Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really AA Agent? (upgrade rules / F going out not full)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum/UA 1K/Global Entry
Really AA Agent? (upgrade rules / F going out not full)

Im an AA Plat. Yesterday I was traveling MIA-SJU with my family of 5 but with a reservation of 2 and one of 3. My wife(gold) and I on one, and my 3 kids on the other. My wife and I got upgraded 72 hrs out, and so we went to the airport with 2 F seats and 3 Y seats. We got to the gate and found out that there were 11 F seats still open and no one on the upgrade list. The agent said that I could claim one of my kids for the upgrade, and my wife could claim the other, leaving one child in economy. I decided just to upgrade 1 so at least we would have 3 and 2. As the plane was boarding, still with 11 seats open in F, the agent still refused to let us bring up the last child and gave 3 seats to crew and left 8 seats left empty. Also, we were all on FULL FARE economy tickets (B). I find it ridiculous that when all their competitors give complimentary upgrades to all elites, AA refuses to let 1 child sit on a full fare ticket sit in first class when there are 11 open seats. I know that its all about which gate agent you get because I know many gate agents would have no problem bringing one person up in that situation. Thoughts?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:05 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jgs172
Thoughts?
As an EXP who upgrades all the time, I appreciate the fact that AA will let some seats go out empty (better for me) than fill it with ineligible upgraders. So, I support this decision.

Were I the PLT with a family of 5, I'd likely think differently

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Im an AA Plat. Yesterday I was traveling MIA-SJU with my family of 5 but with a reservation of 2 and one of 3. My wife(gold) and I on one, and my 3 kids on the other. My wife and I got upgraded 72 hrs out, and so we went to the airport with 2 F seats and 3 Y seats. We got to the gate and found out that there were 11 F seats still open and no one on the upgrade list. The agent said that I could claim one of my kids for the upgrade, and my wife could claim the other, leaving one child in economy. I decided just to upgrade 1 so at least we would have 3 and 2. As the plane was boarding, still with 11 seats open in F, the agent still refused to let us bring up the last child and gave 3 seats to crew and left 8 seats left empty. Also, we were all on FULL FARE economy tickets (B). I find it ridiculous that when all their competitors give complimentary upgrades to all elites, AA refuses to let 1 child sit on a full fare ticket sit in first class when there are 11 open seats. I know that its all about which gate agent you get because I know many gate agents would have no problem bringing one person up in that situation. Thoughts?
Why didn't you just do a miles upgrade for the remaining kids since you were on a B fare?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT,VS Silver,SPG gold, Hilton, AMEX Plat, BA nothing.
Next time do the right thing and make your wife sit in the back.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:17 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If everyone really had a B fare then everyone could have upgraded for free strictly on the basis of the ticket.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AA 2MM+; Marriott Plt; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RedSox
Next time do the right thing and make your wife sit in the back.
+1 on THAT one! ^
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
You unfortunately got an AAgent who wouldn't budge from the rules.

With F wide open like that, and with no elites on the upgrade list, I've been allowed on several occasions to upgrade more than 1 companion. In all instances though this was done at the AC, and they were more than happy to do it since F was pretty empty.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:24 pm

If the child was upgraded, so why did the FA refuse? Did you use stickers or miles to upgrade?

The only way the upgrade would have processed would be to split the reservation between you and your wife, and split the children's reservation into 1 and 2. Then link the 1 child to yours and process the upgrade. Did she do all of that? Or did she just tell you that she will give the free upgrade?

OP, can you clarify your story? You said the the "FA refused to bring the last child up" but you mentioned that there were 2 children in the back as you decided not to have a single child alone?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Traveling LGA-MCO a couple years ago as an EXP I had a GA let me upgrade +3 children. I thought it was nice. One the way back they only allowed +1 and I was fine with that. Back with TW I once had a GA upgrade +4 when two of us were already in F JFK-SJU. That was really nice. Both were Christmas holiday trips.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
If everyone really had a B fare then everyone could have upgraded for free strictly on the basis of the ticket.
Any idea why AA contradicts itself on the website?

Here it says Y/B fares are entitled to complimentary upgrades.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...#complimentary

Yet on the chart, it shows you need 8K miles to upgrade a Y/B fare.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rade-chart.jsp
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP .72MM
I think they should use common sense and fill empty F

Common Sense says space available let the kids sit with parents....as an EXP I like having the seat next to me empty sometimes....just saying .

AA sometimes lets F seats go empty and wont even let other elites up front without charging them...I never agreed with that rule until I made EXP!!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Non-elites can upgrade using stickers when flying on a Y or B ticket. I suppose the additional upgrade wasn't worth buying the two stickers for MIA-SJU.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by favalarry69
I never agreed with that rule until I made EXP!!
“Where you stand depends on where you sit.”
― Nelson Mandela

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by sukn
Any idea why AA contradicts itself on the website?

Here it says Y/B fares are entitled to complimentary upgrades.

Yet on the chart, it shows you need 8K miles to upgrade a Y/B fare.
The 8k miles gets you a confirmed or waitlisted upgrade at booking, the sticker upgrade gets processed after all elite upgrade requests. 8k miles could be a relatively cheap way to buy peace of mind.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Ambraciot
The 8k miles gets you a confirmed or waitlisted upgrade at booking, the sticker upgrade gets processed after all elite upgrade requests. 8k miles could be a relatively cheap way to buy peace of mind.
Well, it's so obvious when you put it like that. Excuse my brain fart.

So it seems if all five members of the OP's party were on a real Y/B fare, the Mom (GLD) and the DAD (PLT) could have requested complimentary upgrades for one kid each. The third kid could have been upgraded using 8K miles or two stickers purchased and deposited into his account.

Hopefully the OP will use all of this information we have provided to make sure everyone in his party gets upgraded on the return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.