Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Question about baggage and customs during AA to LAN transfer at SCL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hi,

I've got an upcoming work trip to Concepcion, Chile (CCP). I'm flying AA through DFW to Santiago (SCL), then catching a LAN (LAN express operated) flight to CCP. My hosts in Chile made the reservation, but it shows up in my reservation list when I log in on AA (all legs, including the LAN flight).

My question is: How will baggage work? Will I have to pick up it up in SCL, clear customs, exit security, recheck at the LAN counter, then re-enter the secured area? Or is there something more streamlined?

Also, does anyone with experience have a feeling for how long the process might take?

Thanks for any insight you might have.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by BlueDuke
My question is: How will baggage work? Will I have to pick up it up in SCL, clear customs, exit security, recheck at the LAN counter, then re-enter the secured area?
Yes to all those steps. In addition, you'll need to pay Chile's $140 reciprocity fee before you go through passport control. (If you're a U.S. citizen, that is.) Chile levies the fee to arriving U.S. passengers at SCL because that's the amount a Chilean citizen is charged to apply for a U.S. visa. It's good for the life your passport, so if you make future trips there, you're set until your passport expires.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what is the time between the sked arr & dep at scl per your ticket?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by clacko
what is the time between the sked arr & dep at scl per your ticket?
About 2.5 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.