Can I swap seats with my husband?

Old Dec 25, 11, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Can I swap seats with my husband?

I have 2 award tickets to Madrid on AA flights in October. There was only 1 business seat released so far on AA 36 DFW-MAD. I booked my husband in it and myself in coach. I will monitor the releasing of more business seats and try to get one for my self over the next 10 months. I have the same situation o nthe rerun flights-AA 37 MAD-DFW has only one business award seat so far and I put myself in it today.

Let's say no more business seats become available. When we board the flight, can I sit in the business seat with my husbands' name on it and he take the coach seat with my name? My AA miles were used for the tickets and I did all the planning. My husband says this is okay with him. Will the flight attendants care?

Also, since the business seat gets one of us into the lounge, can the other come in as a guest while holding a coach ticket? Or would they make one of us stay outside?
Old Dec 25, 11, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
I have 2 award tickets to Madrid on AA flights in October. There was only 1 business seat released so far on AA 36 DFW-MAD. I booked my husband in it and myself in coach. I will monitor the releasing of more business seats and try to get one for my self over the next 10 months. I have the same situation o nthe rerun flights-AA 37 MAD-DFW has only one business award seat so far and I put myself in it today.

Let's say no more business seats become available. When we board the flight, can I sit in the business seat with my husbands' name on it and he take the coach seat with my name? My AA miles were used for the tickets and I did all the planning. My husband says this is okay with him. Will the flight attendants care?

Also, since the business seat gets one of us into the lounge, can the other come in as a guest while holding a coach ticket? Or would they make one of us stay outside?
Flight attendant will generally not care when you let them know at the start of the flight that you have swapped seats with your husband. However, if you plan on swapping seats mid-flight, they may not look favorably on that at all.

Unless you or your husband are at least PLT, you will not be allowed a guest in the AC.

AC rules can be found here: https://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?p=...onalPassengers
Old Dec 25, 11, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I asked an FA once if she minded if we switched and she said there was no problem as long as we didn't switch mid-flight.
Old Dec 25, 11, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I've handed my husband my boarding pass for a higher class or service and taken his economy seat with no issues, but we did not visit during the flights. It doesn't matter whose miles got the tickets.

Sometimes it does give the FA's a serious chuckle.
Old Dec 25, 11, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP
There were times when NWA would not let me switch seats with my spouse, but I've never been denied by AA.
Old Dec 25, 11, 11:05 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
why would you even ask them... just take your husbands bp and storm into business like you own the place, sit down and drink some champagne

they prob wont even ask you for a bp, if they do show your husbands and explain the story
Old Dec 25, 11, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
yep....swap bp's.....
Old Dec 25, 11, 11:10 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by cagalindo View Post
why would you even ask them... just take your husbands bp and storm into business like you own the place, sit down and drink some champagne

they prob wont even ask you for a bp, if they do shows your husbands and explain the story
The FAs do greet passengers by name more often than not on international routes so the likelihood of them noticing is significant. Letting them know beforehand just avoids an unnecessary conversation later.
Old Dec 25, 11, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
No problem to switch upon boarding....just let the Purser know (it's a 763, so the Purser will be working J).

Don't try it after the door closes or in flight. Could land you in all sorts of trouble.
Old Dec 25, 11, 11:20 am

It should be fine. Ask nicely and I don't think you will have anything to worry about. Switching seats or visits in business class are not okay.
Old Dec 25, 11, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
No problem to switch upon boarding....just let the Purser know (it's a 763, so the Purser will be working J).

Don't try it after the door closes or in flight. Could land you in all sorts of trouble.
why? except for the obvious fact that flight attendants want to prevent interlopers. If you explain the matter and provide proof, why would this be an issue?
Old Dec 25, 11, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by OxonCantab View Post
why? except for the obvious fact that flight attendants want to prevent interlopers. If you explain the matter and provide proof, why would this be an issue?
"Security" issues, I'm sure.
Old Dec 25, 11, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by OxonCantab View Post
Unfortunately, people can take advantage of switching, sometimes back and forth. Drinking up all the booze, asking for extra food and snacks etc...

HP
Old Dec 25, 11, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We have politely asked if we could switch on overnight flights and never been denied. I don't drink and am usually ok with the coach meal so he will have dinner in C, then switch right when it is lights out time. He stays up and watches movies or plays games on his laptop all night- I like to get some sleep. We are very quiet and discreet and try not to disrupt service or other passengers in any way.
Old Dec 25, 11, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Before departure- yes

I have had the purser not allow mid-flight changes on several routes even though the approval of the FA .

Search this Thread
Search Engine: