Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated-archival)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated-archival)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GaryD
It seems the two aircraft were "out of service," not (apparently) due to strike or loads. Would the airline still have to provide such a document in that case?
Absolutely. AA is obligated to pay the EUR600 compensation ( reduced to EUR300 if the person arrives no more than 4 hours late ) in this case.

Also the passenger is entitled to be moved to the next flight to JFK that has availability regardless of the carrier and fare bases within the cabin available

( e.g. an N class booking only requires that there be availability in any economy fare class on the other carrier )
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Low loads" is such a myth. Do some searching.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. I didn't see such a list. I gather than means, "broken."

Forgive me, but what do 7BK and 7CC mean? And, if an aircraft is out of service in SDQ (Santo Domingo), why then would it fly from JFK to NRT, and why would that cause a cancellation at LHR?

7BK and 7CC are aircraft numbers (more specifically, the last three digits of aircraft numbers). These are used to identify specific airplanes.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forgive me, but what do 7BK and 7CC mean?
It's the internal AA code identifying the airplane.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, if an aircraft is out of service in SDQ (Santo Domingo), why then would it fly from JFK to NRT, and why would that cause a cancellation at LHR?
From what I can tell, the full sequence of events is that the out of service airplane 7CC in SDQ was repaired there and flew a delayed AA1752/13FEB, arriving at JFK at 2153 instead of 1835. This was too late for AA104/13FEB JFKLHR, which cancelled alongside with the return AA107/14FEB LHRJFK. Apparently (from the post above) aircraft 7CC was then put into service on the AA167/14FEB JFKNRT, but this factoid is completely irrelevant to the folks at LHR.

LHR is a slot-restricted airport running over capacity, so an aircraft delay will often cause a cancellation.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Absolutely. AA is obligated to pay the EUR600 compensation ( reduced to EUR300 if the person arrives no more than 4 hours late ) in this case.

Also the passenger is entitled to be moved to the next flight to JFK that has availability regardless of the carrier and fare bases within the cabin available

( e.g. an N class booking only requires that there be availability in any economy fare class on the other carrier )
OK. The European Union Common Rules on Compensation and Assistance to Passengers in the Event of Denied Boarding and of Cancellation or Long Delay of Flights, Reg. 261/2004, provides, in Article 5(1)(c)(iii):

Cancellation. In case of cancellation of a flight, the passengers concerned shall ... have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless ... they ... are offered re-routing, allowing them ... to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
So if AA 141 arrives more than five minutes late, she gets 300 Euros. But, it's currently expected three minutes early. Shoot.

Originally Posted by gemac
7BK and 7CC are aircraft numbers (more specifically, the last three digits of aircraft numbers). These are used to identify specific airplanes.
Thanks. That would have been my guess.

Originally Posted by hillrider
From what I can tell, the full sequence of events is that the out of service airplane 7CC in SDQ was repaired there and flew a delayed AA1752/13FEB, arriving at JFK at 2153 instead of 1835. This was too late for AA104/13FEB JFKLHR, which cancelled alongside with the return AA107/14FEB LHRJFK. Apparently (from the post above) aircraft 7CC was then put into service on the AA167/14FEB JFKNRT, but this factoid is completely irrelevant to the folks at LHR.

LHR is a slot-restricted airport running over capacity, so an aircraft delay will often cause a cancellation.
So, rather than using a different aircraft ex-JFK, they cancelled the round trip. Then those cancellations are considered "mechanical." Hmmm. Thanks.

Last edited by magic111; Feb 14, 2012 at 5:16 pm Reason: consecutive posts - please use multi-quote feature in future
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would be surprised if that was the case

Being an ex-UK departure, cancelling due to loads they would definitely be liable to pay compensation EUR600 per person ( EUR300 if delay limits arrival time to < =4hrs late ); even due to strike they may be liable unless they can show the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances that could not have been avoided by any reasonable measure.

If the person was one one of the cancelled flights, did AA provide a copy of the person's rights as they are obligated to do?
Where do I claim this?
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, rather than using a different aircraft ex-JFK, they cancelled the round trip. Then those cancellations are considered "mechanical." Hmmm. Thanks.
Uh? And where does that "different" aircraft come from? Obviously, with one (actually, two) planes inoperable for mechanical reasons, they had to cancel one (actually, two) flights, and it happened to be one where your spouse was booked for. Did you imply that AA should have cancelled a different flight so as not to bother your spouse? With that level of expectations, commercial flying may not be right for you or your spouse: may I recommend NetJets?

And yes, it was mechanical: it wasn't weather, ATC, act of god, or any of the other DOT-specified reasons.

Last edited by hillrider; Feb 14, 2012 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

???
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
Uh? And where does that "different" aircraft come from? Obviously, with one (actually, two) planes inoperable for mechanical reasons, they had to cancel one (actually, two) flights, and it happened to be one where your spouse was booked for. Did you imply that AA should have cancelled a different flight so as not to bother your spouse? With that level of expectations, commercial flying may not be right for you or your spouse: may I recommend NetJets?

And yes, it was mechanical: it wasn't weather, ATC, act of god, or any of the other DOT-specified reasons.
I gather this is a touchy subject. I've probably missed many debates on the issue, being relatively new.

I also realize I should have posted on the existing cancellations thread, sorry.

No, I didn't mean to imply that AA should have cancelled a different flight. I implied two other things: (1) no, it is not "obvious" (to me) that they had to cancel any flight; AA might have jiggered its aircraft at hand to keep all JFK flights operating, for all I know, and (2) if loads are very light on a certain two flights, outbound and return, why not cancel those two, rather than run several other flights late? Makes good business sense to me.

I back away with a calm expression, hands visible ...
Old Feb 14, 2012, 4:02 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

I back away with a calm expression, hands visible ...
This is probably the best line from a post that I've seen in a while

But, in all seriousness, my impression is that the interplay of flights and such doesn't allow much "jiggling." Sort of like trapeze work. Ever see where one person is in the air and the person who is supposed to catch them is not there? Neither have I...but I can't imagine it's a pretty sight

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 6:56 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by gemac
7BK and 7CC are aircraft numbers (more specifically, the last three digits of aircraft numbers).
Actually, those are complete fleet - as opposed to registration - numbers for those airplanes.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:29 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
OKC delays 2/15/12

FYI for anyone traveling, local news (KOKH Fox 25) is reporting all flights to OKC diverted due to fog.

FWIW, I'm about 3 miles from the airport, and it's a normal cloudy day. I don't see flights updated on the airport website as delayed yet (www.flyokc.com)
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Well, that didn't last long - reporting that fog is lifted. Still some delays as a result, but working back towards normal operations.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:55 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Flight AA 118 Starboard Engine Hit By Freight Loader

AA 118 LAX-JFK N325AA was cancelled this morning due to having its starboard engine hit by the one of the freight handlers turning his loader into the side of the engine. I was sitting in J right above the wing and saw it right after he did it. The damage was about 1 foot long and while not severe, I knew right away they would scrub the flight. Poor guy looked anguished and irritated at himself - a mistake I'm surprised doesn't happen more often. But he will likely lose his job.

LAX 705A T4 48B JFK 8 33 330P1FX CANCEL LAX -JFK -RMKS ACCT A/C N325 A/C DAMG *09264LAX/OUT0648 *08483LAX/ETD0830 *09137LAX/AUTO REACCOM CANCELLED FLT SEE N*0118FEB15LAX P2 *0929*CRCYMG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.