talking about (plus to figure out which timezone the midnight/3/6 were referenced to!).
Yeah, this stuff probably belongs in the general "Award Availability" thread, but I would submit that the 330 day load is still a useful booking strategy on AA for plan-ahead travellers. I'm no expert on this (I haven't studied it), but it seems to me that more award seats get loaded at 330 days than at any other time in the calendar. And compared to some other airlines I've looked at, like CO, AA still follows the 330-day pattern.

As far as staying up past midnight to grab the first 330-day seats, I would say that practice exists, but is limited. I've played that game to Hawaii for peak times on DL and it does work -- and I could tell other people were playing the game too as seats would quickly disappear. But for most markets -- and YUL would certainly be one of them -- it's completely unnecessary. There aren't enough anal people out there to worry about.

In general, if you really want to force an award seat when the airlines don't want to give you one, you have to be creative. Strip your trip down segment by segment and see where the "problem" is. Consider the option of partners, and non-standard connections (you have 24 hours in a city to make a legal AA award connection). Consider nearby airports and cities. And then once you have a strategy, call instead of relying on the websites. In most cases, you can make something work. I don't think I've ever abandoned an award trip that I wanted because I couldn't find anything. I have, however, switched frequent flyer programs where one program was making the trip particularly difficult to book (usually Skymiles).
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, this stuff probably belongs in the general "Award Availability" thread, but I would submit that the 330 day load is still a useful booking strategy on AA for plan-ahead travellers. I'm no expert on this (I haven't studied it), but it seems to me that more award seats get loaded at 330 days than at any other time in the calendar. And compared to some other airlines I've looked at, like CO, AA still follows the 330-day pattern.

As far as staying up past midnight to grab the first 330-day seats, I would say that practice exists, but is limited. I've played that game to Hawaii for peak times on DL and it does work -- and I could tell other people were playing the game too as seats would quickly disappear. But for most markets -- and YUL would certainly be one of them -- it's completely unnecessary. There aren't enough anal people out there to worry about.

In general, if you really want to force an award seat when the airlines don't want to give you one, you have to be creative. Strip your trip down segment by segment and see where the "problem" is. Consider the option of partners, and non-standard connections (you have 24 hours in a city to make a legal AA award connection). Consider nearby airports and cities. And then once you have a strategy, call instead of relying on the websites. In most cases, you can make something work. I don't think I've ever abandoned an award trip that I wanted because I couldn't find anything. I have, however, switched frequent flyer programs where one program was making the trip particularly difficult to book (usually Skymiles).
No you dont, not on the Canada and USA awards. It is 4 hours only.

The only option you have outside the 4 hours, is the Last flight in First flight out connection if it is a domestic award.

Only Int'l award that involves NA has that 24 hours connection luxury. Pure Int'l awards seem not to have that as being reported a few times that the system priced it as 2 awards.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
But for most markets -- and YUL would certainly be one of them -- it's completely unnecessary. There aren't enough anal people out there to worry about.
Just looking at a few LAX-YUL options in the summer, it appears that the real bottleneck is LAX-(DFW/ORD), as one might expect for hub-hub flights. Sure, there aren't that many anal people who need to travel from LAX to YUL, but taking into account all the LAX customers who want to go somewhere this summer (or all the other customers who want to visit LAX), it's not surprising that awards on such "trunk" routes get snapped up pretty quickly.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by janetdoe
Like right here?

That is SOOOO deceptive. :
Right back at you. Re-read the quoted page first before posting. Embargos apply to PARTICIPATING CARRIERS, and it states as much at the bottom of every participating carrier's AAdvantage page.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by denCSA
Right back at you. Re-read the quoted page first before posting. Embargos apply to PARTICIPATING CARRIERS, and it states as much at the bottom of every participating carrier's AAdvantage page.
And your point is ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.